How to call Mt Lions

dirtygrass

I have been hunting Mt Lions for a long time, I have never killed one. I have used different strategies over the years but in a nutshell I find a fresh track and follow it, calling in different intervals, usually sit for 20 minutes and then move. I have a ton of cats in my area as my trail cam shows, I have several pictures of at least 4-6 different cats in the last 2 months. All of my photos are during the dark. I hunt around an old burn in Colorado, and the cats are killing a lot of deer, I found 2 does and a 182 buck killed by a cat in one day.

I do have a guy that has dogs but its difficult to time everything right do to the poor access into this area.

I was hoping for some insight into calling cats, my way sure as hell doesn't work.

Heeeeereee, kitty kitty kitty . . .
Heeeeereee, kitty kitty kitty . . .

Hope you at least smiled at that.

Personally, I think you are making a mistake calling after tracking them for a while. I would try two things.
First, do you have a partner that would go with you? If you want to try tracking then follow a fresh track but have the second hunter stay about 200 yards behind the first one. Cats will almost always here you coming and sneaking up on them is just about impossible in my mind. But, they will loop back on their track to try and see what it following them. Have the second hunter looking uphill from the track. Sometimes you can find them watching over their backtrail and sometimes the second hunter is just too much pressure and they will bust out. I know a pair of guys that have killed multiple cats this way and missed several more. (They have a lot of cats in their area as hound hunting is illegal and the deer pour into their private ground during the winter.)

If you want to call I would go in to a likely area before dark and sit until first light. Then start calling. People who have been successful at this have said cats take a lot longer than coyotes or foxes, they are more suspicious or curious for some reason. A lot of times they will hang up at a brush line or tree line and try to get a visual on what is making the noise. If you are able to make a natural blind before light that you can glass from that would be even better. Guys say they will call off and on for an hour or more before leaving to make a new set. I don't wait more than 20 or 30 minutes before moving when calling coyotes.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

I've by freak accident called one lion in. Needless to say wasn't what either me nor the cat were expecting. Besides that every thin I have read is they come in slow and it can take an hr or 2 of calling. Another option is ifor you find a fresh kill is to sit it and hope it shows back up in the day light.

http://www.rain-shadow.com/
These guys have more info than anyone I've seen. They can't use dogs in their state so they had to learn another way. I've called in a couple with a fawn in distress. Only tagged one while elk hunting-not sure if it came to calls or not as we hadn't called for about an hour and had been moving. All of a sudden it was 20 yards in front of us! One of those once in a lifetime hunts I'll never forget.

That a good website for getting started.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I've had the best luck with deer distress sounds. Although we did call one in using a rabbit distress call in '15.
They see any slight movement so take that into consideration when setting up on a stand.

That cat was busy! He killed a buck every 8 seconds for 24 hours? Where are you hunting? Why does he like bucks vs doe so much? Did it look like a battlefield?

Hunted pretty hard all season long, never really received enough snow to track them or run with dogs. 2 weeks after season closed I was driving in and he was standing off the side of the road about 50 yards away. My neighbor saw him a week after I did and I got a picture of him on my game cam 5 days before season closed,
14744img3802.jpg

Set up in an area where you know the cats like to hunt. Sneak in undetected to a high vantage point. Make sure to have the wind in your face while overlooking an opening where you have previously placed a large bag of catnip and a ball of yarn. You're welcome.

Call longer maybe hour.my son. Got a cat the first 3 times he went out.he only shot 1.his friends got the others . One he an his friend snuck within 62 yards of 4. Moms a 3 kittens 15 months old. They shot the momma. I the kits were full grown..the next one they tracked it. Came out of cave 8ft from him.i think he ##### . His pants.lol.he called one 68yards.he loves hunting cats.he crawled in many caves to get them. He got balls or is crazy young an invincible. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom