How to hunt wolves?

RockyDog

Does anyone think hunting wolves can be more than a chance thing? Im in the bitterroot and am wondering if they can be howled in or if i got on a track and just followed hard if there might be any chance of getting a shot.

My elk tag is filled so Id love to do help meet that quota.

I have a blind and a treestand in areas that I know they frequent. I plan on calling, lost calf type calls. Its a crapshoot, most are going to be killed by chance IMHO.

I know a small pack pretty well in the Northern Bitterroots in a roadless area. As soon as my bull hits the ground I plan on spending a couple days just glassing the hell out of the drainage and possibly trying to stalk or intercept one.

Never been in there first part of elk season though, its mainly a shed/bear hunting spot for me, so they might get pushed around or shot at opening day and move out.

I kind of agree though, very few will be shot by guys actually targeting wolves, and the ones that will are the guys like drahthaar that know the packs really well.

From what I've heard Rock... they are callable... IF you get into vicinity... sorta like other predators..if you just set up and start calling blind... pretty low odds..if you call after hearing them, seeing or seeing fresh sign... you have a much better chance...

I'd like to see you nock one over...

I think you have to make it good the first time though, if they come in and bust you, its over. My fear is that there are two other guys that know where my blind is, if one of them see one and touch one off, that spot is probably done for the next 2 months. LOL. Then it will be a prayer to see one.

My money is on draathrar bagging a wolf. Based on what ive read february is the best time to call wolves in. I read in alberta they hunt wolves by sitting blinds over bait sites. Ive never heard of a wolf feeding on a kill they did not make. Heck they dont even feed on their own kills here. Alberta wolves must be hungrier than ours.

If I happened to know where a den or two were located, how often, and what time of year do wolves use them? IF I happened to know of a den or two and had GPS co-ordinates. mtmuley

Sure didn't take long for those wolves to get shot up. 6:45 am I am in my best spot in my treestand, and they started in howling. 200 yards tops. My biggest fear was that they were going to come down the road too fast and it would not be shooting light. But they moved off to the east instead further into the next property I don't have permission to hunt. Howled off and on until light maybe 8:15. Then all of a sudden pow-pow-pow-pow-pow, semi automatic, small caliber shooting. Sounded like the guy was right in the middle of them.

I wish I knew what the outcome was. Other than my spot is done.

We got in a small pack on opening day, they were pretty holed up though with the elk slaughter/circus going on around them. Tuesday my buddy was still over there and got back in them, unfortunately the day after they closed the unit.

Headed next week into the area I talked about above, no wolves have been tagged out of that area yet, hard to say if they've been shot at or not.

Anybody else got on them yet?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom