How to remove antelope sheaths???

pauns08

Ok I shot an antelope in 2020 and took the cape to a taxidermist to get mounted and that ended up being an ordeal, long story short I lost the cape and a deposit. So now I want to put the horns on a reproduction skull to have it at least European mounted. What's the best way to get the sheaths off after this long?

You will probably have rehydrated them in some water. That's the first thing the taxi should have done
Ya I've had them soaking in water for a couple days, one horn came off after about 5 hours of simmering it in hot water but the other horn is being a pain in the a$$

Ok I shot an antelope in 2020 and took the cape to a taxidermist to get mounted and that ended up being an ordeal, long story short I lost the cape and a deposit. So now I want to put the horns on a reproduction skull to have it at least European mounted. What's the best way to get the sheaths off after this long?
Just have @Uttaxi1 get you a cape and get it mounted! He has mine right now and I can’t wait to have it completed and get it back! Look at his work there is attention to detail in all of his work!

Just boil it for several minutes and keep checking it till the membrane is soft. Make sure you add some borax and a little dawn soap. They will slip off with very light twisting. Hope that helps.

Just boil it for several minutes and keep checking it till the membrane is soft. Make sure you add some borax and a little dawn soap. They will slip off with very light twisting. Hope that helps.
Ya that's exactly what I did but they were on there for 3 years so it took a little longer than several minutes It took about 4 days lol

I just did mine. Video on Youtube said simmer for 15 min or so and then the horn would pull off easily.... NOPE! I had to simmer it for about an hour and half, then they both came off. I did realize that it is not so much pulling it off as it is twisting it, and twisting it the right way. After I figured that out, the second horn came right off no problem. Don't ask me which way to twist it, clockwise or counter as I do not remember :ROFLMAO:

Antelope skulls tend to hold more grease than deer skulls. Where yours sat for 3 years you might want to get it white and then soak it in acetone. The acetone will draw out grease that simmering, borax, and dawn misses. Here's one that got soaked in acetone I did for a friend.
IMG_4440.JPG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom