How to repay for a helpful hand?

TheOneRidgeRunner

While hunting the muzzy hunt I found myself pulling up to hunt one of my favorite canyons. There was another hunter, also getting ready to hike in.
We talked for about 15 minutes then went our seperate ways. Later that evening I ended up killing a very respectable buck for the area. After gutting the deer I hiked to the top to drop my gun and get a little more gear. The other hunter and I met up once again, and I asked if he was willing to help. He replied "lets get it done" so off we went. I think it ended up being more than he bargined for. Two hours later the deer was in my truck and we were both loaded to leave.
Without his help I would have been in there for hours and proably another driving trip to get the deer out.
I would like to repay this hunter for his time and all the effort he put in helping me retrive my animal..
What would you guys like as token of thanks for this kind of help?? I've got a few ideas, but what would you think of doing?

Get him a gift certificate to Cabelas or the like..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I finally walked out and asked/had a guy get his rig all the way up this road from hell to where i had been buck hunting and camping from my rig that had a dead battery. The guy saved my butt as there were no other hunters around and few could get their rigs up to where i was anyway.

I knew the owners of a local Steak House not too many miles away, dining spot, nice Bar,... and told him when he came through that town again, which he said that he did, dinner and drinks for two would be waiting for him, on me!

I cleared it with the Owner and several weeks later, She, the owner, presented me with a Dinner and Drinks ticket of about $75. Well worth it IMO and i believe the guy that went way out of his way to give me a jump felt well compensated for his efforts.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Maybe return the favor and go with him if he has a late cow tag or something like that and help him get his cow off the mountain?

Or maybe----

Get him a G-Certificate at a Maverick for some fuel....

Robb

"do like many of us , and do the same for the next hunter,,,"

I agree with that too. Can't remember near the times i've offered to help someone out in the woods but the last time was yesterday. Still though, there are times when someone being helped might want to repay the thanks of a helping hand a bit further. I can understand why the OP asked his question.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

A SMALL AMOUNT OF CASH MAY SEEM A BIT OFF THE MARK, BUT WITH THE PRICE OF GAS AND SUCH IT MAY BE A GREAT DEED IN HIS EYES. MOST LIKELY EASIER FOR BOTH PARTIES AS WELL...............YD.

1) Pass it on. That I what I like about hunting. You meet some really nice people.

2) If you live close enough buy the guy a steak dinner. Good hunting partners are hard to find.

Usually when I get help it is from a friend so when I finish butchering I take over several packages of meat (steaks, a roast or two and some hamburger).

If I was to recieve on the spot help from a stranger I would probably have offered him one of the quarters of the deer.

I always help a fellow hunter when I can... PAY it forward. Makes us all look good!!

Buy the guy a $50.00 gift certificate for a good dinner out in his area. That way he could take his wife or girlfriend out to a nice dinner and he will be willing to help again in the future.
While speaking on this subject. My father-in-law taught me that it is a good gesture to take a "CARE" package to any rancher that allowed us to hunt his property. We did this many times for ranchers in Wyoming that allowed us free trespass or a very reasonable rate trespass fee.
The package would consist of 5-10 pounds of rice from our local area. Several pounds of nuts and dried fruit. Items that were grown in our area and we could get at a reasonable price, but was expensive for that rancher due to having to be shipped in by truck. We also took the rancher and wife out to dinner as a way of saying thanks. We never had a problem getting invited back for another hunt.

RELH

I help guys all the time pack out game. I also help change tires on vehicles when I see someone working on them. karma always comes back around and who knows when ill be the one in need.

If a guy wants to give me something great but I usually dont want it. If he insists im not going to turn him down and hurt his feelings over it.

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

I've tried to help friends and strangers when I can. I never expect anything in return but I sure appreciated when it's offered.
Thanks Littlebighorn for the steak dinner from a couple years back. That was a fine gesture but certainly not expected!

OP, I'm glad you ran into a true sportsman. He is to be commended for his helpful nature.

There are a bunch of guys out there like that and I suspect many of the posters on this thread are cut from the same cloth.

Zeke

What a great thing for the guy to do.

A buddy had a buck tag that took non residents about 12 points to draw for deer 3 years ago and run into this other hunter on his quad. We were stopped glassing a mid 165's buck when the gentleman pulled up to us. He asks us if we had seen anything and he proceeds to tell us he hadn't seen any decent bucks and he had been there for 5 days hunting.

So we take him to the ridge we were glassing and show him the buck we were looking at. He states I will shoot that (buddy had already decided he wasn't gonna shoot it). So this old timer (about 70-75) gets ready and is shaking so hard that he reminded me of myself. Buck fever had set in and he cant find the buck in his scope at 150 yards. So I tell him to put his gun down and relax a moment and take some deep breaths(wish I took my own advice on more than a couple occasions). He does this and finally calms down enough (the deer didn't have any clue we were there). He shoots and drops the buck.

Me and my buddy then go with him down to the deer. At this point he states that he hasn't gutted an animal in about 20 years. So we cape it out gut it and also pack it to his wheeler for him.

I think I was just as excited helping the old timer out as he was to shoot the buck. Could not have been a nicer guy and it was well worth helping the gentleman out just seeing how excited he was. It was like seeing a kid take his first animal. We followed him back to camp where his buddy had killed another buck about the same size as his. Could not have been two happier guys.

Was well worth it helping him.

I would not have let him give us anything (even though he tried) it was worth the help!!!!!!

I certainly agree that paying it forward is good for everyone. I also think following through with something to acknowledge this guy's assistance will make this guy's day, as he made yours. It can be a letter, or a gift cert for dinner/cabelas. I don't ever think cash seems right to me. Most times a guy won't accept cash anyway, it's a pride thing I think. Of course some home made jerky/jam/etc. is the best as it takes real effort.

Either way, good job to him for helping and good job to you for wanting to acknowledge him.

PS Did you cut that deer up or have him help you drag it gutted?

Thanks guys for all the input. I've deffinately payed it forward in years past and will continue to do so.
Just wish more would do the same, a little time and effort helps us all out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom