HOW TO

vinihunt

Hi,

bought 2005 travel trailer, winter is coming soon,how do u prevent having field mouse or any mice going in, makin a nest inside the trailer? checked any holes or enterance in the frame, nothing! how can hell mouse go in trailer?

after clean up, put some stuff away for the winter, notice some mouse pooped, so i decided to put mouse trap and see if mouse are in the trailer, good enough, next day killed 1 mice so i put decon, was wondering how do u prevent having mouse die inside the trailer with the smell and decay?

don't want have wife scare with the smell comin in spring! u might never know she wont go camping again (hahaha)

vinihunt :)

Vinnie,
I don't have a trailer but know a fella that had the same problem back in the early 80's with them getting into his trailer while camped in the Grey's river area in Wyo. Seal off all holes around pipes under the trailer, vents etc. Mice can get through a very small hole and even under a gape on the bottom of doors etc. It may not look like Mice can get slide under or though a small crack or opening, but they can.
With Decon after they eat the stuff, it makes them thirsty and they go to find water, BANG the arsenic in to is released and its lights out for them. At least that is the way I was told.

Just seal up any slight gape or hole and you should be ok.

Brian

Vini,

I have a lot of experience battling the little gray things. I attempt to keep them out of my seed barn and seed storage. I use a ton of decon every year, it kills them but they will die inside and smell really bad. I don't recomend using any mouse bait inside anywhere you don't want it to smell. The chemical used is a blood thinner and it makes them die of internal hemorhage. Stick to the traps.

BeanMan

Vini,
Cover up all holes underneath your camper, I prefer to have a pro do it at an RV place.

The worst thing you can do to a camper (new or old) is at any time store dog food in it. This sounds crazy but a little bit of dog food will drive the mice crazy during the winter time and they will find a way into your camper. I've seen brand new (2000 and newer) campers destroyed by mice.

Also be carefull with the poison type of baits if you have any pets or rug ratts. I know of a few dogs that had died from eating decon, and you definately don't want a small child getting ahold of it. I have also heard that mice cannot chew through steel wool. Good luck

The expandable foam sealer that comes in a can works great. i sealed my trailer 6-7 years ago cuz of the same thing and haven't had a problem sence.

excellent info...i ll just keep checkin and see how it goes! appreciate with the information!

thank you very much and good luck on your coming hunting!

vinihunt :)

Vin, I second the expandable foam sealer....it work's like a charm. And it's paintable, so you could camouflage it and start a new trailer trend!

Just put some mouse food out say cheese! Then grab your .44 auto mag. Sit in the dark and when ya hear them turn on the light and blast away. Makes for good winter recreation. The hunt season last a long time. If your not getting enough shooting try drilling some holes in the floor for better access. Add a mouse ramp and ladder helps also.

A bucket of water and a ramp up to the bucket works. leave the water down just a little. They climb up the ramp jump in to get a drink and wa la. for real.
Rut

quack away

kw,

The mice are still bad up in the Greys River area! We camp up there every summer, and they get into everything if you're not careful. Makes things interesting that's for sure. :)

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

I like your idea best rutnbuck.
Amazingly there is an old homestead here in the valley where the old timers that lived there did that exact thing you described(with pistols)
The place is abandoned now & one day while I drove by the place with a friend he told me the story & I called bull$hit, so we stopped & went inside & sure enough there were bullet holes (large caliber) all over the baseboards & lower part of the old house, he told me that they were also moonshiners & would get drunk & have hours of live entertainment.

I hear ya BFE
I have done it also in an old camper I had. I was camped in a logging camp. Well it wasn't mice. It was a want to be friend Pack Rat. The travling trader of the mice clan. Ya know a dog on Pack Rat will trade you a #2 can of fruit for a turd or a pine cone. I am thinking a #2 can of fruit weighs 3lbs.
Well the little vermon will trade anything of value that is shiney for some kind of forest crud. Now he usually takes the shiney object out and decorates his den. Looks something like a beaver hut with ornaments. Ya know things like watches knifes can openers and bullets.
Well a mouse trap don't work, and the critters can chew through a 1/4 " plate steel. But the .44 works well. Oh don't let them bluff ya with their big baby browns eyes. They are frecking wicked.
As a kid I had a friend that had rats at his ranch. Well we would take the BB guns out and shoot the heck out of them. You would always have to shoot one 3-4 times. Well we couldn't afford BB's so after killing one we would go dig the bb's out of the dead rat. And kill another one.

I have seen mice crawl between a crack the thickness of a pencil and these were not baby mice either. Seal it up good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom