How was GMU 76 Elk this year?

oldmossback

My son has enough points for this unit 1st rifle next year. Was wondering how it went this year? Is it rebounding from the fire a few years ago? Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-15 AT 06:15AM (MST)[p]My dad and I hunted during the archery season last year. We were into good 280" - 300" bulls every day. I saw a 350 bull on two different days but couldn't make it happen before some muzzle loader hunters spooked him out of the area. Also called in a 340 bull to 18 yards but he locked up behind a tree with me at full draw and spooked when I had to let up.
I was holding out for something 330+ since we took three weeks off to hunt. I threw my back out of place after two weeks and we had to leave early and I ate my tag.
That was the 4th time we had hunted the unit so know it pretty well. As non-residents we won't ever draw the tag again but I have two sons that will eventually have enough points to draw the archery tag.
Was really disappointed with the number of dead trees from the pine beetles. Nothing like it was 15 years ago on our last hunt there.

76 is still a special place and we have always had a great time in that unit. Good luck.

7627photo3.jpg

Hunted 1st season rifle this year. Fantastic hunt, and one of the most beautiful areas in this country. Feel free to PM me if you would like more information.

"Was really disappointed with the number of dead trees from the pine beetles. Nothing like it was 15 years ago on our last hunt there".

Douglas Fir Tussock Moth and Spruce Budworm. They are killing fir spp. and spruce, not pines. (just in case you were wondering)

SD or others, any more pics of that country? I miss Rocketmans pics he used to post. Looks like some spectacular country.

I should probably explain myself so you would not misunderstand my tree and insect comment.

I grew up the Son of a career Forester who taught us kids Dendrology. I also studied Entomology and later Plant Breeding in College. On one of my first elk hunts my buddy tried to point out an elk across the canyon. It was under "that large pine tree". I looked closely through the scope for a long time before telling my bud that I couldn't see a pine tree on the entire hillside. It was then I learned that "Pine Tree' was generic for all conifers amongst most people.

If you chose unit 61 I could give you a lot of help.

Budrow
That is correct, it is in the West Fork of Pole Creek drainage. We found the skull, rack and a few bones in the meadow next to the wallow. We called in a couple of old timers that were muzzle loader hunting just shortly after I took that photo. I think they must have picked up the rack as it was gone later that day.
About a week after that picture I called in a huge cinnamon phase black bear to 10 yards not far from there.

Here is a pic of some elk that got out onto a patch of grass in one of the rock slides near that bench. They certainly didn't want to cross the rocks!

5664img0469.jpg

And here is a pic from up on top above that same bench.

7391img0468.jpg

How were the deer? I am debating burning 14 deer points for a muzzleloader hunt - I hunted archery elk there years ago and saw a lot of nice deer before the bad 2007 winter.

Saw more deer this year than past hunts in the unit - mostly does. Did see a couple 170 class bucks. Wasn't looking for deer though so I'm sure there are more if you are looking in the right areas.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom