How was your hunt this year? (DEER)

tough, needed to try some new areas but ended up with a good buck. Didn't see near the amount of deer or sign I normally do. Had to look for them on near, along steep dark north facing slopes. Temps were too warm for them in their normal hangouts.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

We did well in muzzy and 2nd season. I was worried about hunting third this year because of early dates, full moon and the possibility of no weather. Saw one shooter during both seasons but the weather was tough in 2nd season. Just means more deer for next year.

Ricj

Wasn't ideal, but we were able to kill couple decent bucks.

No rut whatsoever thru 3rd season. Should have been good for 4th.

Only got to hunt a couple days near the end of the 3rd season. Didn't see any signs of the rut. The deer were up higher in the thick stuff. Even saw some bucks still grouped up together. Should holdover some nice deer for next year.

I archery hunted a second choice high country unit and had several stalks on a really nice 185" typical. Never did close the deal on him and couldn't find him after muzzleloader season. I shot a nice four point the last week of the season.

Good year overall.

Best year we have had. We did see ruting activate and most of the hunters where going back to camp not going to last minute dad killed his with 8 minutes of legal shooting time left and I had 2 or 3 minutes

Had a fun hunt. Looking for that 180+" white whale of a buck around Gunnison. 1 guy had a stalk opportunity on a deer that was that class of deer, but it didn't work out. Wind changed and he didn't stick around to figure out what was going on. I probably should have shot him, but no way in heck I was pulling the trigger first day. So everyone (3) ended up shooting a decent representation of the species.

It was tough for me. Saw a couple good bucks, but nothing close to what I wanted. Didn't see a single buck I would guess was over 180. The first few days were good as far as seeing bucks, but after that the hunter activity and warm temps really had them hunkered down.
Both my Utah and Wyoming hunts were better. Utah & Wyoming better?!?!?! Didn't think I'd ever be saying that!!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Mine was great I got lucky and got a tag that I did not expect and told myself/others it would take a 185"+ type buck or one over 30" for me to pull the trigger. I got to hunt with my wife, took out 2 hunters who had never been before and they are now going to take hunters safety, as well as getting out with my 3 year old daughter and 3 mo old another night. The warm temps were shitty for hunting deer but good for getting first timers out.

As my 3 yr old put it so eloquently why dont you catch one of the big ones in the field behind the house. Hahah yea that would be a lot easier! I again decided to hunt public land as shooting a deer of any size on seldom hunted private land - after taking 10 steps from a truck is well to call a spade a spade boring, kinda silly, and not worth it to me no matter how many inches the tape reads when you load it whole in the back....

Moon phase did not help either but by the last 3 days of the season the bucks were in the rut and over the hunt I passed on 8-9 bucks in the 150" to 160" class - with one that would have gone over 170" but who is a young buck so let him go. The wife and I were able to watch him rut for more than a hour and eventually chase a doe with in 100 yds of us. Saw him a couple of days after the season so hopefully we he will be back next yr as the wife sure took a liking to him and next year she should have the tag.

I did find some very good deer sheds and after not hunting with a rifle for about 8 years it was good to see that not many people are hunting my spots as I imagine that hunters would pick up the sheds.

sheds_zpsea74ae96.jpg

All in all a awesome hunt that I could not turn up a great buck to pull the trigger on. I should have hunted more north facing slopes instead I hunted lower area's that I knew deer wintered and hoped a big un would appear late in the season.

Congrats to all that were successful.

>I thought you could only hunt
>one season for deer? Archery,
>muzzleloader or rifle? Maybe I'm
>wrong.

He only hunted archery. Couldn't find the buck he was chasing after the muzzleloader season passed.

Wishing you had got a monster! I had to giggle at that antique shed or what's left of it you packed out. I can't pass up a shed no matter how old it is either :)

Mntman

>wah wah wah......
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-14 AT 07:14AM (MST)[p]Yea that one is far gone and I know the sheds get larger when they decompose but that one is close to having a base the size of a beer can. Would have loved to see that guy on the hoof.

The 2 pt skull the wife carried out as that one would have stayed put if it were just me as it was kinda stinky. I did carry out a spike set and a couple of others but I think they made their way to the cousins house after all the girls got together then hid and found some sheds in the yard :).

The sad news is that I found what must have been 10 different deer carcass in the area so there must be a cat working it - with one more spike buck skull that stayed put. I told my buddy who guides the cat hunts in the area so hopefully either him or a client can get it! Not sure how hard it is to get a lion license but I might just look into it this yr.

Also it is hard to give up modelo hunting spots and sometimes a beer can is not enough - so you have to use a yard stick :). There is a super wide gene in the area and as us hunters who were not successful this year have to look at old pics and remissness. I posted this buck before but it was the buck I was lucky enough to take the last time I had the tag.

photo26_zpsc55f6400.jpg

Now if you want a fishing spot that works with PBR shoot me a pm and I can get you to a good spot :)! Just ask Mnt Man I am pretty sure we boated upwards of 50 or more fish when we went out this summer..

I call this picture smoke em if ya got em!!

photo30_zps3b02f0ae.jpg

dam, I could see that buck was wide in the pic you sent me but the yard stick puts it into perspective!
Yes, the fishing is awesome there!!! :D
Mntman

>wah wah wah......

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom