Howa M-1500 Lightning........

chsnelk03

Found a new Howa M 1500 Lightning with camo stock for $339.00. I don't believe it is a Hogue stock. Is this a good deal? Caliber choices are .30-06 and .270 Win. I would be going with the .270 Win. My other choice is the Ruger American .270 Win for the same price.

Inputs?

Thanks in advance!

Roger Burton, SMSgt
179th AW Fire Chief
Ohio ANG

The Howa 1500 have more of reputation for accuracy then the Ruger. I would be more prone to buy the Howa.

RELH

I have nothing against the Ruger but even if the prices were the same I'd take the Howa 1500 over the Ruger M77. Ruger receivers are investment cast, Howas have forged receivers and forged one piece bolts. The Howa now has a 3 position safety, the Ruger does as well. I do prefer Rugers scope mounting system though.

The Lightning stock on the Howa is junk, but you can replace that and still be in the gun for under $400. The arguement about the Ruger being domestic is two sided. Personally when I'm making a purchase my loyalties are to me getting the best quality for the best price. I won't pay the extra $150 for an inferior product.

In my opinion the only way you could go wrong here is if you bought either a Remington or a Mossberg;)

I didn't read the original post closely enough. If you are comparing the Ruger American to the Howa it's a clear choice. Go with the Howa.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom