howdy

oldoregon

Very Active Member
howdy boys, been a while huh. Packing season is finnally over! It is nice to be home after spending the last month in a tent. I have had one hell of a fall, thought I might share a little bit of it with you all.

I spent most of august and september bowhunting for elk and deer. I found one heck of a sweet spot for elk, and the hunting was incredible for the last week or two of bow season. at one point my partner and I identified 12 5 or 6 point bulls in one basin. It was incredible... at one time we had 7 six point bulls within 100 yards of us at the same moment. Talk about an incredible sight. I managed to cow call a solid 300+ six point to within 1 yard!!! I shot him on the run at point blank, and sadly, my arrow landed in his shoulder blade, and the arrow penetrated about 4 inches, then fell out. I tracked him anyways, but the blood trail petered out after 200 yards, and I knew he wasnt hurt very badly. So I snuck my way back into the frenzy of bulls, and tried to call another one in. They were all very close, and even the bull I had previously shot at circled back and joined back into the frenzy. Even with all the bulls so close, a shot never presented it self. A few of the bulls were wallowing, and a few were fighting, and all of them were very fired up. It was the most inredible hunting experience of my entire lifetime. From now on everytime I hear the words "elk hunting" this day will come to mind. Eventually, all the bulls spread out, and I spent the rest of the day tring to close the didtance with several bulls. One was a very dark colored five point that was huge, in body and antlers. When I look through the record books, I dont find many 5 points, but I am very confident this big boy would be in there if he is ever killed. He had to weight close to 1,000 pounds. He was far and away the biggest bull elk I have ever seen... I mean this guy is the stuff dreams are made of. I cant wait till next year...
Long story short I dis not end up killing a bull this year, my partner however, harvest a respectable sattelite bull on the last day of the season.

I also had the wonderful opportunity to guide a mountain goat hunter, which has always been one of my dreams. We located the goats, but were having a hard time closing the gap with a nice billy. On my hunters last day we spotted several nice goats bedded together, one of which was a decent billy. The fog was closing in however, and I told my hunter to shoot while he still could... I thought he knew which one to shoot, the big 9 inch billy on the right, but apperently he did not, because he shot the 4 inch nanny on the left, which in turn fell off a 400 foot cliff and the rolled approx. 1000 feet more down the mountain. It took us about 6 hours to get to it, and luckily it still had both its horns, as small as they may have been.

We had some 6 guys harvest bulls this year, all do it year selfers in drop camps, for about a 50 percent success rate.

anyways, thought you guys might want to hear what I have been up to. Please excuse my bad spelling. Catch yall later.

I'm glad to see some of the old regulars back on this site. I'm really glad you had the huntof a lifetime and you earned the results you got. Nice to hear from you again.
driftersifter

Sounds "incredible". Glad you had a good time boy, but where is your little girlfriend on the horse? Haahaaa....
yotewalk.gif

Eric

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom