How's the Hunting?

elkmanchad

Well, first season is wrapping up. How did everyone do? How are the conditions and the populations of elk and deer this year? Did you notice a decrease in the number of hunters with the economy in the tank?

Any specific news out of North Park, specifically unit 17 or 6? I will be hunting up in North Park third season.

Just got back from unit 48. We saw lots of bulls, the elk population is doing great. We didn't get one, but that's elk hunting! The buck population SUCKS! Saw a few does, and healthy fawns, but only saw a few yearling bucks and one good one way up high. I definately wouldn't hunt deer for a few years 'cause of the blizzard last year. I hope everyone else's year goes well.

With the poor elk harvest every year since 2002, at least here in Gunnison
I believe 2009 is the Best Bull elk hunting so far in my lifetime. The age class of
Bulls I have been seeing is far above average, North of the road. 66 and 67 are consistently
Good as they are limited units. 2009 will see some far better than average bulls killed.
I already know of several.

Tomichi
I can't agree with you more. I archery hunted elk in unit 66 this year and saw alot of elk and a couple real nice bulls, I just couldn't close the deal. I know four other people from around the valley and said the same thing about elk being all over in those units. I even had a friend kill a 305 + in unit 54. Great to see the elk doing good.

I heard from a guy that's up hunting the Grand Mesa right now. He said they haven't seen one elk all week. Usually they have filled at least one tag by now. He did manage to knock down a buck though.

I guess the snow is holding out for 3rd season. That's good news for me. :)

I got an average 5x4 1st season. Took us a full day to get it out.(over 2300 vertical feet to get to him) Would post a pic if I knew how.

Hunted cyclone park in unit 12 - had never been there. Appears they had reasonable sucess first season. Still amazed on the junk pack trains leave behind. This was the most we have ever burned while cleaning up crap and has to give hunters a bad name. Ran across two 5x5 bulls that were shot and never found. One they couldn't have looked very hard for (shot in the shoulder and mid section). The other was shot in the neck. Ran across two other bulls and two cows cleaned. Snow was crunchy in the dark timber where they never left. It was warm out and first season just ended. Saw a reasonable 6x6 at 30 yds and 1 rag horn with two cows at 40 yards. Timber just a bit too thick to get a soild shot so I passed. We hiked roughly 5-6 miles day, backpacked in, had a good time. Should have hunted grouse. I have heard from several locals now that this herd is a shell-of-itself from past winter die offs.

Tagged out with my first elk ever. It was quite an experience a very symmetrical 5X5 at 198 yds. with my trusty 6.5X55.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom