How's your bow season going?

andrew12gauge

I know today was only the 4th day but I'm itching to hear reports from others out there. I have hunted 2 evenings and a morning and only seen 8 does and fawns to this point but I know there is a buck out there. My early archery hunting will all be in 38 this year I'm saving my hunting time 'til October for rifle deer and elk. Somebody out there has to have tagged a doe at least by now. Lets hear about it.

I chased around the elk and deer this last weekend with my bow. My main terget were the elk. Had a cow and calf at 30 yards and passed on them. Managed to call in a bear to within about 30 yards as well.. . that was exciting. The closest I ever got to a deer was a fawn trying to cross the road that I saw on my way back from the evening hunt. I am saving my deer efforts for the unit 39 festival of arrow slinging in november although if I happen to see a dandy in october I will be sure to tag out.

>Managed to call in a
>bear to within about 30
>yards as well.. . that
>was exciting.

And you didn't shoot it?

Hunted a few days in the Sawtooth Zone. A couple encounters, very quiet, didn't hear any bugles. The 90 degree temps were awful this last weekend. The forecast looks much better.

hunted sawtooth and got bugling action every morning. Best opening vocals I've had. Had one bull and cow come in but the timber was too thick and they boogied after getting nervous. The heat was intense. Seemed like by 8:30 am the hunt was over.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-13 AT 01:02PM (MST)[p]>>Managed to call in a
>>bear to within about 30
>>yards as well.. . that
>>was exciting.
>
>And you didn't shoot it?
>
>Hunted a few days in the
>Sawtooth Zone. A couple encounters,
>very quiet, didn't hear any
>bugles. The 90 degree temps
>were awful this last weekend.
>The forecast looks much better.
>

I was in 32A so the only bear tags are controlled hunt tags. I had my pistol out and ready if Yogi decided he didn't want to leave after I whistled at him. There were about 6 different groups of hounds chasing bears around the mountains Monday morning.

And +1 on the heat comments. You couldn't move without breaking a sweat.

there have been several bulls and cows hit the dirt this weekend. dont have permission to share the pics, but there was also a SE Idaho big buck taken this weekend that may have been shot illegally.
I heard it was shot on private ground and didnt have permission to be there. Fish and game is looking into it.
i'm familiar with the crew that killed it and it wouldnt suprise me one bit if it was illegally taken. they've been caught doing it before.

>hunted sawtooth and got bugling action
>every morning. Best opening vocals
>I've had.

Good to hear the solid report. Will be back at it soon, trying some different elevations. Stoked on this rain.

I can't wait to get out. But, every year Sept seems to go by fast and then I'm done. If I can't get out enough days for a bow tag I'll try to hold out till rifle season. Hate the wait.

Went out actually hunting one day and saw about 75 does but not a single buck. Found a 5 point and a spike elk shed horns. Saw two small groups of elk, one bunch had a spike and a 3 point in it and the other bunch had a spike and a 2 point in it. Oh ya and a dead coyote. That was brownlee zone but like has been discussed most of the roads are closed off now due to the fire. Maybe this rainstorm dumped on it but my relative in Weiser said they didnt get much rain so who knows.

I'd say it went pretty well... Deer slam in one year... with a bow.

9918coues.jpg

6241cb.jpg

4289muley.jpg

6471whitetail_montana.jpg

6610sitka_blacktail.jpg

Hey Nick im assuming that those are coues, muley, whitetail, and blacktail. Where did you get those if you don't mind telling us. I hope to do a slam like that all in one year some day. Congrats by the way.

I took the Coues deer in January down in Arizona.

Then hunted in California for the Columbian Blacktail.

Then in Idaho for a Mule Deer... Wish I had more time to hunt in Idaho but I was in the middle of moving to Alaska and ran out of time to concentrate on a buck. With my goal in mind, I took the first shot I could at any legal Mule Deer, thus the doe.

I drew a pretty fun Whitetail tag for Montana and hunted there on the way to Alaska for a few days. Great time there and can't wait to do it again.

Then after I got to Alaska I went to Prince of Wales Island for 9 days. It rained, snowed and the daylight was only about 7 hours a day. My buddy and I hunted dark to dark all 9 days and only saw 4 deer the first 8 days. On day 9, I called a PnY Sitka Blacktail into 30 yards and made the shot count. That was the 5th deer I saw in 9 full days of hunting...

It was a fun year to say the least, great times in all the places I traveled and I loved the diversity of each hunt in very differing climates and locations. Fun times.

Have a merry christmas folks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom