HSUS Response to Wolf Delisting!!!

Broomer

Found on HSUS Website:

March 10, 2009

On Federal Protections, We're Not Crying Wolf

We knew Sarah Palin would be murder on wolves had she been elected, but we expected more of the Obama Administration and its political appointees.

While we have had some strong pronouncements for animal protection from Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, and there are many signs that positive changes are afoot more broadly within the Obama Administration, we've got our very first dose of awful news from the newly installed leaders in the executive branch.

On Friday, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar announced that his agency would proceed with the delisting of both the Great Lakes and Northern Rockies wolf populations. I wrote about the issue after we won several court cases to block maneuvers in the final years of the Bush Administration to take wolves off the list of threatened and endangered species?which would have paved the way for the states to set up wolf hunting and trapping seasons and the killing of thousands of wolves in the lower 48 states. Idaho Gov. Butch Otter even indicated he wanted to be the first to shoot a wolf in his state.

White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel put a hold on all late-term Bush Administration rules upon taking charge and said all of these proposed rules would be subject to review, including the let-the-states-take-care-of-wolves declarations. Unfortunately, the review has concluded, and it's the worst possible news for wolves.

The Interior Department has tried four times to shirk its responsibility to protect wolves, and now here comes the fifth attempt. Just as we reacted in prior circumstances, we'll ask the federal courts to intervene to stay the hand of those who would slay the wolf.

The minor expansion in wolf numbers since they've been protected under the terms of the Endangered Species Act has had beneficial trophic cascade effects in the Northern Rockies and Great Lakes ecosystems, limiting numbers of their prey, protecting forests, and having a wide range of other salutary effects on everything from foxes to songbirds. The wolf recovery efforts should continue, and delisting efforts are premature. The restoration efforts for wolves should not be set back by the eerie thud of steel jaw traps closing on the legs of wolves or the report of semi-automatic gun fire targeting these remarkable animals.

The fact is, the state fish and wildlife agencies in these regions are still in the grip of the hunting lobby, and their wolf management decisions are being driven by an interest in artificially inflating moose, deer, and elk populations so that hunters can shoot more of these animals. To paraphrase outdoor writer and conservationist Ted Williams, wolves don't pay for hunting licenses, only hunters do, and therein lies the problem with modern game management.

It's the same parochial line of thought that Sarah Palin has demonstrated for years in Alaska, where humans attack wolves from the ground and from the air.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-09 AT 01:12AM (MST)[p]what a bunch of dipchits, they just said "thousands of wolves in the lower 48", hell last year they said there were fewer than 700.

I would sure like to show them first hand what a wolf would do to a fox, or a song bird, you know the ones the wolves are protecting! awful hunters with "automatic weapons" ha, where do they come up with this crap?

I wish stupid was painful.

Thanks for the post. What I can't stand is someone from other states telling us what is best for our state. I'll send them a little note requesting more info because I am curious about the freak extremists on both sides. Another problem I have is how wolf lovers try to label hunters as horrible people and how wolf haters try to label wolves as the cause of all evil in the world. GMAFB! Both sides need each other to exist I guess. Maybe the wolf haters need to hire the wolf lovers lawyers. They originally released wolves inside the park where there was an over abundance of elk and it should have been left at that. Wolves would and have, survived regardless of seasons inside Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. I'd like to see who specifically funds these extremist groups besides Carrie Underwood. They are brainwashed and misinformed on both sides.

"The restoration efforts for wolves should not be set back by the eerie thud of steel jaw traps closing on the legs of wolves or the report of semi-automatic gun fire targeting these remarkable animals."

At least they aren't against bowhunting wolves.... Terry

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-09 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]

Nice try zigga, we know who you really are and what you stand for.....wolf lover

Zigga - I think you hit the nail on the head - it is a matter of me being able to decide what is right for my state instead of someone else telling me what to do when they don't even live here. Let us decide what is best for our states.

Now Idelkinstructor - this is good news for you. Good news for the wolves too. We can help keep them alive where they need to be - in the parks, not off of them. This is good for all.

I love the wolves as much as everyone else on here, and would love to hunt one legally. Maybe now I will have as much of a chance of hunting one as I will a LE elk in Utah.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom