Huge Hog shot in Florida!!

C

Curlee

I received a picture of a huge hog today. Photo and story are below!!

Curlee

How big of hog trap do you think I need for this one

The fellow in the pictures is Larry Earley, He lives about 30 miles
from

Orlando, in the very rural community of Okahumpka, just off the
Florida
turnpike in Lake County, Florida. He has 20 acres of land and on it, a
few cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with
woods
surrounding him. He is neighbored by a larger cattle ranch. His
neighbor
has complained for several years that wild hogs had been raiding his
cattle feeders and salt licks. Last month he saw what he though was a
cow in his pond and went to see if it was stuck in the mud and would
have to be pulled out. When he got close enough to realize it was hog,
the thing made a charge at him. He had driven his truck down to the
pond
and carries a pistol in it (as any Florida redneck would, and I say
that
with genuine affection). He got his handgun and when it came at him
again, he shot it twice and killed it. Wild hogs in Florida usually
run
from 100-400 pounds with a 400 pounder being a monster. Because this
one
had been feasting on grain for several years it had grown to mamoth
size. When Larry took it to the processor it weighed in at over 1100
pounds! The meat has no wild taste, as it was grain feed and the Larry
is quite the hero. He has fed may fireman and provided the homeless
shelter in downtown Orlando with a couple of meals

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/41b8aee0407b4186

For some reason the phot didnt upload. I'll try again.

41b8afd242705631.jpg

WOW! What a HOG! (literally)

Yup, I like to carry a scoped hogleg (big bore revolver) in my truck at all times too! LOL

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

HOLY S#&*!!!!!!

What a PIG 1100lbs. The steer I put in my freezer didn't weight that much!

Looks fake to me. Look at the brightness / contrast between his arms, the gun and the hog. It doesnt match. Seems like a pretty good but not perfect Photoshop job.

-DallanC

dallanc, i think you just might be on to something there. doesn't look "right" to me either.

could be the next hogzilla.

Krusty.jpg

i think you're all on somethin'. oh wait, you said on "to" something. my mistake. when i read the headline "HUGE HOG SHOT IN FLORIDA", i thought, good somebody capped janet reno. it was a big let down to see it was just a big piece of unground sausage.

>dallanc, i think you just might
>be on to something there.
>doesn't look "right" to me
>either.
>
>could be the next hogzilla.

Heh I thought about posting the snopes hogzilla link actually.

On a serious side I work for a multimedia company as a programmer, its *really* easy to doctor up digital photos and do all kinds of crazy things anymore. For example about 2 years ago here on MM someone who didnt think it was all that easy challenged me to prove how easy it was to doctor up a photo. I said fine, give me a photo link and I'll doctor it up and post it for him. He gave me a link to the kings Popeye fantasy photo with them on the skyline.

It took me a whole 15 min to remove each antler, replacing it with the correct background sky, then reattach each antler... scaled way up of course. Hang on I even think I still have that photo online...

popey_640x480.jpg

LOL :)

Its perhaps why I always first doubt really crazy pictures anymore. Too easy to create stuff.

-DallanC

I'm no expert, but having raised a few market swine for 4H, know that domestic hogs (boars) if allowed to grow, often reach a 1000 pounds plus. We just saw one last week on a farm that is an estimated 975 pounds.

Dallan

PLEASE SEND ME THE GPS COORDINATES TO THE LEAD BUCK!!!

NEVER MIND ON THE OTHERS AS THEY ARE TOO SMALL!!!

PLEASE DOCTOR THE NEXT BUCK I'M GONNA SHOOT BEFORE I SEE IT,OH HELL,NEVER MIND,YOU'D GIVE THIS OLE CAT A HEART ATTACK!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING "DD'S" ARE NICE,BUT NOT AS NICE AS THIS 'RACK'!!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-04 AT 10:00PM (MST)[p]Interesting,

It might be a feral pig. They got lot's of them in Florida. It's just a domistic pigs cut loose. But this one don't look like he ever spent a day in the woods. let alone ever bred with a wild boar. The pigs got a hell of a coat to.. But what ever. The guys dressed for the weather we have been having but the pig isn't. I started hunting wild pigs in Florida when I was 11 and have done it on and off since and I'm mid 40's now. I never seen one that looked any different than the one we got hanging in the photo below..

Heres a wild one we killed in the Everglades weekend before last

6c9ea819.jpg

I've seen a few in pens in south TX that were trapped and raised. They had scales and 2 were over 1000 pounds. I don't doubt the size.

BUT I really suspect the photo. As mentioned the hair is really wooly looking. NOT suitable to FL. OR TX for that matter. Also I have never seen a hog charge a truck. I've hunted and shot more than a few over the years. Funny that the pistol would have a scope on it and that should make it really hard to kill a charging hog. Ever see that its much more difficult to line up through a LER scope and keep it there. Much less under stress. And then you have to convince me you would kill this charging hog with that pistol. It would be a pure piece of luck unless the hunter is a competitive shooter. Now go sneak up on the tank, the hog is wallowing, and you get a good solid shot into the ear from a rest and from what??44mag,454, 50 etc.... thats believable.

Hell if a hog that big charged my truck, and all I had was a pistol, I'd never leave the truck anyway. Probably wouldn't get out of the truck even with slugs. Heck I'd be laughing so hard at a pig charging a truck anyway.... Maybe charging towards the vehicle for another bag of feed......

Jeff

Hey Jeff, and the rest of you guys that hunt these hogs, are they any good to eat? I'm thinking of doing a hog hunt in Texas one of these days.

bldgr10

IMHO any boar can be bad over 100-150 pounds. Depends on if they smell strong when you shoot em. If they do, we give em away. Sows and young pigs up to 100 are super.

Others have differing opinions. Mine were formed firmly on the last boar we tried. It was over 350 and my wife shot him in the heart with her bow. In fact he kept eating and for a few seconds with the arrow in him and then bolted 40 yards and was dead.

He was not that strong smelling. We kept him iced down for a week. Draining the water etc.... Had hams made out of some of the meat to test. That ham was really good. BUT the whole house smelled like a hog when it was cooked and the odor "enhanced" the flavor. Such that it was the last larger boar we tried.

Again, IMHO shoot a big one for a mount, and most places will be happy to let you pop a couple of 75+/- pounders to take home.

Thats my take on it.

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom