Huge X-Bow Kill...Gen Tag, Public

midwest

Man, what a bull!

6535big_elk.jpg

GREYBULL ? When Burlington hunter Albert Henderson went hunting near Dubois this past fall he had no idea that his annual hunt during the archery season would be one for the record book. By the end of the hunt, Henderson?s efforts were rewarded with what would later be verified as the largest elk ever taken with a crossbow. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department congratulates Mr. Henderson.

Henderson?s elk was scored at 426 1/8 points on the Safari Club International (SCI) scoring system. SCI maintains records for trophies taken with various weapons including rifle, handgun, muzzleloader, bow and crossbow. Under the more familiar Boone and Crockett scoring system, Henderson?s elk measured 408 points easily placing it in the top five percent of elk ever entered in the record books. The minimum score to qualify for the Boone and Crockett record book is 375 points ? very few elk are taken each year that make the 375 minimum. Annually, only a handful of elk are taken in all elk states that exceed 400 points.

?This is an incredible hunting story and we tip our hats to Mr. Henderson. Wyoming is home to some of the most impressive wildlife in the world, but not everyone gets to see these animals, let alone hunt them,? said Game and Fish Director Scott Talbott. ?Now is a great time to start planning to make your own memories in 2015.?

What makes Henderson?s trophy especially noteworthy is that it was taken on public land on a General License in the Shoshone National Forest. Henderson was into the fifth day of his hunt and was working to get closer to another good bull when he saw his record book animal that was with a cow. Unable to get the elk to come closer he stalked to close the distance to 53 yards when the elk presented a perfect broadside shot. The elk only traveled a little over 100 yards where he found it dead.

Henderson said he has hunted in the area a number of times and had seen bulls in the 350 class, but nothing that approached the size of his record animal. He had bagged his only other crossbow elk in 2013 after more than 10 years of hunting. Over the years, several of his family members have also bagged elk with a crossbow.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratas to the hunter

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-15 AT 05:09PM (MST)[p]With respect to the Buzz poke: Monsterous, but main beams are certainly not 60. Not even close to it. Makes up for it with unbelievable tine length.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-15 AT 08:39PM (MST)[p]If you have Facebook go to the Casper Star Tribune page and give this guy some support. There are a few anti-hunters on the page running their mouths. We need to drown out their comments with our support.

And some hunters just cant respect others big trophys anymore. But jealousy happens and some cant handle it

What is everyone's opinion of the crossbow? Mine is that it should be it's own season and not mixed with traditional archery. I would have been able to shoot many more animals if I used a crossbow during archery.

BeDawg,

What would a special crossbow season accomplish? My personal opinion is x-bows are lame and defeat the purpose of even having an archery season. I think the exact same thing about modern muzzleloaders. However, if the state wants to make them legal and a hunter wants to use one then more power to them. But the last thing any state needs is more special seasons for each type of killing device.

BTW, congrats to the hunter. Nice bull.

My opinion is that BeDawg is wrong and does a disservice to hunters by advocating a separate season for crossbows. I shot a bow well for over 30 years my max range was around 50 yards, RSD from a busted up hand and a poor surgery on it made my archery practice impossible still because of pain. I've shot an Excalibur crossbow for 5 years max range 50 yards. I've killed 4 deer with a crossbow longest shot 32 yards longest bow kill 2002 46 yards. Little difference outside of practice time, less with a crossbow between the two.

You probably aren't intentionally helping the anti-hunting faction but you are whether you realize or not. Hunt with what is legal and what you enjoy hunting with. The 150 yard crossbow of rumor is just a rumor.

+1 Crossbows are not going to hurt a thing even though it doesn't take much time to get good with them compared to regular bows. Many states are now allowing their use during the regular archery seasons with absolutely no negative ramifications whatsoever. This deal of people arguing scores on forums is really getting old when just looking at a picture. Had the same thing happen with a nice buck antelope I shot and the same "know it all" had to shoot his mouth off just like happened on Michaels bull thread.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-15 AT 08:25AM (MST)[p]This monster bull was 1st place at Sportsman's Whse Bucks & Bulls in Casper. SPAZ is right, I believe main beams were 52-53"

By the way nfh, 1st place rifle was 353.

I wonder if he regretted not caping out the bull? Then again, I guess you need a place to hang em. I guess it will make a wonderful European mount.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-15 AT 09:08AM (MST)[p]

>I wonder if he regretted not
>caping out the bull? Then
>again, I guess you need
>a place to hang em.
> I guess it will
>make a wonderful European mount.
>

It already has been mounted on a shoulder wall-pedestal mount.

Great bull for sure.

On the issue of crossguns, that should be decided by the Residents of each State.

Some States have made the decision to allow them in archery seasons, others prefer to allow them only during rifle seasons.

Of course, each State also reserves the right to either make them legal, or kick them out of archery seasons, as they see fit.

I see nothing wrong with a State choosing to allow or disallow them, based on the wishes of the Residents of each State.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-15
>AT 08:25?AM (MST)

>
>This monster bull was 1st place
>at Sportsman's Whse Bucks &
>Bulls in Casper. SPAZ
> is right, I believe
>main beams were 52-53"
>
>By the way nfh, 1st place
>rifle was 353.

DARN IT! I had every intention to go to casper on the 25th. Well my wife has having some issues and our baby was born 4 weeks early which turned into some serious issues.

My bull netted 359 and grossed 367

Wow, I'd call that a great couple of months, a fantastic bull that you killed and a new baby. I hope your baby is doing well

>Wow, I'd call that a
>great couple of months, a
>fantastic bull that you killed
>and a new baby.
>I hope your baby is
>doing well

Thanks. My wifes platelet count went down in the danger zone and our new baby had to get life flighted to the NICU a state away. After 10 days in the hospital we are all home and everyone is doing good finally.

>>Wow, I'd call that a
>>great couple of months, a
>>fantastic bull that you killed
>>and a new baby.
>>I hope your baby is
>>doing well
>
>
>Thanks. My wifes platelet count went
>down in the danger zone
>and our new baby had
>to get life flighted to
>the NICU a state away.
>After 10 days in the
>hospital we are all home
>and everyone is doing good
>finally.

Glad to hear all is well Michael! I hope to have the time this Fall to get up and meet you and the rest of the family, as I'll be out all of September and October the way it looks right now.

Congrats on that huge elk, I saw the photo. Also congrats on the newborn. What did those long main beams measure by the official? Did they go over 60"?

>Congrats on that huge elk, I
>saw the photo. Also
>congrats on the newborn.
> What did those long
>main beams measure by the
>official? Did they go
>over 60"?

Official got 60.5 . The other side was almost 1 3/8 shorter and thanks and also thank you to topgun

>>Congrats on that huge elk, I
>>saw the photo. Also
>>congrats on the newborn.
>> What did those long
>>main beams measure by the
>>official? Did they go
>>over 60"?
>
>
>Official got 60.5 . The other
>side was almost 1 3/8
>shorter and thanks and also
>thank you to topgun

Wow...great bull! Congrats on both counts!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom