Hungry?

elkantlers

Long Time Member
I'm cutting my elk up today and thought you might like to see what's for dinner. It Ain't beef.

This is bacon wrapped backstrap off the spike I shot on the Utah muzzleloader hunt November 1st.

45522c4107d44ddf.jpg

WOW...dang i'm hungry now.
had a few loin steaks from a cow(not beef) the other night

You are a genius! That is exactly what I didn't need to see right now though. Yes I am hungry. What time is dinner?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-06 AT 05:25PM (MST)[p]That's what its all about right there! Those look like some premium cuts for sure - and off a spike too - tender and lean. Please tell me you'll cook them right! They are beautiful - though I prefer to let it age a little more.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

They were great!! Mmmmm tender

I cook them on a very hot BBQ. The main thing is to not cook them too long. The only thing I put on them is a little garlic and pepper.

This elk hung for 7-8 days. I usually let them hang for 10 days +, but we have to go out of town and this was the only day I had to cut it up.

This is kind of a tradition. I always cook bacon wrapped backstrap the day that I cut up an elk.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Thanks for the pic. I love seeing this kind of stuff.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I wondered if you had had it hanging
and sure enough you confirmed that.
I bet that was good. I'm learning from
people like Chef and I'm getting to where
I soak them less. The older I get the more
I just want it to taste like a good slice
of venison. Great Post Sir.

Just wrap the bacon around the steaks and then stick a few toothpicks in to hold it.

You can kind of see the toothpicks in my picture.

Ive tried that before, but the bacon falls off on the grill. I have some filets I bough pre-packaged that have bacon wrapped around with no toothpicks and somehow never falls off. Its almost like its been shrink wrapped or something.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-06 AT 05:53PM (MST)[p]A great trick to keep bacon on things without using toothpicks is to use extra thin sliced bacon. That way, you stretch it as you wrap it around a filet or shrimp or quail, whatever.

Make sure the meat and bacon are dry and your hands aren't wet. Then it will do a good job of sticking to itself. Again, stretch the bacon as you wrap it that way it will want to shrink as you let go. As it cooks it will shrink and seal even more.

This is a technique I use even after slitting a hole and making a cavity into a tenderlion filet then stuffing it with gorgonzola cheese. The bacon seals it and no drips until you cut into it. Try it and tell me what you think.

Chef

Oh yes Chef does the Gorg on Venison.
Sorry to interupt here chef, but do you
recommend any type of wet marinadae on
venison? Tryintg to catch you at a weak moment.
Larry

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-06 AT 06:30PM (MST)[p]I'll do it with beef when I stuff it. The venison tenderloins are a bit on the small side regularly to stuff. I do however love the taste with deer and elk though. A good trick to add nice melty gorgonzola to a venison filet is to first wrap it in bacon, season it, then grill it to perfection over a hot grill. Then top it off with a mixture of gorgonzola cheese and bread crumbs. Put it in an open oven under broil just to get a little color and you are ready to roll.

A good trick for working with gorgonzola is to microwave it in a cup first. It turns real nice and easy to work with. I don't care for "raw" gorgonzola but when it is cooked, man o man! It really adds a nice creaminess to the steak especially if the meat is lean, like venison usually is. Compliments it well.

Chef

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-06 AT 06:29PM (MST)[p]Larry,

I do marinade my venison and in different ways. From dry rubs to olive oil based marinades, to wet marinades like you stated.

It is hard to beat a cracked peppercorn and rosemary marinade on a good piece of meat. I do this on lamb racks as well.

Cracked Black Pepper
Fresh Rosemary, chopped rough
Olive oil
Red Wine Vinegar
Fresh Lemon juice

Coarse Sea Salt right before grilling

It is a basic vinaigrette with two parts oil / one part acid.
Of course the acid being the red wine vinegar and the lemon juice, of which I generally use a half and half mix.

Chef

Damn, I'm getting hungry.

Got to get ready for Orlins archery elk hunt though.
Talk to you Gents later and Happy Eating!

Chef

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom