Hunt camp question

icgamer

Looking for insight from folks with a bit of experience.
My sons and I will be embarking on a public land deer hunt next week and our plan is do camp on BLM land. We've done a bit of "in person" scouting and much more "e-scouting" and we've got a good idea where we want our hunt to begin...but a question I've got is how close to our desired starting point for hunting would folks consider "safe" as to maximize a good/safe start, without interfering with wildlife activities too much?

I'm sure there has to be some sort of happy medium when it comes to this. Ideally I'd prefer not to have to walk an hour to get set up our first morning, but I'd think setting up where we hope to find them, with tent, campfire and all, is obviously pretty dumb...

Any suggestions?

I don't think it matters at this point.

There has already been a lot of activity this time of year.

The deer and elk are either going to be on the move, or in the nastiest places they can find away from people, where you are not going to get your truck.

Or, you could step out of your tent one morning, or be driving back to camp for lunch and see the biggest buck of your life.

It will all depend on a few key details IMO...If it's public land, backpack type hunt, which state, hunting off quads or near roads.

In some places not pushing the deer by camping near where you want to hunt would be great. In other states/areas/seasons other people are going to camp near your hunting area anyways. You might as well camp near your hunting area.

As a general rule, I wont camp near where I wasn't to hunt. The only way I would is if its a backpack cold camp.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom