Hunter Opportunity or Deception?

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
I have been a hunter for a very long time. It was always my belief that when hunting that my tag did not guarantee me an animal to harvest but only an opportunity. I have been told this by various G&F employees especially in the last few years. By way of background, I have hunted Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

This year, I deer hunted in both Idaho and Wyoming. During those hunts, I received some interesting input from some nonresident deer hunters in Wyoming and from some resident deer hunters in Idaho. The input I received was angry to say the least.

In Idaho, I was told by residents, that I have known a long time, that IDFG was selling out the resource when it came to general deer and nonresident hunters. The specific complaint was about an onslaught of nonresident deer hunters in the Panhandle Region. It is my understanding that nonresident general deer tags are sold first come first served in that state and are not apportioned by region. It is also my understanding that the general nonresident deer tags sold out for the first time in Idaho in 2019 and that they added even more general tags after this took place.

In Wyoming in 2019, I was approached by two different large groups of nonresident deer hunters in a particular Wyoming region. They were upset that many of the season dates had just been changed and that finding any legal buck was nearly impossible.

When does a G&F or F&G Department cross the line from offering hunter opportunity to outright deception of the hunting public? About 30 years ago, most of the western states adopted Consumer Protection Laws to protect the public from deceptive or fraudulent practices performed by individuals or organizations. As many of you may or may not know, state governments (G&F and F&G) were specifically made exempt from the provisions of any such Consumer Protection Acts.

Does anyone on these forums have any input on what actions cross the line from hunter opportunity to hunter deception.

just wondering...mh

With the amount and ease of access regarding animal distribution, herd size, density, buck to doe ratios, harvest rates, age class, land access, public/private,etc. that is available to us today, much of this directly on F&G websites, I have little sympathy for hunters that find themselves holding a tag that they don't value.

Given that so many ##### tags are still sold out every year I don't see F&G departments running out of willing suckers despite volumes of information available to them.

I'm failing to understand where "deception" came into play.

I can see where you may not like the management but I don't think anyone has been lied to.

Welcome to public hunting.

California sells 35,000 OTC B zone tags every year. Those tags are good for forked-horn or better only. I highly doubt there are even 50,000 deer total in the B zones. So, in essence they are selling tags for deer that don't even exist. Success rates run about 10-15%.

It's a cruel cold world.

>I'm failing to understand where "deception"
>came into play.
>
>I can see where you may
>not like the management but
>I don't think anyone has
>been lied to.
>
>Welcome to public hunting.

It's pretty rare that I agree with Tri. But he's 100% correct. You were sold an opportunity.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>California sells 35,000 OTC B zone
>tags every year. Those tags
>are good for forked-horn or
>better only. I highly doubt
>there are even 50,000 deer
>total in the B zones.
>So, in essence they are
>selling tags for deer that
>don't even exist. Success rates
>run about 10-15%.
>
>It's a cruel cold world.

That 10 to 15% is the same guys year in and year out, and that scenario is the same in most of the locations where their is ?no deer?.

So, they are mad because season dates changed. Check on those before you apply and modify your app if they don't suit you.
No guarantees in hunting, you're buying an opportunity.
Good news, those guys probably won't draw that tag again for a few years.

>In Idaho, I was told by
>residents, that I have known
>a long time, that IDFG
>was selling out the resource
>when it came to general
>deer and nonresident hunters. The
>specific complaint was about an
>onslaught of nonresident deer hunters
>in the Panhandle Region. It
>is my understanding that nonresident
>general deer tags are
>sold first come first served
>in that state and are
>not apportioned by region. It
>is also my understanding that
>the general nonresident deer tags
>sold out for the first
>time in Idaho in 2019
>and that they added even
>more general tags after this
>took place.

Whoever told you this is full of it. Nonresident deer tags have sold out for years in Idaho, 2019 was NOT the first year. They did sell out a bit earlier than normal this year, but that's to be expected with more and more people hunting multiple states. The nonresident quota was the same exact quota it has been for years and they did not add anymore general tags after the nonresident tags sold out.

I'd check your source before you worry about deception. Idaho's general deer tags were distributed as promised, nothing more nothing less.

Idaho Hntr,

I simply asked the question about hunter opportunity versus deception. I was soliciting opinions and input on the subject. This year, I received a lot of input from other hunters (nonresident and resident) in both states that was hostile and angry. By the way, I purchased a nonresident deer tag in Idaho on October 31, 2019. As a nonresident, with a lifetime Idaho license, I can purchase the tag even if the general deer tags sold out on September 13,2019. Others with a lifetime license can do the same. You should be aware of that based on your knowledge.

Do you think that the State of Idaho will ever break up the general deer tags into various regions?

just sayin...mh

>Idaho Hntr,
>
>I simply asked the question about
>hunter opportunity versus deception. I
>was soliciting opinions and input
>on the subject. This year,
>I received a lot of
>input from other hunters (nonresident
>and resident) in both states
>that was hostile and angry.
>By the way, I purchased
>a nonresident deer tag in
>Idaho on October 31, 2019.
>As a nonresident, with a
>lifetime Idaho license, I can
>purchase the tag even if
>the general deer tags sold
>out on September 13,2019. Others
>with a lifetime license can
>do the same. You should
>be aware of that based
>on your knowledge.
>
>Do you think that the State
>of Idaho will ever break
>up the general deer tags
>into various regions?
>
>just sayin...mh

There is a proposal that will go in front of the Idaho Legislature this winter that looks to limit non resident to a quota by unit and or region.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom