Hunters Saftey class

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Hi, Rick Roy and i will be giving the Hunters Safety class for the Chester, Westwood, Lake Almanor area starting Mon, April 23. That first session will be followed with those on Tues the 24th, Mon. the 30th, and Tues May 1st.

All classes are at the Chester Veterans Hall starting at 6:pM. Cost is $10. per Student. Thanks!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey, what time????

I put my wife and son in for Wyoming antelope and told my son a few weeks ago he needs to be availible 9/27-10/7. He asked if his girl friend could come along. I said of course. Thursday at the gym he told me she mis-understood and thought she was huntin too, and that she was excited about it. He wanted to know about getting her a hunting license and applying for deer in Calif.

I told him to get her a hunting safety certificate before the end of June and we might be able to get her a doe tag or two. Anyways, she wants to hunt and I can see that it's doable this year. IMO there is no better first hunt than a Wyoming antelope hunt.I really want to make this happen. The most excited I've been the last 20 years of my hunting career is when my son, daughter and wife have killed.

Son and wife's first elk will always be the high point, even if I kill a 400" bull, with the bow, at less than 20 yards!

Ca_slayer, all of the four sessions start at 6:00 pm and run until 8:30-9:00 depending how long it takes us to cover the material.

Send her on over, must have no felonies, one student was required to leave last years class because so, but all others are welcome to join us.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LMAO at Joey!
I'm sure Ca slayer would be interested in her felony record as well!

Glad to see your volunteer spirit Joey! I was involved with the hunter safety program back in the 70's and 80's!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-12 AT 06:40PM (MST)[p]How stupid!!!!! A felon can't legally possess a gun but can't they archery hunt???? I told her she could???

j/k

I thought I learned that on "Dukes of Hazard," when I wasn't staring at Daisy Duke, my second real love.

After Ginger Ann on Gilligan's Island.

Too bad they didn't have home computers back in the 60s and early 70s.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-12 AT 10:25AM (MST)[p]I received this note from the lead instructor, "Joey, April class has been canceled. Lost availability to use Veterans Hall"

I have asked him for more details on the matter but if he says this class is cancelled, it's cancelled! Sorry to any who may have made plans or a commitment to attend.

Joey

Further correspondence from our lead instructor;

"Joey, The Sheriff's dept. Was sponsoring
The program. They have decided they
Would not continue. Now 15.00 dollar
an hour to use the facility."

Pretty sure that we'll again be open for the classes soon. I'm almost certain that i can find another sponsor to cover the Veterans Hall use fees, find another place to hold our class, or even maybe try to sponsor the class myself thru Cardoza Plumbing.

I well remember taking the class back in 1965. I took that class very seriously and now believe that it was one of the big milestones of my young life.

Joey

RUM, Thanks! Message returned!

Joey

Guys, much thanks for the PM's of assistance. I have e-mailed our head instructor to see if we can accept, are willing to accept, these donations to the cause. So far, he has yet to get back to me. I get the feeling that he has become very discouraged with trying to run and continue the program. He's an excellent instructor and does a lot of work getting the word out that these classes are available. Hopefully he hasn't been beat down enough to not want to continue the classes.

Joey

If anyone needs to take the course, you can do it on the DFG website. Then do a 4 hr. follow up I believe it is.
On the DFG website there is a list of gentleman that do this.
This is how my daughter took hers 2 yrs. ago.

Joey, My son's girlfriend is taking it in Susanville this Sat and next.

But I'm good for 3 hours if you need it. PM me.

Joey, you might look @ the local fire hall. Here in janesville they have a big room and they've had a hunter's safety course or two there in the past. not sure if Chester has such a thing.

Ca_slayer, Thanks! Good idea about using the Fire hall. I was a EMT, engineer, and member of the Volunteer F.Dept for many years. All new guys now but i may still have some pull there.

I'm still waiting, sent him another e-mail today, to hear back from Rick.

Just my opinion but nothing can replace taking the class in group form with questions asked by students and answered by experienced instructors. Also, we have a fairly hands on approach with the various weapons and examples with props of potential safety situations that one could not possibly get on-line. I could see where if an adult that has already been hunting for years needed a card to hunt out of state... but for the youngsters, i believe our type of instruction is a far more lasting and practical educational experience.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON May-03-12 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]RUM, Hardway, Ca-slayer, and you others thru pm's, I have heard back from Mr. Roy that we are actively seeking "other" methods and venues rather than to accept private donations at this time. He, along with myself, Thank you kindly for your offers of contributions to help fund the Hunter Education program.

I hope to soon be posting dates and times of our next set of classes.

Joey

OK, New class starting soon!

the 15th, 16th, 22nd. and 23rd of May
6:pm to 9:pm
Westwood Community Center building.
Westwood Ca.

Thanks again all!!

Joey

Joey,
You might try Chester High or the elementary school. I have been utilizing one of our local schools for several years. So far they have not charged me for the use of their facility which allows me to conduct the classes at no charge to the students. We are lucky to live in an area of Kalifornia where most of us, including many teachers, still hunt and own firearms. I seriously doubt I would have been able to get a school board to vote in favor of teaching Hunter's Ed on school grounds on the other side of the mountain!

Norkal

"INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!"

Another Class coming up!

Another Big Thanks to all those who offered help and even some financial support. We are using the Westwood Community Center at no cost from the good graces of those members of their Directors Board. This past Class, we had 17 students. Not a lot but well worth it. Thanks again!!

July 30th &31st 6-9pm, class, Westwood Com. Centr.
August 5th, 10am-1pm, Field-Range work, Westwood Range
August 6th & 7th, 6-9pm, class, Westwood Com. Centr

$10. per student, must attend all classes.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom