Huntin Fool and Bitterroot Outfitters Alert

Bretzsky

Hi Group members

Me and my 2 26, 28 sons Booked a Hunting trip through HUNTIN FOOL (to get some vetting of outfitter) with Bitteroot Outterfitters in ID ZONE 17.This was booked through Huntin Fool. We had 7 tags 2 Elk, 3 Mule, 3 Wolves. In 6 days of hunting with them we saw 0 shootable animals NOTHING. That is 2 separate groups 6 days we saw NO SHOOTABLE animals. I know this is hunting but statistically is it?? $30k later and with my 40 yrs of deer hunting experience I knew right away something was off. We had to remind them we are hunting primarily ELk not Mule repeatedly even after a first day meeting with guides to discuss our priorities. We went back into the same areas with limited or no sign over and over which we questioned with guide. I would stay away from them in favor of another more experienced outfitter. (This is my OPINION) Outfitter didn’t do recent scouting and had no ability to make a move to other locations due to newness of guides and there where to area.

I don’t understand why anyone would book a guided high dollar hunt in a general area without getting private land access as part of the deal. Huntin fool gets a 10% cut when you book so they don’t give a crap if you have a good hunt, just that your check clears. In the future I’d stay away from any public land general season hunts unless you can do em with sweat equity instead of real equity. If you’re spending money, find a place with private ground, especially in general tag areas.

Yes, took me 30 seconds to pull up a number of bad reviews on them.

Did you read the reviews? Two are from a boyfriend and girlfriend that you can tell were in no shape to be on that type of hunt. The women admitted to going into town to do her laundry because her clothes were dirty. And the boyfriend wounded a nice elk.

Two sides to every story. I can tell you this much with being a guide less than 5% of the clients we get are prepared for the hunt.

Two of the bad reviews are from the OP party. Seems like likely a pretty decent outfitter overall. Just remember when it comes to reviews everyone jumps on to give bad reviews compared to good reviews. So the fact that he has so many good ones tell me that there is a lot more to the story than what the OP is saying.

IMG_0304.png

Patrick Wiley and Ricky Keith should stick to baseball. Left a day early? Weak sauce.

@SS!
“Two sides to every story. I can tell you this much with being a guide less than 5% of the clients we get are prepared for the hunt.”

Maybe you need better more prepared hunters. 🤣🤣🤣
😎😎😎

7 tags for $30k? Sad to say, but a $4k per tag hunt produces those types of results sometimes. Now if you'd spend $30k on 3-4 tags, that would be a different story.

Having hunted the Clearwater area just north of 17 a couple of times, I'd say that was pretty typical. If the goal was good hunting, I'd go almost anywhere except the Frank Church, the Selway, or the Clearwater. If a cool adventure in some of the most rugged country in the world was your goal, you got what you paid for. For better hunting, the Panhandle, Central, Eastern or Southern Idaho are all much better choices.

Having hunted the Clearwater area just north of 17 a couple of times, I'd say that was pretty typical. If the goal was good hunting, I'd go almost anywhere except the Frank Church, the Selway, or the Clearwater. If a cool adventure in some of the most rugged country in the world was your goal, you got what you paid for. For better hunting, the Panhandle, Central, Eastern or Southern Idaho are all much better choices.
Yup

Hi Group members

Me and my 2 26, 28 sons Booked a Hunting trip through HUNTIN FOOL (to get some vetting of outfitter) with Bitteroot Outterfitters in ID ZONE 17.This was booked through Huntin Fool. We had 7 tags 2 Elk, 3 Mule, 3 Wolves. In 6 days of hunting with them we saw 0 shootable animals NOTHING. That is 2 separate groups 6 days we saw NO SHOOTABLE animals. I know this is hunting but statistically is it?? $30k later and with my 40 yrs of deer hunting experience I knew right away something was off. We had to remind them we are hunting primarily ELk not Mule repeatedly even after a first day meeting with guides to discuss our priorities. We went back into the same areas with limited or no sign over and over which we questioned with guide. I would stay away from them in favor of another more experienced outfitter. (This is my OPINION) Outfitter didn’t do recent scouting and had no ability to make a move to other locations due to newness of guides and there where to area.
Did you actually talk with any of the HF Hunt Consultants? Did you check with any previous tag holders provided by HF? Was this outfitter actually a HF Endorsed Outfitter, or did this outfitter simply run an advertisement through HF? There is a difference. According to the HF website, an “Endorsed Outfitter has years of experience guiding hunters and have enjoyed sharing their knowledge with many clients over the years. They have maintained high success rate and are willing to help their customers through every step of the process to ensure they will be satisfied with their hunting experience with them.” I am guessing this was not an HF Endorsed Outfitter, but if it was then you should give HF some feedback.

I think HF provides useful descriptions of hunting units in each state. According to their description of this zone the bull elk numbers are below objective. It is not listed as one of the better units for mule deer.

You can get some useful intel and services from companies like HF, but you have to put some effort into it and maybe talk with some people if you are going into a new area or working with a new outfitter. I’m sorry your hunt did not match your expectations. I have used two outfitters that I found through HF, and they were both awesome.

I can give a pass on the guy not knowing the area, hard to stay up on all areas but to move forward and learn from the experience

1) ask the outfitter general area then talk to biologists/internet research
2) check references
3) put in the effort. make it happen. Show up in as best shape as possible.
4) never leave early.
5) realistic expectations guys want 350" bulls where there are no 350" bulls. Guys buy 3 tags wanting to fill them all.
6) Avoid combo hunts if possible. Focus on one or the other.

Sucks you had a bad experience. I'll email the outfitter the link to this thread to see if he wants to chime in. Would love to know the other side.

Do see this quite a bit though. Flat landers come to Idaho and think the frank church and the like have 170 bucks and 340 bulls behind every tree and since they have a guide getting them “way back in there” it’s going to be epic.

Those wilderness have vast areas that are a desert when it comes to game density. And every air strip is a tent city. Good racket for guided though

Do see this quite a bit though. Flat landers come to Idaho and think the frank church and the like have 170 bucks and 340 bulls behind every tree and since they have a guide getting them “way back in there” it’s going to be epic.

Those wilderness have vast areas that are a desert when it comes to game density. And every air strip is a tent city. Good racket for guided though
I think there a lot of outfitters running a racket. I met a guide and hunter where I elk hunt some years ago. The guide was a kid from Pennsylvania that had never stepped foot in the country until that day. I felt so bad for the hunter I wanted to take him in myself to kill am elk. mtmuley

I think there a lot of outfitters running a racket. I met a guide and hunter where I elk hunt some years ago. The guide was a kid from Pennsylvania that had never stepped foot in the country until that day. I felt so bad for the hunter I wanted to take him in myself to kill am elk. mtmuley
Sounds like that kid from PA knows something if you saw him in your elk spot. 😂

Sounds like that kid from PA knows something if you saw him in your elk spot. 😂
He didn't know $hit. Met him at the trailhead and he admitted he had never been there before. Outfitter dumped him and the client off and left. So sorry. He was clueless with his brand new "guide" license obtained in Darby, Montana. I saw their tracks in the snow go back to the trailhead right about where a lion crossed. Fricken hilarious. mtmuley

Last edited:
Afraid Of A Little PuSSSy Were they?

He didn't know $hit. Met him at the trailhead and he admitted he had never been there before. Outfitter dumped him and the client off and left. So sorry. He was clueless with his brand new "guide" license obtained in Darby, Montana. I saw their tracks in the snow go back to the trailhead right about where a lion crossed. Fricken hilarious. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom