Huntin Fool, Epic Outdoors, GoHunt, Toprut

Looking to subscribe to one of these options. Already have OnX so they are connected to TopRut. Read what I can find, but most info comparing them seems dated.

Pros/Cons? What do you have? Like/dislike?

Thanks in advance.....

SA

I like gohunt! It's easy to run and unless you have no idea what to look for thats my go to. I did sign up with epic for a year because I had no idea what to put in for in Colorado now and because I thought they kind of helped you out but when I called and talked to them about it whoever i talked to pretty much said the same thing that I already knew which was Colorado is rough to decide where to put in. I wasn't asking them for sneak spots or anything like that, all I was looking for was some ideas of units to look at with the points i have. So now I just use gohunt.

I like gohunt! It's easy to run and unless you have no idea what to look for thats my go to. I did sign up with epic for a year because I had no idea what to put in for in Colorado now and because I thought they kind of helped you out but when I called and talked to them about it whoever i talked to pretty much said the same thing that I already knew which was Colorado is rough to decide where to put in. I wasn't asking them for sneak spots or anything like that, all I was looking for was some ideas of units to look at with the points i have. So now I just use gohunt.
It seems you’d rather Epic would just lie to you and tell you CO is full of roses and giant muley bucks? You can’t fault them for telling you the truth.

It seems you’d rather Epic would just lie to you and tell you CO is full of roses and giant muley bucks? You can’t fault them for telling you the truth.
I'll have to add hunting roses to my list of things to hunt. I dont have any of those on the wall yet! I know colorado isn't full of giant bucks just like every other mule deer state in the west. All I'm saying is it's just as easy to look at gohunt and get the same exact info as you get from epic and in my opinion gohunt is easier and a better layout.

I have epic. Enjoy their magazine and makes it easy to translate the draws from state to state. Not sure on any of the other company’s though. Epic does have a better podcast then the rest, for what it’s worth ?

Epic does have the best podcast and most useful information but I feel like they are going away from that free useful information provided on that platform and I get why.

I use and have used from nearly the start goHUNT and believe it to be the best platform as well as practical use, plus like mentioned above I have called goHUNT for advise on what units to apply for and while you can find the information yourself very easily they are more then willing to help you out plus they have a store and mapping system to go along with there set up, but being honest as of right now there mapping system isn’t nearly as good as onx but I have seen it getting better quickly in the past couple months. If you go for goHUNT give someone the opportunity to use you as there referral because then they get 50 dollars in there gear store as well as yourself

Whatever you are going to pay for the same information that everyone else gets, I will offer a 10% lower rate and will give you everything you need by paying me and my hunting brothers on MM for info. It’s a win win for all of us old time MM members.

I tried Epic for a year and didn’t see $100 worth of information from it. Called and spoke with Jason a couple times about some units I was looking at and he didn’t really have any insight that I wasn’t already aware of.
I get Huntin Fool with my OnX subscription and have used it to speak with past tag holders which was useful.

Epic has a good podcast? Your kidding right? All they do is talk BS, drink monsters and tell you about their own hunts. Not much info IMHO.

Epic has a good podcast? Your kidding right? All they do is talk BS, drink monsters and tell you about their own hunts. Not much info IMHO.
Dudes that sit around talking about hunting big bucks and bulls. That’s entertaining to me. If you want the info, subscribe to there membership ?‍♂️

Epic has been spot on for me with regards to information. Helps to have a specific question or area to ask about rather than “I have zero points where can I kill a big buck”

I also use goHUNT to narrow stuff down. Probably don’t need it anymore but when you’re trying to hunt 2-4 states a year it helps to keep my draw odds accurate and the tags flowing in..

I subscribe to all four, here's my thoughts

Epic Pros:
-Lots of personal thoughts on whether states and species are 'worth it'
-Was informed on some draws that I wasn't even aware of
-Their members portal on their website is very easy to filter by state and species, easy for very focused research
-Good at pointing out which units don't give out a random tag, and are therefore a waste to apply for

Epic Cons:
-Expensive, recently increased to $150/yr

goHunt Pros:
-Viewing draw odds is the most streamlined, nothing else comes close
-Strategy articles are good, I like how they approach each state from the perspective of applicants at different point levels
-Gear shop has better prices than most other places I've seen

goHunt Cons:
-They're secretive on their monthly giveaway odds, refusing to say what your chances are (probably worse than drawing a sheep tag)
-Annoying to make sure you get the $50 "gear shop special offer" credited to your account every year

Huntin Fool Pros:
-Free eMag with Onx Elite
-Good data on opportunities outside state draws, like raffles.

Huntin Fool Cons:
-Not as enjoyable to read as Epic Outdoors IMO

Toprut Pros:
-Free with Onx Elite
-Another data point for hunt planning, I like the terrain index for each unit so I can determine the average steepness of each unit quickly

Toprut Cons:
-I planned one of my hunts back in the day using this service and they got the season dates wrong
-Comprehensive odds aren't nearly as easy to view as goHunt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom