Huntin fool

kawboy

Very Active Member
Who subscribes?
Is it worth it?

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Depending on what your hunting goals are it is the best $100 you can spend.

If you hunt out of state.
If you plan on hunting units that you do not have prior experience.
If you want quick reference, be able to call and talk directly to someone that can at minimum point you in the right direction on a state unit or species.

I have been a subscriber to HF for several years. If you are the type of hunter that puts in for multiple states, then the info can be helpful. They are similar to Eastman's, Western Hunter, Muley Crazy, etc., but are more specific with hunting zones and units. This is why you pay a premium. But like any publication, they have their plus's and minus's.

Yea, I forgot, they went from having a printer paper monthly mailer to the best Western hunting magazine in about 10 years.
Why is that?
They raised the bar for Eastmans.

I have been a subscriber for 8 years now. Like was said they have there good and bad points. One of the things that I like the most is when you draw a tag they will give you a list of names and numbers that have drawn that tag before.

"Go hunt for meat at Wall Mart."

if your an lazy arse and flunked out of high school....
DO YOUR OWN HOME WORK...."hunting fool ruins draw odds"
Hope mag goes ##### up then THE OLE DAYS of draws may get back what they should be...

Lol goat,
You can't tell me that you never used a study guide in high school, what do you use for research? Drive to every unit and check things out during the season?

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

If you're applying in multiple states, it's worth the $100 just to have all the deadlines and new state updates. Plus, I use it for quick reference alot of times throughout the year. I've also called them from time to time.

Lazy has nothing to do with it - $100 for a resource like just makes the most sense. You can spend $100 on a tank of gas, so the price isn't all that bad relatively speaking.

Knew it was coming. LOL! I like the ol' days more than the next guy, but, there is a reason they call them the ol' days.

Ruined draw odds. I have heard that so many times and it is the most ignorant thing you can say.

Regardless of HF the equation goes like this.

# of guys that want to go hunting/ # of available hunts. HF did not increase the guys that want to hunt.
They may have raised the awareness of some units some may not be aware of, but, you still have to take many things into consideration before you apply for a hunt. And their info is not perfect, you need to use your head.

I know guys that spend tens of thousands of dollars on hunting gear etc. but, balk at $100 a year for HF. These same guys go on the stupidest hunts for their situation and comlain, cry , and whine about it when it was not what they hoped it was gonna be.

1+ NWPAUL...Go to any shooting range...they spend 3K+ on a rifle, and then put a bushnell banner scope on it..Its just a tool,you still need to do your homework~Danny

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-12 AT 08:07AM (MST)[p]I disagree with NM on the odds issue. I have had 3 units in Colorado which were spotlighted over the years by HuntinFool and the points to draw doubled that same year. The last hunt had 80 applicants the year prior and over 240 when it was highlighted, which caused points needed to draw to double. They do ruin odds for the units they highlight. Also, those same units are usually worse after a few years because the number of trophy hunters increases and harvest the cream which took years to build. I watched it happen in CO and WY.

If I were to subscribe, it would be to find out where they are highlighting so I could avoid those units. I also think their magazine is one of the best quality publications around and their member connections would be nice at times. They also breakdown each states' draw well. As was said before, positives and negatives. For $100, try it and see if it is for you or not.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-12
>AT 08:07?AM (MST)

>
>I disagree with NM on the
>odds issue. I have
>had 3 units in Colorado
>which were spotlighted over the
>years by HuntinFool and the
>points to draw doubled that
>same year. The last
>hunt had 80 applicants the
>year prior and over 240
>when it was highlighted, which
>caused points needed to draw
>to double. They
>do ruin odds for the
>units they highlight. Also,
>those same units are usually
>worse after a few years
>because the number of trophy
>hunters increases and harvest the
>cream which took years to
>build. I watched it
>happen in CO and WY.
>
>
>If I were to subscribe, it
>would be to find out
>where they are highlighting so
>I could avoid those units.
> I also think their
>magazine is one of the
>best quality publications around and
>their member connections would be
>nice at times. They
>also breakdown each states' draw
>well. As was said
>before, positives and negatives.
>For $100, try it and
>see if it is for
>you or not.

Packout, you are right. They do not ruin the odds in hunting overall. My point is these guys would be applying somewhere.

However, just like anything else, they spotlight a unit you have to consider that when applying. Not everyone is looking for the number one unit on every hunt. I have decided that in the next few years my son is in high school I will be burning 10-12 points for deer, mt. goat, desert sheep, in states like AZ, MT, WY, CO. I will not get the premier units with those points, but, I have considered their advice on several of the hunts. In some cases Jeff and Kurt have first hand knowledge of hunts that are not even mentioned in the mag, but, considering the way I hunt, the number of points I have and the time constraints with basketball they have given me information. The rest is up to me.

I live in NM and constantly hear from guys they cannot draw a tag. We end up with more tags than we can hunt, because I take the time to do my research and understand how the application process works.

This is my experience with Huntin Fool for what it's worth?.
I dropped my subscription after several years of being a member. When Huntin fool started I believe they were a grass roots level organization of hardcore hunters. I think they have become very commercial. There are countless membership drives and the magazine has added more and more advertising. They also recently started a internet based service that is an additional charge to the members. I don't fault them. They have obviously developed a very successful business plan and it's working for them. IMO their customer service has slipped a lot over the last few years. On a couple of occasions I never received lists of previous hunters who had draw tags. That was even after numerous requests. I have called numerous times asking for information on AZ elk. I am now in the position that I can draw almost any archery tag except 9 (should be there in a few years). I called and asked for advice and was told repeatedly "our AZ elk is covered in the January issue but if you draw a tag let us know we have several great guides in AZ". Even after the AZ elk information was listed in the January issues I would call and get almost the same line ? the AZ Elk is in this issue, you can draw almost any unit except 9, if you draw let us know and we can recommend a great guide?. There was no information to help me apply but they were very quick to try and make a buck of a guide booking. That was not what I had signed up for so I dropped my subscription. There have also been several times in the past where Garth and Jason would apply for hunts not listed in their recommended units. They would burn their points and then the next year the units were listed as a top choice. I am sure they would tell you they didn't want to list the unit as a great choice until they had firsthand knowledge but that is shady to me.

I've been a subscriber for over 7 years. The info was very valuable at first but I feel I've figured out all I need to know. However, the mag is still woth $100 to me. The articles & stories are the best out there and if I happen to glean an extra nugget of info, so be it

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-12 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]There is NO DOUBT that HF has made draw odds worse in many units.Combine that with sites like MM,and odds of drawing tags in units that were once attainable have decreased to the point that you wonder if you're wasting your time applying there.

Case in point:Deer unit 102 in Wy.For many years,HF listed 102 as the number 1 unit in Wy.Odds have dropped from around 14%(before HF listed it at #1) to 7% in the last 5-6 yrs(residents).Used to be mainly just locals put in for the unit.Now we have guys from all over the state putting in for 102.

Not saying HF is totally resposible.Eastman's also shares some blame,as well as MM.

One thing I find interesting is that the guys at HF rarely apply and hunt the units they rank as the top 5 or 10.Why is that?Is it because they don't want YOU to apply in the same units they are?Or is it because they know the draw odds are so bad that they themselves won't put in there.

That being said,I subscribe to both mags.There is usable information in both.What you do with that info is up to you.But regardless of your position on whether or not it's a good thing,it's all part of RESEARCH.Calling someone lazy because they choose to use any and all available resources for research is akin to calling a teacher lazy for using the newest textbooks.

I don't know why the emoticon appeared where there should be a d(for deer)?

I've been a member on and off for about 10 years. Are we going to see a drop off in quality wout Jason and Adam?

I have been a member for 9 years. I would pay the $100 just for the list of previous hunter's phone numbers in the unit when I draw. I have been given tons of first hand knowledge on every tag I have drawn, places to camp, places to avoid, road conditions, etc. When I hunt out of state, I don't have the time and money to spend a month learning a unit I may have only one chance to hunt. I have been more than happy to do the same for hunters that have called me as well. As others have said, the magazine is the best in the business.

We all benefit overall in our lives by having accurate information shared. Is selfish to try and hide info whether it be an improved surgical procedure that might save your child's life or how well a truck holds up when used on a farm hauling heavy loads.

So, I have zero sympathy for anyone complaining the draw odds are not as good as could be if no one told anyone about the quality of a unit. Boo hoo. Your private little public unit gets more pressure. It is a public unit, correct? And the game belong to the public, correct? Stop being so selfish with something you do not own anymore than I own.

HF does struggle at times to be responsive to requests for member lists. Be persistent.

HF is useless when you are trying to narrow down units that you are all but certain to draw when you hold max or near max points.

HF embarasses itself when they go on hunts in units they do not list as highly desirable then the next year those same unitss suddenly are near the top of the lists.

The HF raffles should be draw in a public setting with someone from the press. Just saying.

HF shines when they compile listings of the better units along with a talble showing harvest %, days hunted, etc.

HF shines when they provide lists of prior members once you draw a tag.

I have not read an article in HF for years but hear they are good reads. Not my cup of tea to read about Billy Bob popping an elk or deer. Pictures sure are perty, though.

I can't believe it but this is the first thread I have ever read where I agree 100% with what every single person has said so far. There are good and bad things about the service but the info from hunters in the past has been incredible for me and my hunting efforts. I truly believe in karma and have been helped in the past and will always help others who bother to call and ask for help from me. It really does work if you give it a chance. I also love to read the stories and see the quality pics.

It is the best $100 I spend each year without question. Are they perfect - no! Be smart with the data they give out and it can really help point you to or away from an area to consider.

I've been a subscriber for 10 years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom