Hunting after a heart attack

SneakAttack

Very Active Member
I've spent most of my adult life chasing the solitude that hunting/hiking solo provides. I recently had a heart attack. Not just a little one. I now have a defibrillator installed. Any of you fine gentlemen find yourselves in a similar situation? I've been out of icu a week now. I'm ready to hit the hills. However, walking out to feed the dog has me gassed. It was a fluke deal, 39yrs old. Are my solo trips over? Any advise.

Don't Over Do It Sneak!

You'll be feeling better by PISSCUTTER Season!:D

Best of Luck!

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

264mag is right. Do as the doc says. When I had mine I was 54. I decided I still needed to hunt. Doc said no. I drew a muzzy tag, shot my elk, then collapsed getting off the mountain. Good thing I had my boys. Doc said the elk I killed about killed me. Doc said if I am not going to follow directions then buy a cemetery plot. I since have not hunted big game.

No. I will eventually but not now. I do not want anything. I am hard headed. Still buy points every year even though I know I will not be hunting. Moose should be coming up one day. Doc ask me about that. I said I would shoot the first moose legal on the road. No trophy but I have always wanted to kill a moose.

Had a heart attack in 2007, when I was in the best shape of my life. I had just finished a TOUGH 21 day elk hunt with my bow and shot a giant.
I then went on an easy hike, and whammy. Very minor issue, but the hospital damn near killed me, cut my arteries in 2 places, knocked out my breathing tube, and left me in a coma for 5 days.
So, minor hear issue, and was set back 2 year by the hospital.

I was so pissed by the experience that I have just kept at it :)I Hike, hunt, fish, and do most of it solo.

It took me a bit to get my head around the whole thing, but I now have no concerns about just getting after it.
Do what the doc says, but relax, take good meds, and move on.

I had one last Mar. and would be dead if I had not been a EMT and know what to do.I hit 280 over 140 when the morphine kicked in on the chopper.
I hunted elk & alone in fall.
Barely. Just had to not go as far and limit myself.

Mine came 6 yrs after retiring & getting away from everything stressful. Years of it caught up with me.
I lucked out and have no permanent damage,besides what the attack gave me.
Hardest thing I have faced is I'm 61 and not indestructable anymore. I cannot just go go go anymore.
So I go but slow and not near as far. And I have to have water all the time and always peeing...damn meds.
Had a great check up recently and Doc gave the all clear to go fill tags......,wisely.

I've not experienced a Heart Attack, but I did have knee surgery years ago when I was in my physical prime. I played multiple sports frequently, engaged in all of my favorite outdoor activities and then one day tore up my knee in a soccer game. Had surgery. Physical therapy. And when the doctor said I was good enough to start certain activities, I told him thanks, but no thanks. I refrained from many of the strenuous activities I was used to doing. I did lighter activities. I let my body heal longer than was "required". And then I rehabbed myself for longer, at a slower pace.

Now, my surgery knee is my better, stronger knee.

My advise is to not push it. Let your body heal. And then gradually get back into your favorite activities. Taking several months off is worth it if your life has been extended for several years.

Take care of yourself Sneak. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Sneak,
You definitely want to listen to your doctors because every "heart attack" is different. Some leave severe lasting heart damage, while others don't leave any damage to the heart.
I had a full on heart attack a year ago last January, while I was preparing for a backpack Stone Sheep hunt. While I went into full cardiac arrest on the mountain, I had my son with me and cell coverage. AirMed got to me very fast and between my son's CPR and the paramedic arriving just in time they were able to revive me and get me straight to the hospital. 45 minutes later I had stents in my blocked arteries and I was doing fine with no heart damage. I was VERY blessed and I now just take medication and watch my diet! If I had not gotten help that fast, it would be a different story. After a couple of months of cardiac rehab and some careful training, I still went on a very physical backpack Stone Sheep hunt last August.
Your doctors should know your limitations and help you manage them. Hopefully you can still do the hunting you want. You may have to alter it some, but watch your diet and do everything your medical professionals tell you to do.
Best of luck!

Wow, what a crappy thing for all of you who've dealt with that. 39 years old SneakAttack!?!? Crappy!

I wish I had advise other than what the other dudes have said, "listen to the doctors". Of course I say that, but probably don't always do it myself. I've never had anything that serious though.

I sure hope you can get back after it solo if that's what you enjoy. In all reality, you probably can, but if something were to happen again and you were alone......??????

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

Always follow Doctor's orders. You can't afford a set back.

I've been pretty much a solo hunter my entire life with no medical issues....yet. At 67 my wife worries every time I go alone. It will be time for a change soon. Not this year though. I hope. :)

You may or may not need to adjust the intensity of how you hunt, as well as what types of terrain. Adjust. Listen to professionals. Learn to listen to your body. Cutting back or giving up on hunting can be demoralizing, but there are far more important things to consider over the long haul.

SneakAttack: I had heart attack at age 50 and five way bypass....as everyone states "do as your Dr. Says....Your body took a big hit.....take it slow, do some walks and slowly build back your physical condition...push to hard could cause additional issues....be smart....your life has changed forever...I was lucky with my heart attack there was no severe heart muscle damage....I am 66yrs and going...still backpacking an solo at times.....but you have to have a plan.....always tell people where you will be hunting, have a partner if possible...leave a note on your dash with your information and general area where you will be hunting or camping in the backcountry.....LAST but not least....Purchase an ACR PLB personal locator beacon....emergency gps locator beacon....you get in trouble signal goes directly to satillites and search and rescue dispatched to your location....worth every penny.....check them out at acr.com
Good hunting
))))------->

Please give me a minute before disecting any one word/phrase. This is a serious post.
There's a well known advertisement: Don't let a friend drive drunk. I wish us "Males" had a saying: Don't let a friends bad heart, Hunt. Maybe Founder can have a contest for the best such: "Saying".

However, we never know about such heart conditions usually, until something happens. So....why even have such a Saying...? I have only one thought that has me typing such an almost silly statement. It is to be: Proactive, instead of Reactive. Maybe just the seed in our minds to be checked by a Physical or Chemical (Yucky) Stress test, may save our Family members massive grief's. Procrastination's and Denials + every other excuse, had me never making such a specific appointment myself until I reached my Later 30's.

Be it responding to a 911 and having a man down then having the family members grab me tighter then a Grizzly and scream in tears; "Save him" (Imagine how this feels) to countless Autopsies (unrelated to medical deaths) and seeing how our insides truly "Are", for my Family, I endured the Dr's tests.

A time arrived when I did "Ignore" Left Arm & Chest Pains. Skipping details trying to be brief, My Wife was Home and saw me in such pains and said shut-up, You're going to ER. I later was taken by an Ambulance to ER from a fire Dept with Blood Pressure's of 280 over 140 or higher..? The ER Dr made me promise to seek a Cardiologist the next work day, I agreed. Day's later the Cardiac Dr said I was to strong to actually have had a Heart Attack. He began tests and I went Home. As days turned into weeks and I was taking up to 14 Nitroglycerin (Nitrostat) pills a day, my Wife said no one should be eating Nitroglycerin Pills as if they were Candies. She raised hell and before I knew it, I was in a Hospital, awake, looking up at a TV screen and watching a wire go up from the groin/leg Artery through my Chest, to the Heart. I had a 99.9% Blocked Major Artery. They inserted a Stent. They said I should have Died on many previous days but that I had a rare heart Warning system few have and there was no Heart Muscle, etc..damage. Maybe it was the drugs or my humor so I asked; "Is your work so good that I can run out and rape a buss load of Nun's..?". They had humor and said with laughter; "just wait a few weeks first". For me personally, humor has been a self survival tool and being so crude in an Operating Room, gave me confidence things will be better.

I was smart in my late 30's but became over confident and stopped stress testings. I began reading and found smoking, drinking, bad foods etc...are not the real killers. The killer is; "Not being Tested". Yes, the previous bad things are now socially advertised as bad and I am not saying they are not. The strongest factor is Genetics and the unique manners inside of us as to how our one body has formed/grown. This includes not always hearing our Wives.

I Really, Like, Love, Enjoy each person here on MM's. The above post's come from the Heart's. I am very impressed with this group. One Gentleman said "Keep Posting Jagerdad, we'll adjust to your long messages". I hope this is true. In advance, I apologize if I use an incorrect word/meaning and write to much.

What's "OUR" Takeaway...?

My wife had one in January of 15. LAD 100% blocked, in a coma for a week, then slowly came out of it. The following November we hunted at just about 10,000 feet. BUT only after her cardiologist had given his OK.

Do what the doc says you can do (make sure they know all about your hunt) and pay attention to any conditions they may put on your hunt.

Sure makes a guy stop and think and just maybe take time to smell the roses.
Glad for the ones that made it back from the edge, there is always a bunch that didn't. Hunt slow and safe, it isn't just about you think of your families too. Time to look into get a check up. Thanks for posting it should be a warning to us that haven't hit that line YET.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I know for everyone it's is different. But I can tell you my family's experience. My grand father has hunted my intire life. Ran a gun range,shot skeet and trap. He taught me hunters safety when I was eleven . How to hunt Quail in the Arizona desert. Hunted deer and elk in Utah and Idaho. He had a heart attach in his early sixties. He had a quadruple bypass and a pacemaker installed. After that he made a big life change. Started eating heathy,walking and dropped a lot of weight. I remember him walking about 5 miles a day every day. After that he started training German shorthairs . Hunting upland game and hunting all over the United States. He passed away a few years ago . One month before his 95th birthday. He shot his last elk at 92 on horse back in the wilderness . He was sleeping in a wall tent. He always shot his trusty 300 Weatherby. A lot of gun for anyone. So I guess you take what the doctors say and take it easy as you recover. Then start to make changes in your life. Good luck with your recovery. May god bless you so that you can do those things you love !

I read this post with much interest and have a little different perspective. At age 40 I contracted an autoimmune disease of unknown origin that did permanent damage to my heart and lungs. My physician was less than competent and treated me without knowing what I had. I took control and found a good doctor. It took over a year to get back to some semblance of normalcy. At 45, I took the good doctor's advice and bagged my high stress occupation and moved to a drier climate (North Idaho to Wyoming). I thought I was a goner in my 40's.

Fast forward to now. I am now 61. Although, I am overweight for my height, I am doing okay. I weigh less than I did at 40. I don't take any prescription medication pushed by doctors. I have reduced my cholesterol and blood pressure significantly through alternative supplements and exercise. I exercise daily and hike a lot in the backcountry almost the entire year. Last year I killed a good muley buck 6 miles from the pickup. I packed it out on my back. I did the same thing with a 330 bull in 2013. I don't drink alcohol or soda and I have never smoked. I avoid refined sugar. I smoked a cardio stress test just a few years ago. I have had all my arteries checked out and my brain scanned.

I have almost always hunted and hiked solo. I have no fear of dying alone in the backcountry with a heart attack. For the most part, everyone dies alone. If I check out doing what I love, that is the way it will be. I am more concerned about grizzly bears. I have a bad ankle that I compensate for with good boots and trekking poles. I seek out hills and steep places to climb. If some doctor tried to turn me into a porch dog, I would get another doctor.

I encourage everyone to exercise even if it hurts. Do it year around. Don't ever quit being active as that is a prescription for death. Watch what you consume, listen to good doctors and keep on doing what you can. This is my perspective. I have a greater fear of dying in a hospital or a recliner, than in the mountains. I don't use my ATV's near as much as I used to. I would rather walk.

just sayin...mh

Six years ago I had a massive heart attack and lost 50% of my heart function, I was in the hospital for 19 days mostly in ICU. I had a triple bypass and had to have a balloon pump inserted in my heart for a week to let the heart rest before the Dr.would do the surgery. I had a defibrillator installed shortly thereafter.

Three years after the heart attack/surgery I drew a Rocky mtn sheep permit in AZ. I scouted and hunted 30 days by myself.

Everyone is different so your heart issues may or may not impact your hunting. As others said talk to your cardiologist. Two years after my episode I went skiing at 11,000 ft

Sneak attack

I too have a defibrillator in my chest and it came at 56 my older brother had died just a few years earlier in his sleep and I thought it was because he didn't climb mountains and wasn't as active as me, boy was I wrong I started having issues and went to the doctor and after five times and testing everything in me they found out I was missing a beat. Turns out it was a hereditary issue and my cousin died of it as well.
I now hunt at all elevations and I am 62 and have no intentions of slowing down yet. It took a while and every year the doctor freaks when I tell him where I am going and what I am hunting and he always wants to do tests on me to make sure I am alright.
But my wife a smart woman told me and my kids if your Dad dies on the mountain it will at least be where he is the happiest and feels at home.
We all die sooner or later but I have to tell you my passion is the outdoors and I wouldn't be who I am without it. Take it slow and it will work out there is always some style of hunting and fishing you can do it may not be solo backpacking in the wilderness but I am just happy to be doing any of it.
Shoot straight and good luck

39 years old is awful young to be having heart issues!! While I wish you the best before consulting the MM doctor group I believe you should sit your REAL doctor down and get his professional advice. If you don't like his advice seek another. If you still find reason to doubt that opinion chances are you are going to do what you want anyways so just do it!

Whatever happens I truly wish you the best and hope this is just a speed bump in your hunting career!!

Die at home on the Couch...?
Or die out in the sticks..?
I would like to hit the ground dead from a massive heart attack in the sticks rather than in back of a meat wagon with some dude hitting me with the paddles then shifting through my wallet..either way family is set with life saving...pension, 401k and life insurance..
Bone

LMAO hadrbone! There's definitely some truth there!

That being said Josh I'm glad your wife was there for you and was strong enough to keep you with us. I'm also glad that your hard headed @ss is looking for advice from the Dr and friends that care about you. Take it easy and don't push it for a while. No more solo stuff until the doc says you're good. I know, I know... I enjoy getting out alone as well but for now I'm going with you so we'll both just have to deal with it for a while. :)

Love ya bud,

NvrEnuf

Two years ago this June at 53 I had my heart attack while working out at the rec center preparing for my mtn goat hunt in the Uinta's that fall. Fortunately, I could tell something was wrong and said something to one of the staff (many men won't). The short ride by ambulance to the hospital and the record time getting a stint installed minimized the damage inflicted. With my docs approval, I still went on my hunt but, things were a little slower, I did not push myself as I would have previously. I'll be on meds the rest of my life and I know they're helping.

Listen to your doc and follow his advice, make sure you've recovered as much as you need too to hunt at whatever level your hunt requires.

Smokepole

I want to thank everyone for the thoughts, prayers, advise and well wishes. Things have changed for sure. I've changed the way I approach hunting...I drew a Utah bear tag after 11 years. I hunted as hard as I could; then my body told me enough already. Between all the bait packing and late nights in the tree; I hit the wall. I would crash for an entire day after an evening sit and then a morning sit. Caught some great bears on film, saw some things in nature I'd never experienced. The hunts ends tomorrow, so unless a bear ambles through my drive way the tag will go un-punched. But I'm fine with that. It was a great hunt. Now It's time to prepare for the Book Cliffs Deer! Yeah buddy! NvrEnuf, I humbly accept. You are a good man and I love ya like a brother. Thanks again to all! Josh

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom