Hunting Emigrant Wilderness Zone D6

B

baychef

Hey all,

I'm heading back to Emigrant for the 2nd year now to hunt. Zone D6. Didn't have a lot of luck in 2011 hunting. We hunted the area right below Nightcap Peak. We had a great vantage point, but I think the lack of water on this side of the mountain, we didn't see much.

My dad has hunted the Nigtcap peak area for years, with great results. Typically, pack in a few days before the season opens, and the morning of, we would almost always see some large deer heading to the summit to get away from the hunters pushing them up.

This year, thinking about heading over more inland, towards Emigrant Lake.

Anyone have any experience hunting in this area? Thinking about Blackbird Lake, maybe Huckleberry lake also.

If anyone has experience, or insight, that would be awesome. Looking to bag a few bucks with my dad this year, and any helpful information would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Some pics from last years spot....

60324_432206151218_628736218_5120889_7483921_n.jpg

60324_432206141218_628736218_5120887_3490218_n.jpg

Friend of mine hunts out of Kennedy every year with his dad....his dad and grandfather for many years before that. That being said, Matt packs them into a different spot every year and they both kill a buck every year. The area your in is a good area, I would suggest hunting it a few more years and try to "learn" the area. There are deer everywhere up there but if you dont learn the area and know how to hunt them you'll never see one.

Thanks Hardway,

Yea. Matt is pretty knowledgeable about the area. He pointed us in the right direction last year, but just no water on the side of the mountain. Reason I was hoping to get packed in so far, was to get away from the other hunters by relief reservoir and kennedy lake. Hopefully, we won't have too many other people in that area. Will try and stick to an area, and "learn" it, as you said.

Thanks again

If you were in an area that didn't have much water in 2011, that area will have tons less this year. We had snow through June last year, with a huge snow pack. This year not so much. But I say that with 2" on the gorund and it still coming down. I guess anything could happen late spring.

I worked at kennedy meadows in the early 1970's and have been up there every year during deer season helping pack deer hunters. Night cap area is a good area to hunt but you have to put up with opening day presure. If you want to hunting Emigerent lake,black bird or huckleberry lake you will be hunting in granite country and hevy timber country. There are good bucks in the country but the visibility is limited due to the pockets of feed. One area that sometimes is overlooked is mosquito lake area. It has a combination of open shale country ond granite country.If you pick a area and hunt it every year you will figure it out and have good success.

Good luck but above all have fun and hunt

I would spend less time looking for water and more time behind the glass,you dnt need to see or hunt near water to find bucks.
one unit that i have put in for in nevada this year I have never seen water in a few mile stretch ,old water tanks are dry no seeps that i have ever seen,but there are pleanty of deer up that canyon,We may not see water but they know where it is and they will travel miles to get to it and before the sun comes up they travel away from it most of the time.

Hey HKM,

Thanks for the info. Mosquito looks like a good area. Some higher elevations, so seems like the vis would be good from a peak around there. Another are that looked decent, was near Grizzly Peak. Its about 10K, and looks like it has 360 views around.

Grizzly Peak is a good area but is crowded durin opening week.
It is also close to the border of x12 and it is watched by wardens quite often. A other area it look at is Blackhawk it is located close to mosqutio lake

Hey HKM,

Did you mean Blackbird lake? Can'f find Blackhawk anywhere in Emigrant...

Getting our gear ready, and man, looking forward to it. Didn't factor in being close to X12, so I'll have to keep that in mind. Just thought the view from Grizzly would give me a good vantage point...hunting to the south of course. Some other locations I've heard from the pack guys that are good spots, Shallow/Frazier lakes, Horse Meadow, and Mosquito Lake... Got some 10x50 Binoculars, gear, etc... Would you think its overkill to pack in a blind ? Thought it may be a good idea to limit my smell, etc when the deer are close. Any info is much appreciated...

Thanks guys!

HKM,

I found Blackhawk mtn and lake. Looks like a nice remote spot, but quite a hike from our base camp. Might have to scout this spot next year...but looks good!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom