Hunting Fool sold?

B

Bura Nut

Its my understanding that Garth Carter sold the Hunting Fool. I dont know if he sold just the application service or the whole deal. Does anyone know who purchased it? Thanks, Allen Taylor......

On a relevant note, Rusty Hall sold Trophy Hunter Magazine to the boys at Tines Up.

Rusty will continue to publish the Utah Big Game Records.

Eldorado

Pretty sure Hunting fool is sold, but curious who the buyer is. Curious who is providing "expert" advice specifically for Arizona. There are some details for specific units that are being left out in their recommendations. Allen Taylor......

Hunting Fool booth was at the Sacramento CalExpo show last weekend and I happened to walk by so walked over to see what they had there and some young guy still wet behind the ears came up to me. He asked if I had any questions and before I said a thing, he said are you a member or would you like to join?

I told him I use to belong but dropped my membership. He said WHY so I said I did not use their info and it was of no use to me and not worth the 100 bucks as far as I was concerned. He just looked at me and walked away and so did I at that moment.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-14 AT 09:53PM (MST)[p]Heard rumor it was a buyer out of Cali...and is what prompted the restructuring of memberships & fees.

Well either they did not get sold or I was flat out lied to when I renewed last week. I renewed a day or two after Allen first posted this. The first thing I asked them was if they had been sold before I renewed and the lady said no.

Bill

Some proof huntin fool was sold. sad they would try to keep it quiet. But a lot of members were already concerned of Garth's indecisiveness. First he is retiring, then he comes back, then the best people at HF(Jason, Chris, Adam, John, Kirt) are gone. It's gone down hill and now they just doubled the cost? I don't see them giving double the service. You can find it on Utah.gov
3808hf-sold.jpg

4769hf-1.jpg

4587hf-2.jpg

7321hf-3.jpg

Huntin' Fool just sent out a member e-mail confirming the sale to the Makoff group as indicated above...

Horniac

I got the email this morning. I'm actually pretty optimistic that this could be a good thing. If the new owners come in and build on the foundation that has been laid it could be a good investment for them and a good thing for the members. Anytime there is a big change like this there is also the potential that everything gets royally screwed up so we shall see.

Here is the email,

We are pleased to announce that Garth and Sharyl Carter have sold the majority interest of Huntin' Fool and have partnered with a group of private investors led by the Unique Investment Corporation, a private equity firm that specializes in advising and growing small businesses.

Garth will always serve as the founder of Huntin' Fool but will be retiring from all day-to-day responsibility in May of this year. He leaves the company in excellent hands. The new owners and advisors have 20 years of experience and a phenomenal record of assisting companies in adding value to all of their stakeholders. Most importantly, they are avid, longtime hunters and understand our business. In fact, John Makoff, a Managing Director at Unique Investment, joined Huntin' Fool in 1996 and is member number 36.

The current management team at Huntin' Fool includes Travis Roundy, Jenny Welch, John Makoff, and Burke Plummer. Burke is another Managing Director from Unique Investment. The staff is dedicated to providing the best service and value in the hunting industry. The office will greet our members with the same energetic secretaries, the Application Service is still run by the same excellent ladies, and the consultants are researching the best hunting opportunities available on the planet. We realize hunting is a limited resource that has more demand than supply. Our services and products have never been more important for members to gain access to a lifetime of better hunts and better hunting experiences.

If I was a betting man I would wager a buck or two that you will see HF move towards worldwide hunting opportunities and not just specializing in the western US. Just a guess.

>If I was a betting man
>I would wager a buck
>or two that you will
>see HF move towards worldwide
>hunting opportunities and not just
>specializing in the western US.
> Just a guess.

I actually hadn't given it any thought but I'd bet you're not too far off base mulecreek.

I've enjoyed the subscription and I hope that warm fuzzy feeling continues. I'll stay a member while the jury is out on this new company.

Sometimes change is a good thing but..... we shall see.

Zeke

I hope you're wrong, mulecreek. I like it the way it is. I will definitely not renew again if it turns into a worldwide magazine.

John bought my ranch in Geneva Idaho and was raised in Pocatello I believe. Big time hunter and I would guess he is serious about making this thing work.

>If I was a betting man
>I would wager a buck
>or two that you will
>see HF move towards worldwide
>hunting opportunities and not just
>specializing in the western US.
> Just a guess.

I'd feel safe with that bet as well..

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-14 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]nonresidents are nonresidents. If they can get a big following overseas, I bet they can make some serious dough, and I bet the odds for the rest of us to draw nonresident tags are going to get seriously hard.

There's lots of great hunting in Asia but it costs a pile of cash!
They might end up catering to the guys with the coin.
I won't jump to conclusions until changes happen which reduce the usefulness of the service for me.
Change isn't bad unless it's bad change!
Zeke

Does anyone know why Dave recently quit HF? He is a great guy and him quitting raises another red flag. New ownership and very little consultant experience could be a rocky road.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-14 AT 12:14PM (MST)[p]I Recommend you contact Travis Roundy aka deerbedead for details as he is their newest consultant and has some ownership in the company.I know the new owners very well and I can assure you they will take the company to the next level.They are all Die hard hunters. Jenny Carter still has a large stake in the company so the carters will remain a large part of the business. I've known & hunted with Travis for over a decade and I can assure you his knowledge and passion for hunting the west is as good as any hunter I know. His collection of Trophy animals is a testament to his success in the west. I personally love their new Forum. It is for members only and they have zero tolerance for arguing, bickering, and name calling that you typically see on public forums. Hunters will actually give out information and post up pictures. They have also added a BIG online store with 10% discount for all members. They are adding new features and benefits each month.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-14 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]I am also sad to see Dave leave. He was a great asset to the company. I was told he left, to return to the mortgage business. He felt like the opportunity to make more money was there.

Here is a post Travis Roundy posted on the Hunt'n Fool forum that may add clarification.

"Hey guys,
I just wanted to throw in a few words here while this subject is being talked about all over this and other forums.
First off, I'm excited to be a part of HF and also to have a role in the management of the company! It's a great job, and I can promise you that we are committed to bringing you solid information, in a timely manner so you can get the most out of your hunting pursuits. We are adding features, tools, and new innovations like this forum so you can have more added benefits as one of our valued members. We are constantly looking to improve our services, and add more information and resources for you to maximize your hunts.

Just for info, Burke Plummer is one of our managers. He is a great guy who is a pleasure for us to work with. His specialties are, technology, accounting, and marketing. He's not a big hunter like the rest of us, so his involvement will be in keeping us running smoothly in the bookkeeping dept so we can concentrate on what we do best.

John Makoff is one of my best friends, and he and I have hunted all over the earth together for almost 20 years now. He's smart, talented, loves to hunt, and is committed to making Huntin' Fool better than its ever been.

I'm out in Harrisburg, PA at the Great American Hunting Show for the week. We are excited to be back on the show circuit and if any of you guys are in PA stop in at the Huntin' Fool booth #15."

Thanks,
Travis

If their plan is to grow the company bigger than it already is, I don't see that as being a good thing at all. The business model is not one that gets better with more growth. I've been a member for around 10 years and I'll be done if I see too many changes.

Ive been a member for years but this last year been seriously considering dropping out for a few reasons. Time will tell if I stay a member or be dropping out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom