Hunting in New mexico

Bates7

I'm an AZ native and I've hunted in AZ all of my life. I'd like to broaden my horizons a little bit and give NM a shot. I'm asking for a lttle info on where to start looking for a good elk and deer unit. Remember that I'm a NM rookie hunter and when a guy pays almost $800 for a nonres. elk tag, it's no small investment. Thanks for all of your input.

Bates7

are u looking for a trophy huntin or just to enjoy the hunting in the wilderness..Az are closer to GILA where they produce very bulls and it is ur best choice to hunt there in any weapons!

and for deer...it is scatters around NM where the big bucks are..

hope some of us ll point u in better directions...GOOD LUCK!

vinihunt

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-08 AT 08:02AM (MST)[p]Thanks Vin. As far as trophy hunting goes, I haven't quite figured out how to eat bone. I'm more of a meat hunter. But that doesn't mean that I woudn't put the smack down on a nice 6x6 bull. Also I just like plain ol' huntin'.

well lets start off with on of the quality hunts in my opinion the valle vidal is still one of the best places to hunt its once in a lifetime. but the place is amazing its probably my favorite place to hunt. I've already gone hunting there but i guide there any chance i get. its ranges from subalpine to ponderosa and everything in between its got a good elk pop if yu bump one you just keep going and get on another one, there are some 360 class bulls out there but your gonna have to find them and hunt hard to stay on them I personaly think a 300 is a good average bull I've guided a hunter who toke a 7x7, 8x7, and know of an 8x8 that came out, he was real close to the vermejo ranch and don't dought that he used to cross from on place to the other.
the gila is my second place to hunt I think if I didn't live so far from it that would be my prime area but hay we can't be every where at once
if you decide to come out well do some more chatting so i can give you some other spots to think about.

B7,

I am no pro on units. I will say this though, I have hunted NM once and it has to be my favorite state so far. Seems like people are very nice, the folks on this forum are good, and the experience is nice as well. I was shocked at how clean NM keeps their mountains and the quality is quite good for most animals.

NM is a must do state for me.

I think the people on this forum will get you started? Maybe ask for some private messages?

>B7,
>
>I am no pro on units.
>I will say this though,
>I have hunted NM once
>and it has to be
>my favorite state so far.
>Seems like people are very
>nice, the folks on this
>forum are good, and the
>experience is nice as well.
>I was shocked at how
>clean NM keeps their mountains
>and the quality is quite
>good for most animals.
>
>NM is a must do state
>for me.
>
>I think the people on this
>forum will get you started?
>Maybe ask for some private
>messages?

My thoughts too.
I go every year now.

hardest part is getting drawn or you spend part of the kids inheritance and do the LO tag.

I have either hunted or been on hunts in Northern NM, The Gila, Mount Taylor, Cloudcroft/Ruidoso, The Zuni's The Jemez and out of all of those, including Valle Vidal, the best number of elk and the largest bulls come from the Gila. You will stumble on a big bull now in then in the North Country, but The Gila, especially the wilderness and close to the AZ border consistently produces big bulls. I'm like you and hunt more for meat than bone, but experience has definitely put larger headgear on the southern animals....at least in my experience. As far as your hunting experience, NM in general is a phenomenal state to hunt and has just about every type of hunting you could ever ask for. The better units are of course much harder to draw, but are worth the wait!

For Deer Unit 2C, 5A, and 5B are trophy unit with the huge bucks being taken every year from those area. 2B has large numbers of deer. Unit 23 and 30 has good deer populations along wth unit 34. Not sure about 23 and 30 as far as pressure, but i can tell you in Unit 2 and 34, you'll see as many orange dots and windshields as you will deer. People everywhere, even on the bow hunts. My upcoming 34 bow hunt has 800 hunters...which is a crazy amount...too many in my opinion. Also there is good road access in most of those areas.

Good Luck!

Well, If meat is what you are after, 800 would not be your cost, there are plenty of units and cow tags are somewhat easier to draw and cheaper. If a little horn is what your after NM is good for that to.

Large populations of elk are in the Gila region 16's, 15. Bull tags are very hard to come by, but cow tags easier.

Up north Chama and units around, lots of elk.

Unit 9 is a good hunt, lots of elk. Most bulls in the 200-250 range, a few over 300, and a few big boys, again cow tags are easier to draw.

The list can go on and on. NM is a special state, the problem is landowners getting such a large number of tags. That's a whole new ball game.

Anyway, good luck on researching a place to hunt, hope this helps.

TT

Man, you guys are freakin awesome. Thanks for all the info. This is kinda fun learning about a new state.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom