Hunting on water

elkhuntn247

Ok guys I was fortunate enough to draw a limited archery bull tag in southern Utah. As everyone knows the dates in UT aren't the best for the archery guys haha... I have lots of experience hunting rutting bulls, but I have a feeling ill see little to none of the rut unless I'm lucky and get a little weather the last few days. So that leaves me to hunting water or spot and stalk the majority of the hunt. I'm just looking for a few tips on setting up on water. I know the unit pretty well and already found some great water holes this weekend while I was down there. Any tips, tricks, or info would be greatly appreciated!

I have found if its hot or the elk get a lot of pressure they will often not show up at the water until an hour or so after dark. If you can find the trail they are using to get to the water it may pay to sit on the trail way out in front of the water so the elk will be where your sitting while there is still shooting light.

If you know what water you want to sit on it may not hurt to build two blinds so depending on which way the wind is blowing you can adjust where you sit.

If you hear them coming be ready to draw your bow back fast. We had a six point run into the water so fast last year we weren't ready by the time he got to where we were sitting. He sprinted the last 100 yards to the water and took us by suprise because he was moving fairly slow before then.

My experience is things change, even during the season so having cameras helps save time sitting a stand that isn't productive during the light.
We hung several tree stands on multiple water sources. It eventually paid off with a nice bull for my son.

Try and wipe out old tracks around the water hole so the next time you show up, you will be able to see the new tracks and not be guessing. Hang that tree stand high 14 ft or better.
Follow the trail back away from the water a couple of hundred yards and hang a tree stand in case the bulls hang up waiting on dark. Cut your shooting lanes early. Climb your stands now to see how they are working and see your lanes.
pre-season(July August) camera's will tell you what is coming in and what is not.
Good Luck Hope you kill a Monster.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Very early water can be very productive.
Bulls then get a little weird when they start to rub hard and get ready to rut.
Sept 1-10 can be dynamite for wandering bulls looking to wallow.

Set up on water first week, then look for water holes that become wallows the next week.
Then Spot and stalk, or chase bugles.

Good luck!

I shot this bull over a wallow in southern utah:

P1040888.jpg

>Very early water can be very
>productive.
>Bulls then get a little weird
>when they start to rub
>hard and get ready to
>rut.
>Sept 1-10 can be dynamite for
>wandering bulls looking to wallow.