Hunting Packs???

I like the Kifaru. It is the longhunter guide pack. It has a 7200 cubic inch capacity. It is a bit pricey, but works for me.

Good luck,

Garion

I have the badlands 2200, I love it, perfect for day trips and overnights. For backcountry trips I would probably get the 4500. My brother uses the Wolf Pack system which is very versatile, it can be used from daytrips to multi-day jaunts.

For my main pack I use a Jansport external frame. I have 2 internal frame packs and I don't use them. For serious backcountry extended triips you can not beat a giant external frame pack. External lets you organize everything in compartments and you can just keep straping on more to that frame.

My daypack is a Fieldline. Awesome pack but I like my buddies better. He uses a Cabelas Whitetail pack. It is large and can easily cary all you need for a day in the woods. It is about 2300 sq in. The thing I like about these two packs is that they let you accessorize with attachments that snap on and off of the shoulder straps. So if I want easy access to my digital camera or binow or bullets or waterbottle etc... it is right there on my shoulder strap. You just snap it in and snap it off. It is awesome and very secure so it wont fall off.

The just one is awesome but it is not large enough for me to haul everything I need for a 7 day hunting trip in the backcountry and it is too big to be a daypack. But if hunting from the road where you won't need to establish a base camp then I don't think you will find a better pack than the Just One

>The just one is awesome but
>it is not large enough
>for me to haul everything
>I need for a 7
>day hunting trip in the
>backcountry and it is too
>big to be a daypack.
> But if hunting from
>the road where you won't
>need to establish a base
>camp then I don't think
>you will find a better
>pack than the Just One
>

The JustOne expands to 7000 cc's which will carry everything I need for 7 days and then some. It has a seperate removeable compartment that carries all my spike camp gear and I usually leave it in spike camp and use the pack for day hunts.

I have two packs that I really like :

Daypack: Badlands SuperDay, just the right size and extremely comfortable.

Longer Trips: I use the Kelty Freighter Frame Pack, extremely comfortable, doubles as a meat hauler & holds lots of stuff.

Been through a few, think I'll be stickin with the just one for a while, great pack holds everything you could ever carry on your back..First pack trip of the year is in the morning, with all my gear loaded I still havent expanded it. thats every thing you would need for 7 days minus 2 pair of clothes and about 7lbs more food. and of course the bow and bugle.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-05 AT 02:58PM (MST)[p]I will agree that the Just One is an awesome pack. But in the way that I hunt it does not fit my needs.

Here is a picture of me on the left with an external frame pack in 2000. I appologize for the picture quality.

42ffaded31c41213.jpg

In my pack is a weeks worth of gear. The food has been eaten because we are on our way out. Also inside is 70lbs. of deer meat. The rack is straped on to the outside of the pack along with my gun, my daypack, my sleeping bag on top, a 3 inch thick foam pad stuffed into a stuff sack on bottom, and my tripod. I could have attached more if wanted. Thats the beauty of an external frame pack. The only limitation is that I don't believe I could have carried much more down those long steep 5 miles.

The guy in the middle took a huge bodied buck and he put his deer in his internal frame pack similar to what I did. The next year he bought the largest external frame pack Jansport offers.

I should mention I have had the pack since 1993. I recently sent it back to Jansport to have the hip belt fixed and they completely refurbished the pack. They must have done over $200 worth of labor and materials. They did it all for free.

Here is some info I found on this web site.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Gear-Technique/camping/backpack_overview.htm

"Benefits and Drawbacks of Internal & External Frame Backpacks

Internal Frame Backpacks - The benefits of an internal frame backpack is that they tend to ride closer to the body and not move around nearly as much as an external frame backpack. Internal frame backpacks are ideal for off-trail use or for where maintaining balance, even under a heavy load, is crucial. Internal frame backpacks also tend to carry heavy loads better and disperse the weight more evenly than external frame backpacks. Internal frame backpacks also generally have much more padding as the pack rides closer to the hiker.

The downside to internal frame backpacks is that, especially in the summer, they can make the hiker quite warm. Internal frame backpacks ride along the hikers back, allowing very little ventilation to cool things off and evaporate the hikers sweat. Organization can also be a problem. Internal frame backpacks usually only have a handful of outside pockets and one main compartment that runs the entire length of the pack. While proper packing can minimize this problem, external frame backpacks, due to usually their larger number of pockets, makes organizing things and locating things easier.

External Frame Backpacks - On external frame backpacks, the pack is attached to an aluminum frame. Advantages of external frame backpacks include better organization abilities due to more pockets. It is easier to attach external gear to an external backpack (the frame of the pack makes for a handy attachment point for all sort of things). Additionally, because the frame rides much further off the hikers body, the back of a hiker will stay much cooler.

One big disadvantage, though, of external frame backpacks is because they do not fit the hiker snugly, they tend to move around and sway a lot. This can cause some balance problems, especially when traversing rocky terrain or crossing streams."

______

The 'big disadvantage" they speak of above is not a problem for me for some reason. I don't recall having a pack sway or losing my balance. Good luck picking a pack!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-05 AT 09:38PM (MST)[p]I picked up a just on #105 from Glen at the recent hunting show here in SLC. As previously stated, with the spike camp bag attached to the back, it provides plenty of room for a 7 day hunt. If I need more room then it provides, I will be getting some lama's to hall my stuff!

It is big for a day pack, but if I shoot a deer/elk, I want to take as much out as possible on the first trip and not have to go back to retrieve another pack to start that process.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom