hunting scope reticle question

ck

I'm looking for a new long range, simple, hunting scope. Average shots will be 200-450 yards I'd say, and it's going on a 7mm magnum. I know my bullet drops and know how to compensate in my regular plex reticle, but I'd like to take it one step further.

I'm looking at the Leupold vxiii 4.5-14x40 with the B&C reticle, or possibly considering the Swarovski 3-10 with the TDS reticle. I'm not crazy about custom turrents as I don't want to have to tinker with them when the moment of truth happens. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

ck, Custom turrets are almost useless at the yardages you describe. Seems like you are doing pretty well with what you have already. mtmuley

Luepold will make a crosshair drop system for your load, makes more sence to me than a one system fits all like a b&c reticle. but have to agree with mtmuley, out to 400 yds, it seems like a wast of time.

I've got the B&C reticle on my vortex. I wouldn't say its useless. You just need to know it don't work for every gun. The 7mm Rem Mag is an excellent choice for the B&C reticle. There are plenty of loads that will match up really well in
the 150 to 160gr. range. It should put you plus or minus an inch or 2 at all ranges out to 600.

>Luepold will make a crosshair drop
>system for your load, makes
>more sence to me than
>a one system fits all
>like a b&c reticle. but
>have to agree with mtmuley,
>out to 400 yds, it
>seems like a wast of
>time.

I agree, but if you really want one, my buddy had leupold make a reticle up for his wifes new 257 wrthby, he said its dead nuts! she killed her antelope at 450 yds. You have to send them the imfo. of course, bullet,weight,velocity,altitude etc.
Good luck!

b&c and the tds are generic systems that you wont know what yardage the lines will represent, as stated above, for 150 bucks, leupold will make a reticle for your gun.

I called Leupold just last week to ask about the price to install a custom BDC reticle in a VX-II I have and the guy told me $70

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

I think one of the easiest to use - and it does work pretty well is the Leupold Long Range reticle. Crosshair is set for you to aim right on at 200 yards, then the next dot is 300, then 400. Its real easy to get used to and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out when shooting at game.

From what I've gathered, you have to have the scope on max magnification for it to work. I don't like that as I like to turn my scope down some when shooting. Also, it looks like all the lines would just jumble together in low light on the B&C reticle. I like the looks of the dots better, but still undecided on which one.

Main cross hair works on any magnification, other one don't.
200 0 drop
300 4.5" 1.5 moa
400 18" 4.5 moa
500 37.5" 7.5 moa
600 66" 11 moa

I have been shooting my 300 RUM with the Leupold B&C reticle. Main crosshair dead on at 300 yard 1st line on at 400 yards 2nd line on at 500 yards so I decided to shoot 600 yards using the top of the post. 2 feet high so hopefully it will be on at 700 have not shot it at that range yet.

The B&C reticle is a wonderful system. I would start with your specific load. Use a ballistic calculator to find the trajectory your specific load shoots (using velocity, BC, etc.). If the B&C reticle matches your load then your in great shape. If not, the custom shop will make one that matches your rifle.

Keep in mind that a custom reticle will be good only for that rifle, where the B&C is made to cover a range of loads. I was all set to go the custom route but the B&C was so close to my trajectory there was no point going custom. Very nice to have a specific hold point for a 400 yard shot.

I too learned my bullet drops from actual shooting practice at distance, felt fairly comfortable compensating out to 500yds. But since i started using, last season, the reticule system, i'm now even more confident in times when i choose to take the longer shot at game.

When set up zero'd in on at 300 yds., was both happy and surprised to find both 400 and 500 yd marks so close to center bull might as well say dead on at those distances too. Before next season, i'll test even more but for now i'm pretty well fixed and confident in the system. It's nice to both know your drops AND the B&C redicule system. Feel confident or don't take the shot! :)

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom