Hunting shows on TV

Triple_BB

Very Active Member
I know most of the filming sequences on these hunting shows are phoney, but what's the deal with these guys shooting deer when its light out and then you see them locating the deer when its pitch dark. I saw some stupid whitetail show where they located the buck and showed it to the camera and you could see the tag taped around the antler.

thats just the way tv is, there is scripting and outtakes and many other things involed. these hunting shows and dvd's are more less to advertise the newest and latest equipment and guide services in a manner that will keep the outdoorsman watching. thats just my opinion. they also have alot of people believing that there are 190"-200" deer around every bush. the parts that they dont show is the 80+ people that have been hired to scout and keep tabs on these big buck until their clients get off the plane and transported to the "trophy", they then video the kill scene or make one up with alot of editing so it looks good or looks leagal. its all about money and who has the most of it. the more you have the bigger the "trophy". but like i said, thats just my opinion.

I hear ya T-BB,

I had a buddy save up for two years to go on one of those Canadian Goose/Whitetail Combo hunts.

He and his partner get up there and they have two or three fields just loaded with geese coming and deer all over the fields but they can not hunt them as they are being staged??? for some TV show that is coming in and those fields are for the TV show only.

They had an okay hunt and got quite a few geese and both harvested decent Whitetail bucks but he said he would never book with another TV show outfitter.

Robb

I just cant watch hunting shows anymore. Too many of these shows are "hold my hand" hunts with a fence or food plots. Real hunts are on public land competing for game and on your own!!!!!!

Absolutely correct Robb! I occasionally on the weekends or a Friday and weekend will help a guy in my area guide hunters on his lease if he has too many hunters. If a big deer has been located on trail cam or seen by one of us that have permission to be on the property that area is off limits. When the Magazine writers or one of the hunting programs come that area is for them. I think it happens with most outfitters not all. The paying customer never knows he is really being cheated. I don't think its right but it is what it is.

I don't believe that many of the shows are on high fenced property, but just the fact that almost every one of them is on private property where the animals can be manipulated with food plots and hunter numbers kept to a minimum compared to all us DIYers hunting public land makes them very unrealistic.

As for the tag on the antler as "walk up and find" the animal...most states require you affix the tag immediately. Filming for a couple of minutes with the tag not in place will put the host at risk of a violation. A single violation could put you on the sideline in dozens of states for a season or two. You could lose sponsors. Old women would hiss at you. Uncle Ted would even shake his head in disbelief.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-12 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]Most these shows have to re-film there shot. i have seen on show where realtree said they cant wait to track this buck in the snow. here they were tracking in the snow and following there footprints.

they track them early in-case the deer gets up running and clean the blood up some. they say they are going to the deer or whatever overnight but i bet they wait a lot less than that.

my favorite line is when they say its time to pack this animal out. then a buggy shows up. lol. what a joke...

Noticed that the Drop Zone has been removed from the shows I watch. They were hunting Ohio with rifles....on a 150 acre high fence!

On a high note, watched Syndicate Hunting. Looks like the real deal w/ draw tags.

A few years back I was watching a show about Muzzy Deer Hunting in WY with the Country Singer John Anderson. They were walking down a trail talking loudly when John stops and says there's one. They show a nice 4x4 laying down behind a downed tree all you can see is it's head and neck. And this buck is looking pretty stiff to me. Then John pulls up and shoots without really aiming and the buck slowly drops his head like it was on a stick or somebody was laying down next to it holding it up. Not like a real shot were they drop like a sack of spuds. That was the worst of many I have seen.

I can't even stand to watch most of these shows anymore. Its just not reality for the average guy. On your own adventures is the only show I set my dvr for these days. I don't care to see some dbags rolling up to a hunting lodge in a $250,000 motorhome and go shoot a deer. Not for me.

I dvr OYOA and Meat Eater. Those guys do it like I'd like to do it. Public land with draw or otc tags.

I like Cody Ribbons show Live to Hunt. It seems pretty real, they must be better actors than the other shows.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

OYOA and live 2 hunt are my favoriites.Living in the California Bay area i don't get to view wildlife like alot of guys do so i'll record most of the shows then fast forward through just to see the critters.

I enjoy the webisodes from Heartland Bowhunter on Vimeo. Great camera work.

DTfaM.gif

The only hunting show I watch is MeatEater with Steve Rinella. I enjoy watching the cooking side of it just as much as the hunting. I just wish it was longer than a 30 min episode.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom