Hunting South of Pagossa Springs

Ccreeves

I have been archery hunting for elk in unit 62 for the last several years and I was thinking of going some place different. I was looking at the Blue and Bear mountain area South of Pagossa Springs. I was also looking around the Buckles Lake area. My hunting partner and I like to set up a comfortable camp and take day hikes to do our hunting. We like to be back at our camp every night to eat a good meal and sleep in a fairly warm comfortable bed.

Does anyone have any information about these areas that might help us? Is it crowded, is it as steep as unit 62, big question is there elk there? Is there good places to camp? Etc.

Lots of private and reservation land.
Might look into Buckles Lake area for starters?
Good luck.

Hunted by Buckles Lake one time many years ago during 2nd season...if I remember things correctly, it was not too steep and I saw a couple of elk...was pretty thick and hard to glass where I was....that might be better for archery hunting though. Hope you get some intel, but could easily not as this is a pretty specific small area.

Thanks nripepi for the information. We would like to hunt somewhere around Pagossa. We don't mind burning up some boot leather, but it is always good to have a starting point. Do you recommend another place to start.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom