Hunting state ground in Utah

Blanding_Boy

Very Active Member
SITLA press release--good news...SITLA grounds to remain open for hunting, traping and fishing.

STATE OF UTAH
SCHOOL & INSTITUTIONAL TRUST LANDS ADMINISTRATION
675 EAST 500 SOUTH, SUITE 500
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84102

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 16, 2007

PUBLIC ACCESS CONTINUES ON TRUST LANDS

The Trust Lands Administration and the Department of Natural Resources have entered into a new agreement to continue to allow public hunting, trapping, fishing, and viewing of public wildlife on approximately 3.2 million acres of Utah trust lands while providing fair compensation to Utah's schoolchildren and other trust beneficiaries.

The agreement is for a 10-year term beginning September 1, 2007, continuing through September 1, 2016.

In addition to providing public access on trust lands, the Trust Lands Administration has agreed to not:
* join in any Cooperative Wildlife Management Unit for the life of the agreement
* enter into any agreement, lease, or contract that would preclude hunting, trapping, fishing, and viewing of public wildlife

The Trust Lands Administration:
* will continue to have jurisdiction and regulatory authority over trust lands
* can continue to pursue revenue generating activities on trust lands
* can continue to lease or sell trust lands

If the Trust Lands Administration sells or leases certain large blocks of trust land, the payment made by the Department of Natural Resources to Trust Lands will be reduced by specified amounts.

"I believe we have an accord that serves two worthy purposes - public access to premium hunting and recreational lands and fair compensation to the beneficial owners of those lands," says Kevin Carter, Director of the School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration. "I am pleased with the outstanding effort the Department of Natural Resources and the Division of Wildlife Resources have devoted to this arrangement."

"We are pleased with this new agreement. It represents a fair balance between the interests of the Trusts Lands Administration and DNR," says Mike Styler, DNR Executive Director. "The agreement preserves these critical wildlife habitats and keeps them open to hunters, fishers and other wildlife enthusiasts."

3.2 million acres still available for everyome to hunt. Great news. Thanks to all that helped. One reason for sportsmen organizations to be involved in the political process. Should be good for kids and schools as well. Utah draw odds would be even worse if school trust lands would have been leased out to outfitters for only the rich.

That is great news I new that was going on. Does anyone know how much it took to get it leased again. I knew the trust lands had some high pollting number crunchers that said they needed like 10 times what they were getting previously or they would turn it in to cwmu lands.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

I have follwed this issue for more than a year. This is a significant event. With long negotiations. In my opinion, especially the fact that they will not join in CMWUs etc. I am sure that pressure is building and more profitable. I think people would be amazed how much land is under control by this division.

The School Trust Lands will get $500,000 a year starting 2008, and each year after that it increases by 5%, so that would be $525,000 in 2009.

Every sportsmen in Utah who enjoys hunting all these great lands should send a thank you note to Utah Congressman Jim Matheson who played a major role in bringing this event to pass, and for those who are members of Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife this is in part what you get for your membership, and for the other 90,000 who are not members, we invite you to become one. There was a tremendous amount of work done behind the scenes to bring this about.

Utah DWR did great job in final negotiations.

Glad to answer any questions, but a great deal for the school kids and a great ten year deal for all sportsmen who draw general season or limited tags to hunt on 3.2 million acres.

Don Peay

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom