Hunting superstitions.. what are yours?

NMPaul

Huntmor2 brought up a good point. How many of you guys have hunting supersitions?

I know that I resort to my "lucky" hunting shirt when I feel like it is neccessary.

If I add a new item of clothes to my hunting stuff and we have several bad days, I always hesitate to wear it again and save it only for non-hunt situations.

Never Jinx yourself by being over confident. That one got me last year on my elk hunt.

Kiss the bullet that is going in the chamber. Yep I do it.

Never clean a bloody pack. Bad luck.

Do not wear a meat carrying pack for a day hunt. Definete Jinx.

Forget a knife.... odds of success go up.

>Most of those and I also
>have a bobble head elk
>in the truck that needs
>to be pet before we
>head into the field.

good one.

Anyone have good luck charms they take with them?

I have my daughter pick out the particular bullet/arrow I will use first. Also carry a small leather pouch with the ivories from my first bull and an arrowhead I found right before I got my first bow kill elk.

Good ones. I cant keep anything in my pocket. Cant tell you how many ivories I have lost out of my pockets.

Novena to Saint Hubert.

See icon on a bottle of Jagermeister (don't need to drink the nasty stuff though). 'Surrounding the label is a German phrase, which loosely translated means: "This is the hunter's badge of honor, which he protects and wears as his shield, to guard, while in the fine and honorable profession of hunting; which also honors the Creator and his creations."'

His Feast day is November 3.

I carry a couple Ivories and a Zuni stone fetish of a badger.I had been carrying a panther,but I was given the badger by a Zuni hunter I met on a hunt. He said the badger is for hunts,as it represents tenacity.I keep them in a leather pouch attached to my compass on a belt loop/pocket.

This one is passed down from my Grandpa.
Every big game hunt you have to bring a new bottle of Old Crow whiskey. Cap on the bottle can't be broke until someone bags something. When someone brings something back to camp, the bottle is opened and everyone toasts the successful hunter. Once the cap is busted, that bottle can't be taken on another hunt, have to buy a new bottle. For a while there Old Crow was hard to find. We went on one buck hunt in 2B and couldn't find a bottle anywhere. Took some other type of whiskey and wine. Didn't work. Nobody bagged nothing, and that was in 2B! lol Since then we've made sure to stock up on Old Crow!

Travis

Never plan a hunt before you draw the tag. Bad Karma.

Hank, I had some Zuni indians take a bunch of feathers from a turkey I got one year for some of their rituals. I had killed a bird and hiked down to the road and was waiting to be picked up.

>Never plan a hunt before you
>draw the tag. Bad
>Karma.
>
>Hank, I had some Zuni indians
>take a bunch of feathers
>from a turkey I got
>one year for some of
>their rituals. I had
>killed a bird and
>hiked down to the road
>and was waiting to be
>picked up.

I hear ya Paul,I haven't even looked at a map of my draw choice areas. I've run into this guy 5 times, twice hunting in different units. I've bought some more fetishes too,they go good with pottery pieces and arrowheads,skulls and such.

On opening morning I always take my best arrow out of the quiver and shoot it into the top off a tree in camp as a sacrifice to the archery gods. It has always worked for me. Its expense but that's what makes it a sacrifice right?

When unsuccessful across the board in a draw, I won't apply again on the same date (this gets tougher as the years go by...)

I will never wear matching camo patterns.

Changing baseball caps is always my first "slump buster" move during a hunt.

When duck hunting, I never pull out my bird strap before killing a bird or even after the first or second bird is down. Must have at least 3 birds in the bag before I begin strapping them.

Good luck with the draw, folks!

GK

Nope , luck is opportunity waiting to happen.Ridin bulls for years I never felt much about good or bad luck.Get on , run your hand down the middle and keep your chin down, and hope they buck!Same thing with the draw, enter up and hope the spin lands on my number! Somebody has to draw , may as well be me, heck or you...

Anybody ever see the arrow tree close to the AZ and NM state line. Must be hundreds of arrows in the tree from what I have heard. I have never seen it myself.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom