Hunting Tactics

thinair

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-09 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]What is the most effective way to hunt elk/mule deer? Spot and stock, ambush, or calling(elk)?

Some folks believe in tree stands exclusively. Others believe in calling and spot and stalk exclusively. I say use the best tool for any particular job. I spent 4 years sitting tree stands almost exclusively for elk and mule deer and didn't have a single horned animal come by in over 150 hours up there in the wind. Last year while sneaking around calling sparsely for elk in Wy, I had a monster bull come bed but 30 yards from one of my stands. Go Figure!

The more you're out there the more you'll see which technique will work for you. After 20 something years of getting it wrong, this year is going to be my year. Big stinky is going to hit the dirt for sure. It will be either from a stand or from sneaking and calling one in. I can feel it. :) Hehehehehe! :)

Cheers,
Pete

it also depends on what time of year and the hunting conditions. If your hunting elk with a bow and its hot and dry and there isnt much water in your area then water holes is a good idea. If the rut is going good sometimes calling works. Ive found though that calling in big bulls( and this depends on the area where you hunt) is really hard. Stalking elk when their bugling believe it or not is very effective. Just keep the wind right and go to them if their bugling a lot. That seems to work well in the early rut when they dont have all sorts of cows with them.

Spotting and stalking is by far my most favorite way to hunt these animals! Nothing pits a humans skills and senses against that of these weary animals more! It takes years of practice to find what works best for you. Once you get there you are on your way to the best hunting you have ever experienced!

Jared "J-Rod" Bloomgren

www.myspace.com/jaredbloomgren
http://www.camospace.com/Bloomgren

"Getting close to game undetected and maintaining self control while delivering a well placed shot are the true keys to bowhunting success." -M.R.James

Hunting tactics change based on the time of year and the time of day and the area.? Some of the areas in AZ where we hunt elk it is best to hunt over water not only because it is scarce but because the big bulls are often call leary.? It also depends on the time of day.? Even in areas where we call there are good times to sit water where you've been seeing them come into.? Scouting is the key.? I think sitting in a tree stand can be effective but limits you if they hang up just outside of view or range.
Last year I had a hunter on an early AZ archery bull hunt where we had this big bull coming into a tank like clock work every evening around 5:40 PM. So the opening morning hunt we spent calling and stalking him but with his cows in tow we just couldn't get in close enough for the shot. We decided not to push him and wait till the evening and get him when he came into the tank. Well, it ended up raining for several hours during the day and there were puddles of water everywhere. Elk are often creatures of habit so with that in mind the hunter really wanted to sit the tank. With water everywhere nothing came to the tank that evening. Leaving the tank we headed back and in the meadow by our camp we saw the big bull with some cows. With 15 mintes of light left we ran the 3/4 of a mile down the hill to the last few cedars before the bull. I had my hunter sneak to the last small tree and I got back about 30 yards and started cow calling. The bull immediately came towards us. I kept calling and he slowly past by the hunter and stopped at 25 yards. The hunter was able to make a successful shot all just before dark. Opening evening bull success but not exactly how we imagined it. Weather can change your tactics. It was that hunters first ever elk, (7x7 419 P&Y gross 410 net).

Rod

In open country there's nothing funner than spot and stalk muley hunting IMO. Sitting in a blind on a water hole or on a travel route is just too darn boring for me. Plus like "J-Rod" said, there's nothing like pitting your own skill against a mature muley buck's senses on his own turf.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom