Hunting Tags

T

Tresspass1

I would like to ask how do i go about getting a deer tag or tags, for an Archery hunter? I will be living in So Cal area in 2 weeks, and i want to get on this ASAP, so i can scout,and plan.

Thanks
T

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-10 AT 09:58PM (MST)[p]The deadline for getting app's in, is usually the first week of june. The hunting reg's come out a month or two earlier. I think. When you get down to S. Ca. go to a sporting goods store and talk to them about when the reg's come out, and if they will have them. You will have to buy a hunting license and a 1st deer tag application. Or even the possibility of a 2nd deer tag app. if you are applying for a zone that allows two tags. Then you will have to fill the app. out and send them into the F@G by the deadline. Easy as pie. All it takes is money.

Welcome to bowhunting in Southern California!

Archery Only tags (AO) are unlimited in this state and allow you to hunt all of the different zones here in Southern Cal. There are also two area specific archery hunts (Los Angeles County Either-Sex Archery & San Diego Either-Sex Archery) that must be applied for before the drawing deadline......but they are 100% drawn if in by the deadline. Since you can arrow two deer a year here, you can apply for one of each (AO & A31) and hunt from September to December 31st in the same area.

If you want to venture N/E of here.....towards the Sierras, you'll need to put in for those zones during the draw, as they are limited and more sought after. It may take you a few points to draw.....but you have a chance your first time depending on which hunt you apply for.

Applications and regs usually come out the end of April and into May. Deadline is usually the first week of June.

As for bowhunting down here, I HIGHLY suggest you join the California Bowmen Hunters (CBH) and get into a local archery club. There are several throughout Southern California. You'll meet other archers and learn some areas to hunt as well.

PM me for info on CBH if needed. Welcome again.....hope to see you at the CBH State Broadhead 3D shoot on Memorial Day weekend.....it's at the Oranco Bowmen range right here in Southern California (Prado Park area near Corona). Good opportunity to meet some of the best bowhunters in the State.

BOHNTR )))---------->

10-4 Awesome info, Thankyou. i would love to take advantage of the either sex tag, and 2nd tag opps. I have family wich has property to hunt back in tehachapi and i would like to try and hunt out there, i guess we will see how i draw then. when i get settled down there i will pm ya to get the info on cbh, and i would love to attend the 3d tourny.

I see that i better earn some points for an elk tag, how long does it take for archery elk tag?

As others have said deer bow tags are a good way to hunt early and unmolested, especially AO tags.
But elk tags in CA are by draw only and since there are only about 367 total tags and over 22,000 applicants get ready to wait. At least we have points if not drawn. I have max elk and deer points and am always hopeful I will draw...

Stop Global Whining

Thanks for all the killer info guys. how hard is it to get a bear tag, i allways like to carry one(bears think i taste good). in Wa we get 2 otc bruin tags every year, and it never fails for me to run into one that likes my huntin spot more than me.

I would like to Archery hunt D 9 or D10, and i was wondering if i can draw a second tag there also, so i could hunt modern with my grandfather. What are my options? any info is appreciated

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom