Hunting unit 7 Elk

elkhunter7pt

I'm putting in for the unit seven bull hunt and as a backup will be putting in for a cow tag to try and learn this area. Have many of you hunted this unit for elk and how hard is it to find the cows? Also are there land owners in this unit willing to let you hunt there land for the anterless elk without a big price? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kurt

I have never hunted the unit ,but have looked into elk hunting there. Most land owners get a pretty high fee that I talked to.I gaveup when I see the draw odds for non residents . It would take me 25 years to draw.great unit though if you get a license.

i drew there this year and had a great hunt! i dont know anything about the private, we just hunted public, bet we seen plenty of elk when we got away from the roads. it was a blast and hopefully someday we can draw again.

I thought i read that they issue over 1000 tags for unit 7.Is 7 that big and is there enough public land to hunt without running into everybody?

Yes, 7 is a huge area and the elk are still over population objective. There are places you can go to shoot a cow without charge, and several ranchers will allow access. The public lands get hit pretty hard, but you can still have success if you get away from the hordes and persist. Deeded lands are best, but the public can be decent as well.

I would check with the Game Wardens and bioligists in Converse and Platte counties, then also the Chambers of Commerce in Douglas and Wheatland. Those are the best starts.

It isnt an easy area to hunt by any means and figuring out the private boundaries was a mess but it worked out.

I went with a buddy 2 yrs ago and I did most of the research and got landowners names from the Game and Fish. We also found the private/public lands a bit challenging. He paid a trespass fee which seemed relativley reasonable (I think it was $400) but we didn't see a lot of elk and didn't score but would certainly go back if we ever draw again. He drew and the odds were about 2%.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom