Hwy 395 in California

Bob D.

Very Active Member
Hey guys, I'm from Washington, and the wife and I are going to Ontario, CA for Thanksgiving. I've never been there and I'm thinking about driving down highway 395 instead of I-5. Just wondering is that a good way to go this year or is there the possibility of too much snow? I was looking at a map and it looks like it goes through a lot of mountainous country south of Reno. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone familiar with that stretch of highway.

Bob D.

It's one of the most beautful drives our state has to offer. With the current weather forecast, I think you'd be fine on Hwy 395. Be safe and enjoy the trip.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks so much! Is there any particular spots I should plan on stopping or taking a detour off the main highway?

THAT DRIVE IS BEAUTIFUL, 395 IS ALWAYS OPEN. GO TO THE TOWN OF MAMMOTH LAKES, ITS GOT EVERYTHING. SKI LODGES, RESTAURANTS,SPORTING GOODS STORES, ECT. ITS LOS ANGELES BACK YARD PLAY GROUND, LOTS TO DO. ALSO THE JUNE LAKE LOOP IS WORTH THE DRIVE. THE AREA IS GREAT FOR DEER, ELK, AND SHEEP IF YOU CAN GET THE TAG. NOW AND THEN I KNOW SOMEONE WHO DRAWS IN THE AREA. YD.

Thanks YD! That's a big help. I'll try to check out those two areas you mentioned. It would be great to see some wildlife.

Bob, This is one of the prettiest drives in California. Right now it's dry but that can change any minute. There are too many beautiful spots to visit in one trip, but a few good ones going south would be Bridgeport(Twin Lakes and the Sawtooths), Virginia Lakes, Lee Vining(the Gateway to Yosemite) Mammoth and Mammoth lakes, Bishop, Convict Lake, The fish hatchery( feed the rainbows weighing 10lbs +) at Independence, Lone Pine( Mt Whitney is above you to the west) and the Alabama Hills( where many western movies have been filmed)...
It's a great trip for the kids, and don't forget to watch for the Tule Elk.

Stop Global Whining

Where can I see the Tule Elk? I always thought they were only near the coast. Are they up in the mountains too?

Thanks for the info!

Keep your eyes open between Bishop and Lone Pine and you will see Tule elk.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Yukon Dall,
Hey I grew up in Bishop and spent all my summers in Mammoth & June Lake and have never seen a elk or sheep of any kind in that area. Just curious as to where you have seen them, it is like my back yard and truly awesome country though.
Dave

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-05 AT 06:51PM (MST)[p]Muleycrazy,

Do you know where silver canyon is on the northeast end of bishop?? You enter at the old Laws railroad museum and head up into the white mountains Nelson desert bighorns are easily observed in the canyon. Go up the road to cottonwood pass out of lone pine and you have a good chance of seeing sierra bighorns. Now elk are easy, look in any of the hayfields between Bishop and lone pine.

JB

Edit: now that I reread your post, I see you were most likely asking about the mammoth, June lake area. Maybe a lonesome sheep up there but no elk.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

D13er,
Yes I was referring to the June Lake loop area. I thought that is what the post said, maybe I too read it wrong.
I know very well about the white Mts. and the sheep up there, more to the North end of the range anyway, Silver Canyon is awesome too. I have watched the Tule elk many times between Big Pine and Lone Pine, wish I could draw a permit there. I left there in 1980 after high school so the sheep situation could of changed up there, all I ever saw were domesticated.
Dave

You might want to stop in and visit the Modoc National Wildlife Refuge at Alturas. It's right off 395. Should see some huge muley bucks this time of year. 395 between Oregon and Susanville might be my favorite highway to travel.

Have a nice trip!

Steve

It depends on time frame you have for traveling. I-5 is quickest way, 395 is prettiest, Coast is slowest. Family and I have traveled them all. ( we are 30 min north of Ontario, travel almost annually to I-5 / Hwy 12 )
Here are some Tules north of Lone Pine.

( can't shrink the picture small enough, sorry )

Here are a few of the pictures 4kidz ask to have posted, nice pic's.

4382b1ec36c6485e.jpg

4382b21137071438.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom