I AM A UTAH CRIMINAL

Forkhorn

it is proposed in Northern Utah to make it illegal to pick up a shed between December and May.... That means no cleaning your house or inspecting your collection.... I really hope that this one doesnt go through... Any opinions on this one? I really want to find a whole bunch of people here in opposition of this.......its amazing how from one year to the next things can become illegal.... Pretty soon they will make it illegal to hike on your own property in the winter time....

With the dramatic increase in the popularity of shedhunting I can see where this proposition comes from. Not all people are shedhunting in an animal friendly manner. I'd sure hate to see regulations like this put into action because it would be very difficult to enforce. Sure a lot of shedhunters would abide by the law but i'm sure there would be a bunch of people out there collecting bone during the closure and getting away with it....by the time the closure is up what do the rest of the law followers have left?

If it had to be, I could maybe see a closure untill the end of March or mid April.

that would NEVER work. no one would obey that law! i know i sure wouldn't. it would be like a giant motocross race the day the shed season opened!

Pass all the new laws you want. Criminals are not expected to obey laws anyway, so it won't effect me - right?

I can go for a hike into the hills anytime I want, and nobody cares.

I can bring a backpack, binoculars, and a camera with me on these hikes, and nobody cares.

If I happen to find a shed antler while I'm on one of these hikes, and I stuff the shed into my backpack, why would anybody care?

I am NOT out there tearing up the place on a 4-wheeler.

I am NOT chasing the animals into the deep snow or causing stress.

Why would anybody care?

Or maybe a better question would be - how could they catch me?

They can't. Because there is NEVER any F&G officers out in the field. I have never seen an officer while shed hunting. In fact, I never saw a single officer during any of the three deer seasons either. I wasn't trying to avoid them - they just weren't out there.

Wyoming has tried to set an antler hunting season too. Public opposition has delayed it for a time but the game and fish still bring up the subject. They have closed some critical winter range to any human presence from the end of the 4 month long hunting season till May 1st.There are still coyotes that sneak in to get the best of the bone in the spring because of the lack of enforcement. I can see the need to protect the game from the increasing amount of disturbance from antler collectors in some areas especialy in a bad winter. It's a free country Thank God so voice your opinion to the law makers! The public opposition in Wyoming litteraly has kept the Game and Fish from locking up a lot of public land! It does help to get organized and make some noise!!!

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

Laws only come into play when too many people abuse the current system.

Too many people are abusing the current system, so a law must now come into play.

Watching people chasing mule deer bucks in hopes that their antlers fall off will change your mind on this one in a hurry. Leave the animals alone for a few months. A true conservationist will understand the reasoning behind this law.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE TELL THE WORLD "I WILL BREAK THE LAW" NO MATTER WHAT!!!

NOW IF THE OLE cat MENTIONS BREAKING THE LAW (FREE TUNE-UPS!!!) WELL FRICK THESE OTHER LAW BREAKERS DON'T LIKE IT,WTF???

IF I CATCH YOU CHASING A DEER OR ELK OR MOOSE OR ANY OTHER ANIMAL ON YOUR ATV YOU'LL DAMN WELL WISHED YOU'D OF RUN INTO THE DWR FIRST!!!

I'M SICK OF GAME BEING HERASSED BY A$$HOLES THAT DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!!

YA NEVER KNOW WHERE YOU MIGHT SEE THE OLE cat!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THE DWR/USFS PROBABLY WILL MAKE SOME MORE RULES/LAWS,WHY I DON'T KNOW,THEY WON'T/CAN'T EVEN ENFORCE THE LAWS THEY ALREADY HAVE!!! :D :D :D :D

Here Here BESS! I watched a bull last year drop one antler and several people run after it. Then those SOB's chased that bull in 3 feet of snow until the other horn dropped. That bull looked like he was going to die on the spot. Fortunately for me I was watching the whole episode with my neighbor (DWR officer) and we followed them to the road where he gave them one hell of a ticket. It's because of people like this that I support that kind of law. Go ahead break the law, if I can't catch you,, I'll turn BESS loose on ya!!!

It's always an adventure!!!

AWHOLELOTTABULL!!!

DID THEY GET A 500.00 FINE FOR HERASSING THE WILDLIFE???

WE HAD A COUPLE OF LOCALS GET 500.00 FINES FOR THROWING M-80'S AT DEER,TRYING TO GET THEM OFF OF PRIVATE PROPERTY SO THEY COULD SHOOT THEM!!!

THE ONLY bobcat NOT TOLLERATING IT ANYMORE!!! :D :D :D :D

Bobcat, your smileing to much lately :D, gives people the wrong impresion of ya. We all know your kinda crabee. ;-)

MM Member since 1999. Jake H

WELL Jake H!!!

MAYBE IF I WAS GOING ON THAT LATE MULEY HUNT WITH YOU I'D START SMILING A LITTLE MORE???

BY THE WAY!!!

WHERE DID THE BIG 3 POINT BUCK COME FROM???

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING??? :D :D :D :D

AWHOLELOTTABULL,

your post is exactly my position.. the DWR can already enforce laws making it illegal to push/harass animals on the winter range. Why a shed season? Maybe its because that would allow them to sieze antlers to resell at auctions or mount in court houses? Im not supporting the shed season. I think we have enough laws out there. Lets enforce those first.
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

I think its a great idea! At least set it up in prime wintering ground areas. I cant stand hearing all of the stories of guys dogging deer and elk for days on end just to pick up an antler.

Sadly it does not suprise me that there are people here that openly admit that they would potentially break a game law just because they disagree with it. I wonder what else they would overlook because it does not serve their purpose? Its amazing that people ##### and moan about the deer hunting in Utah when you can read some of the replies here and figure it out whats wrong pretty quick.

Drum

Hunt,

Tell me the difference between game harrassment and a shed hunting law? I think thats the issue with me over this. By voting yes, your encouraging the state to adopt MORE laws instead of enforceing the laws already on the books. I have issues with more laws involving hunting when they don't enforce the ones already there.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

AND........

Im going to follow the law if it is passed.. I would be really sad if that were to happen tho.
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

The problem with the law as it is now is that it is vague. Dont harrass game. The problem with this is that with the growing popularity of shed hunting there are more and more people out there waiting for these deer and elk to shed their antlers. You get all of these people out in the same area trying to race each other to the same sheds and harrassment is going to become an issue even if you dont intend it to be. Its the nature of the beast.

The only way to eliminate this is to have a clearly defined solution to the problem. Close it off until the deer and elk have moved off their wintering grounds. Its really too bad that it comes to this type of solution but you simply dont have enough game and fish officers in the state of Utah to control the numbers of people that continue to try and get to the best sheds first.

Drum

PS, there was no doubt in my mind that you would obey the law. My remark was pointed to the individuals that stated they would not abide by the law if it were indeed passed.

I understand the vague part.. but as a law goes, in my mind.. the more vague.. the more it can be used by law enforcement. (sorta like disorderly/intoxication laws)

You make a good point.. The part I like is the "area" issue/... unfortunatly, there wont be an area/winter range.. it will be state wide. weather an animal is there or not.

I say this from a law enforcement perspective... If I see somone chasing after animals to get sheds... its obviously
a game harrassment issue. This law (shed season) only hurts the honest person. I truely don't see it helping wildlife anymore then the game harrassment law. It also brings up issues involving minerals and jurisdiction. I could go on because I have thought about this ALOT since it was mentioned in WY. At that time, I thought it might be a good idea.. hell, it may help non residence to go find sheds... But, looking at it froma harrassment perspective, it doesnt solve the problem.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

I CAN TELL ALOT OF YOU BOYS HAVE NEVER BEEN AROUND THESE TARDS!!!

YOU TELL THEM NOT TO & THEY GO OUT OF THERE WAY TO TAKE IT THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!

SOMETIMES I THINK WE'D BE BETTER OFF TO SAY:pLEASE CHASE THEM ELK UNTIL THEIR HORNS FALL OFF!!!

PLEASE DESTROY THE FOREST WITH YOUR PEA BRAIN & YOUR LOWLIFE WHEELER!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING WHY THESE TARDS CAN'T LOOK INTO THE FUTURE & WAKE THE HELL UP??? :D :D :D :D

>I understand the vague part.. but
>as a law goes, in
>my mind.. the more vague..
>the more it can be
>used by law enforcement. (sorta
>like disorderly/intoxication laws)

I had not thought about that. Do you think that there are enough game wardens in UT to be effective in all reaches of the state?

>I say this from a law
>enforcement perspective... If I see
>somone chasing after animals to
>get sheds...

What if they claim they are just photographing deer, or patrolling for other people harrassing the animals. A lot of times it would just be your word against theirs. If a particular area were shut down it would be a black and white issue just like trespass.

>This law
>(shed season) only hurts the
>honest person. I truely don't
>see it helping wildlife anymore
>then the game harrassment law.

I think that the honest person would GREATLY benefit from a law like this. It might take a year or two but the honest people are not the ones ruining it for everybody. If the state of UT drops the hammer on a few guys like the ones that posted earlier in this thread and made examples out of them I think that the vast majority of people would have a greater respect for the laws and why they were implemented. The problem with the way it is in UT right now is that everybody thinks that they are entitled to something and it does not seem to me like they are willing to make sacrifices to get it. There is so much dissention out there, you see people complain about lack of quality of deer yet they pound forked horns, they complain about a potential shed season and gripe to no end when somebody is out on the wintering ground chasing deer. Its a never ending cycle and from the outside looking in it appears that changes ned to be made.

Drum

"What if they claim they are just photographing deer, or patrolling for other people harrassing the animals. A lot of times it would just be your word against theirs. If a particular area were shut down it would be a black and white issue just like trespass."

the key word is harrassing.. I wish more people would sign witness statements and be complainants. It wouldn't matter the excure, all one would need to prove is that they harrassed wildlife.

"Do you think that there are enough game wardens in UT to be effective in all reaches of the state?"

Not even close. We had an issue last weekend where an elk was killed/poached. We had to call a different county to send a game warden out because our county did not have one on duty... This falls into the relm of "citizens arrest" or people being willing to sign complaints. There is no way they can enforce this law.... They can't even fully enforce whats already in the code book.

As far as the honest person benefiting... I will agree to dis-agree. I think this post "the original post" proves that the honest person gets screwed as he watches the state sieze shed antlers from A-holes who broke the law (or they get away with it). It would be nice if everyone obeyed.. but NOT very likely.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

One more thing I want to say... Utah has already tried the shed law on antelope island... Its obvious that didnt work as even those sworn to protect broke that law.. not to mention they let the MuleDeer foundation president and his "guest" hunt it early before the general public.. I think we all remember that fiasco.. will Utah do that again? Will they try to make money by selling permits? Are shed antlers the property of the state once they are shed from a deer. There is NO law against possessing/selling shed antlers in Utah.. If this passes, there will be one.... Sad.
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Brandon - I understand your position completely and I too hate to see more laws made just bacause old ones didn't work. I also, think that it makes it a little more enforcable if you have dates. It is definately an enforcement issue. The elk that winter by my house I can photograph from 1000 yards away. I realize that everyone can't take pictures from that far but we have to protect the wildlife somehow. What would you propose we do instead of shed hunting dates? Enforcing the current laws are extremely difficult unless it's a blatant attempt at harrassing game. I support your oppinion however I also am for protecting those huge beautiful bulls that winter by my house every year.

It's always an adventure!!!

One way we can protect the bulls late in the season is get rid of ALL the late hunts...

Once again, Bess, you're full of crap! Your tough-guy anticts are tired and old.

Shed season or not, people will harrass animals. No stopping them. Shed season or not, I'll be hiking the hills. If I see a shed, guess what, it's not going to sleep outside.

'It's all about the gut pile'

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-06 AT 05:16PM (MST)[p]:7:7:7:7:7 Sneak, havent you noticed all the smily faces on bobcats posts, hes trying to lightin up his image for everyone, just give him time and soon he will be dancen around brokeback mountain with flowers in his hair. :7:7:7:7:7

Bob I sent you a PM

MM Member since 1999. Jake H

HEY Sneak!!!

ONCE AGAIN YOU HIDE BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER!!!

YOU DISABLE YOUR NAME & RUN YOUR MOUTH!!!

SO NO MATTER WHAT THE NEW SHED SEASON WILL BE YOUR BREAKING THE RULES RIGHT???

YOU'RE GONNA TAKE YOUR ATV INTO THE AREA EVEN THOUGH ITS CLOSED RIGHT???

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING YOU'RE A TYPICAL TARD,IT'S O.K. FOR YOU TO BREAK THE LAW BUT YOU'LL WHINE WHEN SOMEBODYELSE BREAKS IT BACK!!!

There is a problem with harassment. There is a problem with enforcement of the existing laws. We can help with the enforcement part by reporting any violations we see or even hear of. Get the idiots on video, license plate numbers, names, a lot of the time we can help in the enforcement area. The more we do to make a difference the longer we will be able to enjoy these areas year around without any more restrictions. When you hear of these jerks braging about how they ran down an animal to get its antlers let them know how you feel or better yet show them by stuffing that "trophy" antler down their throat!!!

There is a problem but when each of us who care do what we can to help it does make a difference!!!

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

Didn't say anything about riding a wheeler. If you dislike Utah residents so much, why don't you move.

It doesn't make any sense to have a shed season. What about the hikers, rabbit hunters, photographers, houndsmen, trappers...They can go about their recreation without additional specific limitations due to wildlife harassment.
As has already been stated, (beating the dead horse), we need to police ourselves....This ones for you Bess....LEGALLY....and be overall environmentally minded when if comes to our outdoor activities.

'It's all about the gut pile'

It looks like the no shed hunting law passed the wildlife board in Northern Utah. No shed hunting Feb -May 1st. It will be hard to enforce. I think it will/should give animals a break. We will find out.

BESS,

You ought to come shed hunting up in my area. I will even take
you to some of my favorite areas. The only condition; you must be willing to do do "low elevation" tune-ups.

I found some great areas 2 years ago, went there the next year wheeler tracks running all through the cedars.

Wyoming has closed down some winter range. I think its a great idea. Amazing that people will run animals until their antlers fall off. This is nothing less than POACHING.

I don't see why people would be offended. Maybe make it strictly a walk in area. Thats what I have seen Wyoming do.

THE .50 WORKS AS WELL LOW AS IT DOES HIGH!!!

SOME OF THESE TARDS THROW IT RIGHT IN OUR FACES THEY WILL BREAK THE LAW BUT YOU OUGHT TO SEE HOW MAD THEY GET WHEN I SHOW THEM I'LL BREAK THE LAW BACK,ONLY IF THEY BREAK IT FIRST OF COURSE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WILLING!!! :D :D :D :D

This law sucks. It sucks because laws like this are made because of the mental midgets who have no common sense. Now the rest of us have to suffer through it. But of course the same Joe Dirt acting jakass, that causes these laws comes on here spewing crap like " I am a Utah criminal", and "I'll just say I'm out takin picture and slip a shed in my pack" That $hit might impress the 16 year olds back a Shady Pile Trailor Court, but you won't be near as white trash neat while they are writing your ticket for you. So I hope everyone views this like poaching and any other Dirtbag offense and turns people in if you see them break this shed law.

The overall issue is being overlooked by this law. I don't think wildlife suffers if people are out on foot or horseback during winter range antler dropping seasons. Wildlife suffers when people are out there with motorized vehicles (ATV's).

The problem could be solved much easier by closing motorized vehicle access on winter range from Feb to May. It's much easier to enforce and doesn't penalize the low impact person hiking around and stumbling across the occasional antler.

It's pretty easy for a big buck to get away from a person on foot in February. It stresses him a lot more trying to get away from lazy idiots riding all over the place on their ATV's.

RE: I AM not A UTAH CRIMINAL

I totaly agree with you guys. I think the winter range closures for motorized vehicles is a much better idea..
Here is my prediction.

This law will last a year and then it will change to the motorized vehicle law... IF it stays on the books, one smart attorney will take the issue far enough to make case law that DWR doesnt have "control" over shed antlers. At that point it will become the motorized law anyway.

I would certainly encourage ANYONE who see's a violation to report it. Its the honest guy who is going to suffer with this law.. he was never the one chasing animals.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Do you think the DWR or Wildlife Board put any thought into the added pressure that this will put on areas where sheds can be LEGALY hunted. There's gonna be a lot of displaced shed hunters putting pressure on new areas......

Why'd they pick a region that is made up of mostly private land. Is this more of landowner/tresspasing issue?

The Cache herd needs a lot more help than this, but the DWR doesn't have the nads or smarts to do what really needs to be done-cut back on the number of hunters......

The Millville face already has restrictions, so does the Crawfords. They can't or don't enforce these areas as it is.....

Prism,

The Crawfords are an absolute joke! It is unfortunate, that we live in a take, take, take...society. I wish we as hunters could pull together and think what is BEST for the herd.

I know most on here are considerate of our deer herds. But many others have a take mentality!

Im with Browtine on this one. We need to enforce the laws we have before we make new ones....that being said, it looks like this will pass. We need to be sure to report violations, and follow-up with the DWR each time we make a report.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-06 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]Just remember there were no hunting seasons at one point, and we wouldn't have a deer or elk left alive to hunt today if it were not for some future-minded sportsman. I would guess that most of the people on here would call themselves sportsmen that are dedicated deeply to not only the sport, but the animal too.

With that said, what is best for the animal needs to be done, not to protect from the honest guy, but the "other" guy. A true trophy hunter cares about the species. In MT, WMAs are closed until May 15. It's a mad rush when they open, and some illegal shed hunting does occur, but the wardens do sting operations with transmitters embedded in horns. As for enforcement, what else do the wardens have to do all winter? Make sure the icefisherman aren't keeping too many perch?

I saw an elk once that was on the verge of collapse thanks to a couple of "tards". Sad thing to see.

I have to say.. the guy(s) looking at the future see this as an enforcement issue. I know because I am one of them. In my mind, the honest guy is the one enforceing this "new" law. I say "new" because game harrasment is exactly what they are trying to prevent.. and there is already that law. I certainly wouldnt see that DWR has enough people to hit all of the winter ranges and enforece it, thus leaving it to the rest of us.

Prism,
I would bet that this pushed more utah folks up to WY. They will love that... Just another Utah license plate to target.

Anyone know if they will be able to enforce this law on private property?

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

I was told once buy a warden that once a shed drops that it becomes the property of the landowner (In-Utah) if it is on private property. I once was shed hunting on a area that was not posted. The owner approached me and told me I was on private property and told me he wanted the sheds I had gathered. I gave them to him. I do not no if he had the rite to do this but it was not worth getting in a fight over. What do you guys think.

BasinBoy

I think the landowner had all of the right in the world.

It's always been my understanding that whoever owns or manages the land (private, BLM, Forest Service, State, Etc.) has ownership of things found on the land with the exception of wildlife-not including shed antlers.

For some reason I think shed antlers are like arrow heads, pottery, etc...... Probably changes from area to area and manager to manager. Some areas you can pick them up-some areas you can't. Just look at national parks......

I'm not sure how the DWR has jusrisdiction over shed antlers, especially if they're on private land??? I don't think it would hold up in court if it was found on private land.

I am opposed to the shed hunting law. In over 15 years of hard core shed hunting in my neck of the woods, I have yet to see anyone chasing deer and elk in an attempt to make the antlers fall off. If folks are concerned about ATV's and habitat issues, then a shed hunting law is not the answer. That is handled with travel plans with the land management agency.

Does anyone realize how big of a CLUSTER it is going to be on "opening" day of shed hunting season??? Fist fights over antlers? People "racing" to the best spots only to find someone already "stashed" the antlers? Talk about a law enforcement nightmare. This law will open another Pandora's box for DWR law enforcement.Talk about disturbance to wildlife with thousands of people hitting the hills all at once. This scenario is something I would be embarrassed to be a part of.

Anytime an activity has $$ involved, it seems like extra laws are passed. It started with bobcat trapping, and now it has moved to sheds.

If shed hunting seasons are proposed for other parts of Utah, anyone that enjoys this activity and does not agree with the season had damned well better get to the RAC's and speak out. Shed hunters should further demand that other activities in these areas face similar restrictions. What is fair is fair.

"If shed hunting seasons are proposed for other parts of Utah, anyone that enjoys this activity and does not agree with the season had damned well better get to the RAC's and speak out. Shed hunters should further demand that other activities in these areas face similar restrictions. What is fair is fair."

Very well said Bonepiler! That's the part of this new law that doesn't make any sense and really ticks me off! The rule as I understand it states that it's illegal to gather shed antlers from January 1st through May 31st. Do the idiots creating these laws realize that they only solved a very small portion of the harassment problem? You still have photographers, hikers, houndsman, ATVs, recreationalist and a half million other activities going on in the same areas that are going to hammer the deer while they are trying to winter. I don't agree with a region wide closure either. I can see smaller chunk of critical winter range but to just lump a HUGE chunk of the state into a closure to me is going stupid. The honest guy will suffer with this new law. As was mentioned before, we already have the laws to deal with our winter range problems. In my opinion something that would benefit wildlife more than anything would be to have our G&F grow a backbone and go give out a few tickets to those that are harassing the wildlife. It's already illegal!!! The problem is there are many variations of what each officer sees as "harassment". I have been told on multiple occasions that it's not harassment unless a person is purposely pursuing the animal in an attempt to harm it. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!! As the poor buck lies there taking his last breaths and some dip chit out lion hunting with dogs that love to chase deer pops the antlers off his head and says "I didn't mean to harass the animal." Just keep making more laws that will go unnoticed by the criminals and lets see if that helps. It's like beating your head against a brick wall!!!

NvrEnuf

I am not in support of shed hunting restrictions but Im sure the people who are breaking the existing laws are. Think about it, they will have that time or place to themselves while those that follow the laws go without. We do not need new laws as some of you have stated before, we need to enforce existing ones. That is the problem, we do not have enough division workers to patrol. I feel this is where we can help by reporting problems when we see them. I am not a nark, but you can bet I am going to turn into one because it is now effecting me. This problem dosen't effect me directly, but it does indirectly. I shed hunt in central and southern Utah. You can bet we will see more pressure in some of these areas where there is no restrictions, yet...... I am like one of the gentlemen that responded earlier, I have been shed hunting since the early 1990's and have only witnessed one time where mule deer were being harrassed on the Bookcliffs. I have not been back in the last five years. I feel part of the problem is the ATV users driving in restricted areas. Don't get me wrong, I love my Grizzly, but in stays on the roads. I have witnessed people abusing this and I will report it in the future. I guess I should have been doing this in the past. This topic is similar to gun laws, we do not need new laws, we need to enforce existing ones. The division should give a stronger pentalty for those that cause the problems, make an example of them. This is like the few idiots that poached bucks in southern Utah, hung the deer heads in the top of trees until they were bleeched and then pulled them off the mountain saying they found them dead. Well, look what that got those who obey the law. When we find a winter or lion kill, we get to leave it for the next guy who will take it home. I am sick and tired of people causing me to lose privileges. I hope I didn't bore you, but I could not keep quiet on this topic. This is the first time I have responded to anything on monstermuleys, but I read it all the time. My work has kept me busy latley and it was only a week ago when I heard about the restrictions up north. I hope we can do something about it.

Ok... I am Forkhorn and I am actually the originator of this post. Anyhow I lost my password so now I am Ungulate. Anyhow I am dissapointed that I wont be able to pick up anymore freshies in Northern Utah but I guess I always have Idaho and Wyoming that are close enough. I guess since the DNR made the actual dates February 1st do April 30th is a little relief.
What's official is official... Unless the DNR decides that they can withdraw this law next year. To be honest my biggest beef is with ATV riders.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom