I believe

shedcrazy

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-10 AT 04:00PM (MST)[p]That knowing your hunting ground and the habits of the elk that inhabit that ground is far more important than any other aspect of the hunt next to shooting skill.

I hunt an area that is not known for its elk at all. It is managed purely for Muleys and further more, I hunt a part of the unit which is especially poor on elk numbers.

Be this as it may, I cannot peel myself away from this area. I have hunted it so long and am so familiar with the country and the elks habits that i always find myself with game to pursue.

That being said, I am not successful every year. i have made poor shots, poor decisions, and have come into general bad luck. i have about a 33% success rate as a bowhunter but... rising.

The one single fact that I attribute to the bulk of the limited success I have is an intimate knowledge of the game I hunt and the ground I hunt them in.

I have recently relocated to another state and find myself struggling as an elk hunter. I have gotten into some game and had a few opportunities but of course, none like those I have in my hallowed ground.

In order to attain the success I have "back home" I am going to have to say goodbye to my hallowed ground there and build that here.

I do not have the time to achieve this intimacy with two different areas in two different states. It is decision time. My heart is heavy but my spirit is invigorated. I am excited for this new quest at 40 years old. I am simply starting a new chapter. Hopefully the teachings of the past will help me achieve success sooner. I guess some call it wisdom.

If any of you have bothered reading this to the end, I live in Fort Collins Colorado and would love to have a Hunting partner who shares the same passion for elk and the hunt as I do and may have found themselves "starting over" as I have.

Just got here myself. I'm going through the exact thing you are. You will find that the people of Colorado are extremely friendly and polite. However at your age, and mine (52) finding hunting pals is going to be tough. Good Luck. Lee

Yeah Lee, I have found that to be the case. I've had a couple good leads on huntin buddies but they are a bit younger than I am and have found a bit of a disconnect with them. I have one guy I'm trying to prime for the task but he always has something else to tend to. My boss is trying to learn to hunt but... i dunno.

One thing I do have and am very grateful for is my wife. She makes a damn fine, albeit, fare weather huntin buddy.

Which part of the state are you in?

Seems to me that, just as someone who is divorced, finding a partner is much harder when you're older than younger. I am 39 and my Dad has been my only hunting partner since I was 9. I have been on one hunt with someone else during that time. I often think about who will my hunting partner be....besides my kids (9, 11, and 12)? I think two of my kids will be hunters. But, in 5-10 years I may need to find another adult partner as my kids won't be able to do as much as I can due to sports and school and so forth. There aren't a whole lot of options and I assume it gets harder the older you get. This is a unique post and I wish you can find that person whom you can share the same drive and passion. Good luck.

Steve
T&A Inspector

Thanks, Wiszard. Yeah, starting over is interesting. I take for granted all the roots I had laid down back home.

My wife knows I'll be going it alone quite often and demands a stress test on my heart because she knows how hard I hit it. She was comfortable then because I had partners nearby but wants me to do this. Gettin older comes with its own share of challenges. My mind is still 23. I have a hard time grasping this whole age thing.

It's a unique post but I find myself in a unique situation. Something I've never had to deal with before.

Anyways, thanks for the reply!

I'm 67 and find myself hunting alone many times. Very often where there is unreliable cell service. The Wife and Son insisted that I start carrying a SPOT two years ago. That's certainly not an answer to Birthdays, but it seems to give them comfort.

This year will be my 31st Colorado/Wyoming trip. Always DIY. I always have a traveling/hunting partner, but we don't actually hunt together.

This year it will be my Son.

Before you die.....Take time to live

I have read the posts and nearly replyed to some but deep down inside I really like to hunt alone. I know it is more dangerous but if I am over three days past due my usual quardenants will be turned over to rescue personel.

I was in the same boat as you were about a year and a half ago. Leaving the area you've been hunting for years and finaly figured those elk out. All to move to a whole new state and start all over again.

I too moved to Colorado and am starting over trying to find new hunting and shed spots...harder than I thought. I am not use to the whole migrating of deer and elk. Where I was from in North Idaho the deer and elk pretty much stayed in the same area all year round because of our low elevation. Now they might move a ridge or two down to shed but still the same area. Here everyone talks about migration units? I stared to bowhunt here and found myself shed hunting more than actualy hunting because I just could not locate any deer to speak of. Now I only got out a half a dozen times or so because of work and little ones but I thought I would see more than I did. I guess I might be hunting in a migrating area...too low?.

Oddly enough I moved right up the road from you in Estes Park and will be elk hunting just west of you in unit 19 second gun season. That was the other thing that is different...the hunting seasons and drawing for a tag. Never had to do that back home. Back there you bought a tag otc. and started Oct 10 and hunted till end of Nov. Here you have 7 days..Huh? Guess it makes you hunt that much harder though. I picked unit 19 (even though people have said it's not that good anymore).. because it was kind of close to home and there is a lot of pretty country up there. Have you been hunting up there yet? Kind of sucks though I won't be able to scout much.. but at least I will be able to get out a week and do some camping.

If you can give me a shout back and give me some of your experences hunting here in Colorado so far..I did find two elk sheds im my yard this year though...that would have never happened back home. Good luck brother.

I'm several of hours south of you in Pueblo. Your going to find that until you hit 50 or so, that "disconnect" between age spreads is very real. My goals as a hunter in my 20's and 30's are light years from what they are now. Hardest thing about finding a hunting buddy is finding one that shares the same values as you. Some just want to get out of the house and drink around the campfire. In the other extreme you have those that take not much more than a day pack, sleep under a tarp at night in a cold camp eating Mountain House and run the elk down in their bedrooms. I don't have any grief with the first example if weapons aren't involved. But I don't hang with those types. In the second example, I'm no longer physcially capable of running with the wolves. I'm confidant that you're going to find someone especially as close to the elk action as you are. However I would certainly try and find out how he hunts, and if you can share a camp with him for 9 days. Best of luck, and as I write this, like a couple of your posters I'm still runnin alone. I don't prefer it, but living in this paradise called Colorado and not getting out and playing is the greater crime. Lee

Wow, great posts.

I can identify with much of what has been said, here.

I have put some more thought into this and have come to realize that the more experience you acquire, the more particular you become for a huntin buddy.

Yeah, My wife has required a satellite tracking device of some sort. I try and tell her I aint that damned old, yet.

Well, I have hunted 161 for a couple years now and have been in game both years. Couldnt close the deal, though. I was hospitalized last year during hunting season and didnt get out. (long story, pffft)

I do have a strong desire to rebuild and I will, huntin partner or not.

feel free to PM me and maybe we can do some scoutin this next year and figure these colorado elk out.

These are the most genuine posts I've read on here. These Colorado elk are a pain in the ass to figure out. Hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck

i found myself in a similar situation 3 years ago. and, like you, i moved to fort collins.

my story is different in that i am in my late 20's. i grew up in southern illinois - prime whitetail country. i hunted with my dad since i was 9 and we killed a healthy number of whitetails on grandpa's farm.

when i moved to co, i had no one to hunt with and only monstermuleys to help me learn how to hunt out west. i have gotten into elk and deer on public land, but have yet to release an arrow.

hunting without dad has been a challenge for me. at times i feel empty and lost without his guidance and at others times i feel empowerd and confident using what he taught me and moving at my own pace.

i have two little kiddos (2 and 6 months) at home that make devoting much time to hunting a challenge. they also make having a hunting partner hard because schedules rarely line up.

i would call my hunting situation less than ideal - limited time in the field, limited access to good hunting land close to home, limited commaraderie, and limited income.

however, i will continue to learn and hunt to the hardest of my abilities...and enjoy every second of it. even if it is less than ideal.

aside from that lil age thing, we have similar stories.

Lets compare notes.

I know kids hinder a lot of time in the field, especially at those ages. Hang in there. It does get way easier.

At least now you know that youre not alone and several of us share the same issues.

Look forward to chattin with you. Maybe some offseason scouting next summer!

Well here I go..

I moved here in Aug, of this year from Wa State, and i too had my honey holes. and now a whole new state and no where to begain. this was the first year i missed elk season, and i felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest. Thankfully i can still pick up the bow this year and head to Nebraska. i live in Greeley, and open to meeting Hunters like myself.

Good Luck

T

I missed last years Colorado hunt and it was devastating on a few levels.

I wish you the best of luck. PM me anytime and I would be happy to share some of my findings.

Colorado is a phenomenal state. Lots of elk and what a beautiful time of year it is right now, huh.

I'm leaving tonight in the wee hours. Hope to be in Hayden when the sun comes up. As it looks I've got a couple of days of too warm weather followed by three days of rain. I was hoping for snow. If this thread is still active when I get back late next week, I'll let you know how I did. Best of luck to everyone, especially the guys doing it by themselves. Lee

Well, another hunt is behind me. While I put nothing in the freezer, I did have a good hunt and learned some more about a particular unit. I am excited to hit it again next year. Things went well and we had a fine camp.

On another note, My boss (and friend) came with me this year. I always wondered how he may take to elk hunting. He's had a few bad years and I figured he may show less and less interest. Well, after this year, i think he's ready to hit it again. I think his passion for the hunt is rising.

I also brought another friend along from Texas. I think it hit him a little harder, coming from near sea level and all. I'm not sure if he'll be back but damnit, I had a good time with these fellas and it sure sparked me up.

I see that I've got something to build on, here and I'm damn happy about it.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom