I CAN'T CAN'T WAIT TILL THEY START SHUTTING RIVERS DOWN!!!

Are you posting this because I just happened to mention I like to fish in another post? IS THIS A PERSONAL ATTACK NOW? Thats it Im going to read the forum rules. Been meaning to do that anyhow. Is Slamdunk coming for my trout streams next. Come on elk WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

I must admit this kinda scares me a bit. Did you guys see the articles this summer where the otters were sending people to the hospital with severe injuries? I guess I support the shutting down of otter infested waters in the name of public safety!

I was savagely pursued by what appeared to be a rabid beaver up on the south fork one time, never been back.I reported it to the proper authorities and they actually laughed at me.

The Green and Provo Rivers have had otters for a long time. They are fun to watch if you can find them.

I’m sure many other streams as well, I’ve just seen them in those two places.

As Soon As They Find An Otter In A River Watch Out!

Be The Next Closure!

Or If They Don't?

Maybe We Can Re-Introduce Them & Then Close The Rivers Down!

otters in Montana​

They can also be mean little buggers as these gals found out!!

Jen Royce was attacked by otters in Montana

Photo by: Jen Royce

By: Alina Hauter
Posted at 5:03 PM, Aug 08, 2023

and last updated 5:50 PM, Aug 08, 2023
BILLINGS — August 2, 2023, was supposed to be a relaxing day on the river, a birthday celebration for Jen Royce with two of her best friends - but it ended with the trio literally fighting for their lives after they were attacked by river otters while floating the Jefferson River.

Royce still has a long recovery ahead of her. She declined to be interviewed by MTN News but shared her account on social media. She wrote the attack began just before dark near the Lewis & Clark Caverns on the river, when she noticed an otter behind her friend.
“I didn’t even have a chance to get the words 'there is an otter behind you,' out of me before it attacked her,” Royce wrote.
Within seconds, all three women were under attack.
“This thing was vicious and relentless. It bit my face in several places, both of my ears, my arms, my hands, my legs, my thighs and my ankle. My friends were bit on the hands and on their bottom. One friend’s thumb was shredded, and she had bite marks all over her body as well,” wrote Royce.

Jen Royce
Royce said that because they were in the middle of the river, she was unable to reach the bottom with her feet, making it tough to defend herself.
“We were helpless. I tried to kick it away, but I would just get attacked somewhere else. I tried to hold it back at one point by grabbing its arm to hold it away while trying to swim closer to shore,” Royce wrote.

Royce also responded to allegations by some online commenters that she and her friends somehow "invited" the attack by trying to interact with or take photos with the otters:
I want to make this VERY clear because what happened has been turned (from some “kind people” on the internet) into insane victim blaming all over social media. People who don’t know or care have made this an incident of us trying to take selfies with these creatures or like we were trying to get too close to them. We did NOT do that. We were in the middle of the river at a wide stretch, not near the shore, and we didn’t even know the otter/otters were there until we were attacked.
Royce also noted of she and her friends: "We all received rabies vaccines (but will still need more rounds) and those who weren’t current received their tetanus shot as well."
Jeff Ewelt, the director of ZooMontana in Billings, said of otters: “In the wild, they are pretty territorial animals, especially around their young and and especially if resources are scarce."
While Ewelt doesn’t know why the animals attacked, he said otters can be dangerous. Despite their small size, they can cause a lot of damage, especially in the water.
“You can only do so much to fight back when you’re in the water. Those teeth, I mean they’re carnivores, they’re built to eat crustaceans and fish, so powerful bite on them. They’ve got some pretty good claws as well but it’s really that mouth that you got to watch for,” Ewelt said.

Jen Royce
Royce and her friends know that all too well. She wrote that she thought she was going to die.

“With all my heart, I did not think I was not going to wake up if I closed my eyes and passed out. I made the choice, knowing the pain it would cause my friend to tell her I loved her and to ask her to watch over my kids,” wrote Royce.
After escaping the otters in what Royce said was a five-minute attack, she and her friends waited 53 minutes on the riverbank for help to arrive.
She has since undergone surgery and lost half of her right ear. Her ankles, legs, arm, and face were also badly punctured.

Jen Royce
But she’s thankful to be alive after the fight of her life.
“Fighting back is going to be the best option. Because they’re not going to give up on you, especially if you’re in the water, they’re going to try to eliminate the threat,” Ewelt said.
If you would like to help, you can donate to Royce's GoFundMe by clicking here. Stephanie Johnson was another victim of the otter attack and has a GoFundMe as well.
Otter attacks have been reported in 2021 on the Big Hole River, and in 2013 near West Yellowstone on the Madison River.

Holy crap.....it would damn sure be hard to fight one off while trying not to drown.....how big is a river otter??....20 lbs?

Holy crap.....it would damn sure be hard to fight one off while trying not to drown.....how big is a river otter??....20 lbs?

According to wiki…

An adult North American river otter can weigh between 5.0 and 14 kg (11.0 and 30.9 lb).

Been A Few Years Back!

We Were fishing Below Jackson Damn!

F'N Osprey Kept Smacking The Water!

I Caught A 6lb Cutthroat!

Big Enough To Feed The Whole Family For Dinner So I Kept It!

Nobody-else Around,So We Fished Downstream A Bit!

We Left Some Of Our Stuff Right Below The Damn Where We Started Fishing!

We Work Our Way Downstream A Ways & We See This CUTE Little F'N Otter Headed Upstream!

About 10 Minutes Later That SOB Came Back Down Past Us & He's Got A Nice Fish In His Mouth!

I Tell My Son:I Hope That Ain't My Fish!

Well!

It Sure As Hell Was!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom