I Could Just VOMIT!

PleaseDear

Long Time Member
I shot the biggest bull I have ever shot in my life.

No matter the weapon?bow/muzzy/rifle Nor the state I have hunted elk with in---Az., Ut., Wyo., Colo., or Idaho---in my hunting career.

I was bow hunting my very most favorite LE Elk unit in Utah.

Yes, I drew with only 5 ressy pts.

No- it is not in Hunting Fool top 5 or even top 10 units for that matter (thank the good lord).

I put right at 63.79 miles (GPS recorded) on my boots in 6 days of hunting divided by 2 weeks with the division week up chasing elk in Wyo. ( I arrowed a nice RP yearling cow tag) but still have my Any Elk tag to fill in Wyo.

Anyways.....

I past on arrowin? many 290-320 class P&Y bulls as I was after a bigger bull and had put the bino?s on bulls a class bigger.

I was all set-up behind a cedar tree and 2 Ponderosa Pine trees----playing the wait and let them come by me game.

This was at the 5.7 mile mark from my truck??no vehicle access all boot leather? so no quad queers to screw me up.

11-12 decent bulls past by and I was set on the bull that was hording 3 cows and a calf to move his little ?harem? past me.

I range each of the other bulls as they strolled by between 55.7 and 45.3 yards?..

My self-confident range for shooting is 40 yards or under. (Yes I shoot ?wheels?- a Reflex Highlander @ 60 lbs./100 grain Thunderhead three blade broad head with a release---no Loop?and a 5 pin Trophy Ridge V5 site).

Everything fell into place perfect other than the yardage to shoot being at minimum 10 yards out----to far.

I actually DVD filmed the elk up in the big Ponderosa pine patch before they started the move to deeper timber.

The 3 cows and 1 calf came past me ( 43.6 yards) first and the big ole bull stopped and bugled back over his shoulder-----I drew my bow and some how---- some way-- the cows caught my draw movement and blew out---causing the bull to jump first strep and trot the next couple steps------

I shot as he moved away from me?gradual uphill angle.

Then, came 3 more bulls up behind him, that I was unaware of, after I took my shot.

Now they are all bunched up looking back down at me?..total confusion for sure??

My big bull certainly stands out----but I can not see any blood nor my arrow?????

They move off and I am uncertain??to far a shot???? Too much movement by the bull away and up from me???? To much of a bull body off angle????

Anyways-----I got hooked up with these 2 guys that are big time Whitetail buck hunters.

1 is from Indiana and the other fellow is from Alabama.

They came over to me (No--- they did not have the LE bow bull tag too) and we started looking for blood and my arrow.

They decided to go back to my shot position and start from scratch there.

These two guys are unbelievable when it comes to tracking by blood/hoof tracks.

They found a few drops of blood and taught me a thing or two about tracking.

They used about a 5ft walking stick and paced the bull?s stride with what little blood there was.

Finally the drop here and a drop there played out to no blood nor arrow found at all after about 125 yards from the first drops of blood.

I kept after it with those upside down ?U'-shaped swings from 20 yards then 30 yards then 50 yards and so on-----out to 1 mile basically from the barely visible blood drops and my bulls stride/ hoof print that the Indiana/Alabama whitetail hunters had been tracking.

After about 2 ? hours of this and out to about 1 mile, it was decided it was not a vital or body hit?..and we started the long trek off the mountain.

I told them that my tag was good for 1 elk------and that I felt if I drew blood-----but did not find that bull-------my hunt was over???

SUCKS TO BE ME.

A special thanks to Dave---?Hoosier Daddy? and Derrick---?Roll Tide??.I sure learned a lot from you 2 guys and am very thankful to you both.

I am off to Wyo. bright and early for my Wyo Buff hunt---talk about lack of bow shooting confidence!

Robb

Sorry to hear that PleaseDear
Glad there are people out there that Man-Up & hang the Hunt after this happens!
Hope somebody Finds the Bull so you can at least recover the Rack!
Sad Deal for sure!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Tats a bum deal Robb, Sorry you dint find him. Good luck on the buff. I will be heading for elk on the 7th and hope my dry run ends this year with a kill.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

>Sorry to hear that PleaseDear
>Glad there are people out there
>that Man-Up & hang the
>Hunt after this happens!
>Hope somebody Finds the Bull so
>you can at least recover
>the Rack!
>Sad Deal for sure!
>
>
>I love not acting my age,
>
>Damn I love my NASCAR race,
>
>And Hell yes I love my
>Truck!

+1

As always its a pleasure to hunt witn my good buddy Robb!!!! Hell of a hunter!!!
---& i'm the one that learns :)
---& I hope I can cover the ground that you do when I grow up!!!

I Had a Blast!!! Thanks!!!

Good Luck in WYO!!!!

Sorry you did not recover your bull. Sounds like a great hunt and like you learned a few things and met a couple great hunters also.

Thats to bad you didn't recover the elk. That must be the same Dave that hunted goats up on Willard Peak?

Good luck in WY. Hope smile on your face with the bison overshadows the disapointmnt of losing the elk...Everyone messes up but have to move on and you did right!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom