I got bugs

broadfork

about a month ago I was on bowsite.com, and there was an article about bugs in mounts. It freaked me out, so I checked my mounts no bugs, I sprayed them with bug spray just to be sure. yesterday I was sitting on my couch and looked at my bear and saw something on it's face. I went up to it and saw a carpet beetle. I'm freaked out, an exteminator is coming tomorrow, and I vacummed my bear and sprayed it with bug spray.
I just hope I caught the first one in the act of nest searching.

what would you do?

Bugs usually don't eat mounts, unless there is some remaining meat or something attract them. Don't get me wrong, you can get them regardless, but usually there is a reason. Case in point...I had several mulie mounts, and one got bugs. None of the others got them. I found later that the skullplate was never boiled off prior to mounting. The bugs keyed in on him for that reason.

good luck.

You need protex, its a spray . it protects mounts for up to ten years. Its sold at the taxi supply company. this stuff is a must.. they will not be back. If you need more info then send me a p.m. , thanks shawn

cataximan
Sent you a PM.
My worst nightmare just came true, 3 full size body mounts have bugs. I have 30 more mounts. I'm just freaking out.
Regards Buff

Google "Miller Trophy Room." They specialize in fumigating taxidermy trophies.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-09 AT 11:50AM (MST)[p]THANKS cataximan
For the info you gave me. It's people like you that make M&M great.
4000fps
Have you checked with that Miller Trophy Room? They charge so much that you might as well get new mounts.

Regards Buff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom