I had a great 2014 hunting season!

Aaronjhanson

Hey Guys, I had a fantastic season this year. It went by too fast and it was lots of fun. I learned more stuff about elk hunting. I had a chance to have both my kids out with me during the archery opening weekend. My Daughter is 7 and we had a blast, we actually got to chase some elk during the archery season with a cow tag. Just could not get close enough for a shot. Went out with my 9 year old son, didn't see a thing. It was still great to have the kids with, even though we did not harvest anything.
I went out again in mid to late September; I had a buck tag to fill as well as a cow tag . I found a nice deer to stalk by accident. I originally though he was a forked horned buck, bigger than normal, so I decided to give it a try. Bumped him a few times, then I was able to get within 30 yards and sent an arrow through him, double lung shot.

8143deer.jpg

Now imagine my surprise when I followed the blood trail and I find him dead and he is the largest 4x4 I have shot. I don't know why I thought it was a forkey. I make it a point not to obsess over the horns. I guess I am glad, because it was not nervous,just really relaxed. I had a Frisbee sized window to shoot through and I made it count.

so no archery cow elk. I decided to call my archery season good, and left a week before the season ended.

10-11-2014
First time hunting this season , or using a rifle in Colorado. I trespass hunt on a property that has some massive bulls on it. I was on a big 6x6 bull. I would guess 350 class or more. I was up in the foot hills and he was in the drainage. I had the cross hairs on him at 75 yards. However it was an obstructive view. I had to shoot through pine bows, so I decided to wait for him to move toward a open spot in the trees. I was set up and ready for him to cross the spot, when another hunter ( my father in law )decides he can take a 400 + yard shot at this big bull. I was 2 seconds away from a trophy bull, and I'll leave it at that.
Fast forward to Tuesday afternoon. Have not seen any elk on the property. Our tags are either sex rifle tags. A small calf come running up the prairie in front of us and stops. I needed to leave the next morning so I was going to put some meat in the freezer. As I got ready to shoot, the father in law goes off about me not shooting that calf, that how terrible it would be. So I decide not to shoot it. I was hopping mad; I wanted meat for the freezer. I told him we need to go check another spot before I decide I'm going to shoot this calf.
We get in my truck, father in law was driving. We head about a mile down the trail to the back of the property. There was a small herd of elk with a bull running through the meadow. I got out of the truck and went after them for a shot. I didn't have time to range the bull. I fired the first shot, I thought I had missed. Because he kept on going. Quickly fired a second shot, the rifle was not in my shoulder good ( Tikka T3 lite 300 win mag) the scope smashed me in the face, almost broke my glasses and cut me up a bit. I was seeing stars for a second or two. When I opened my eyes all the elk were gone. I could not believe it. I had missed both shots off shooting sticks. After i regain my composure, I start walking off to where I last thought they were. It was 6:40 PM and we were loosing light fast. I had my eyes closed so I took my eye off the spot I last saw the bull. After some time, to my surprise I found the bull. The ground was not flat, he fell over after the second shot. He was on a swell in the ground and he fell behind it. However I could not tell that from where I was, and that was about 250 to 300 yards away. My first shot was 6? behind the should and about 4 inches up from the bottom of him. He was dead walking. The second shot destroyed his right front shoulder. Wish I would not have done that.He is not the monster I had in my sights opening day However, He is a nice 5x5 best to date. Most memorable too. First time I have ever had that rifle bite me before. I have 201 lbs of quartered meat at the processors .. I'm a happy camper.. I can't wait till next year.

7090elk.jpg

Come follow me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AaronJHansonCustomKnives

Aaron, great job man! Thanks for posting your story and pictures. I can tell you're still excited about it as I read your post. Congratulations!

Great season for sure.
You might need a different hunting partner(FIL) or maybe just take the kids and no one else.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom