I have a great idea

mulecreek

Very Active Member
I have a great idea

Wouldn?t it be great if Wyoming changed the way they allocate tags? Just think they could start with more archery only tags. Then add muzzy only tags. Then possibly crossbow only tags. Then we could argue about which weapon should get to go first. Then about what order the rest of the seasons should be in. Then we could argue about how long the vertical archery season should be, and how long the horizontal archery season should be, and the muzzy season and the rifle season. We could argue about which one of us wounds more game. Then we could argue about if any of the seasons should be before the rut, during the rut or after the rut. Which weapon should be during the rut? Which weapon should be after the rut? We could argue about how long into the winter we should hunt animals.

When we get tired of arguing amongst ourselves or we didn't get a 30? buck, a 400? bull or an 84? antelope buck we could turn our frustrations towards the Game and Fish. We could say they are corrupt, stupid, over educated, lazy, incompetent, greedy, spend too much time behind a desk, not enough time in the field, they don't know how to count, they over estimate or they under estimate. Just to name a few of the things we could say. We could complain that they don't do enough to stop illegal use of ATV?s. Or that they are driving kids away from the sport. Hey that gives me another idea for a special season. We could request that the state develops a Wildlife Board and a RAC (what ever that is). That would give me two more groups to blame for not getting to hunt red desert every year or not getting Wyoming Peak all to myself or not killing the Spider Bulls brother. The added benefit of all these extra groups and tag allocations would be that it would draw money away from managing game and divert it to managing the happiness of hunters. But then the state could just increase tag fees, that would also give us one more thing to complain about. It's a win-win.

After complaining about people we could move the argument over to animals. We could argue that the State is not doing enough to kill predators. We could come up with the idea to re-introduce DDT, or 1080(whatever that is) or breed Parvo infected coyotes and introduce them into the wild population. This is an actual idea presented in the Mule Deer forum.
Before you know it we will have all the problems sorted out and we will be just like Utah. That would be great because no one seems to have any complaints about how Utah manages game or hunting. Just think each individual group would have its own special allocation of tags and season dates. Even though each of these groups can already hunt the state and even non-residents can draw a tag every year if they put some thought into it. That's not the important part. The important part is I want what is best for me at this given moment.

The point of my long winded, full of sarcasm, rant is be careful what we wish for. Wyoming is an excellent hunting state. The G&F does a good job of managing game. They want the same things all hunters want. That is because they are made up of us. Hunters and fishermen that want the animals to thrive and for the great hunting in Wyoming to continue into the future. We need to make sure they are not using their limited resources to manage hunter happiness but rather using it to manage the game we all love to hunt.

RE: I have a great idea

Yep, Wyoming should just adopt Utah's wildlife management model.

Been hunting Wyoming for 27 years.Seen a few changes and got used to them.Please don't change a thing If you don't like the way things are in Wyoming,go hunt someplace else.
I'm with you,Wyoming is a great place to hunt !

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-10 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]Actually the way WGF manages the deer in regions G and H sucks, allowing thousands of rifle hunters on sept 15 up in the open high country, no other state does that, and for good reason. High-tec rifles that shoot tight groups at unheard of yardages, rangefinders, amazingly clear optics and other equipment, plus unlimited resident tags and boatloads of nonresidents, this adds up to poor quality hunting in areas where the hunting was at one time really spectacular. WGF should be ashamed at how they manage those areas. If quality animals and hunting experences are to be maintained, you cant just act like nothing ever changes, Its not 1950 anymore.

Couldn't agree more MuleCreek.

Actually Piper, the number of resident deer hunters statewide in Wyoming has dramatically DECREASED since the all-time high in the early '80s (when the hunting was presumably truley spectacular.) What has remained steady is the non-resident numbers, dramatically changing the ratio of resident to non-residents. Coupled with the fact that most residents tend to hunt deer reasonably close to home, your assertion that unlimited resident hunters has totally ruined regions G and H just doesn't hold water.

I won't argue that technology and money hasn't taken the place of hunting skill and hard work, but I sure don't hold the WGFD responsible for that. The blame for this should be placed on the hunting public where it belongs.

I don't really know what you mean by placing blame on the hunting public? if you let them use any weapon anytime or whatever, they will do it, hunters arent going to go by self imposed standards, we need laws and rules to go by. I can tell you the highcountry in G and H is pounded by hunters now more that it has ever been, I don't care how many hunters there were at one time.Not only that, there are far less deer than in the 80s. I know this from personal experence, not some fantasy scenario the Game and fish comes up with. Its not 1980 any more, WGF needs to start managing for the conditions we face now,and in the future-lots of hightec hardcore hunters and a lot less deer. Of couse this is just my opinion, who knows, maybe you think the deer hunting is just fine the way it is?

Funny thing is, I already have. I moved for work. I was only suppose to be here for a month but I am going on 3 months now. Looks like I lost my residency. I see a much more expensive general elk tag in my future for 2011. I am trying to get back to Wyo asap.

I really feel that the WY G&F does a great job managing the game, could they do better...sure. But all in all I wouldn't change a thing. I don't think there is a state out there that better balances opportunity and quality. WY has quality hunts for all species and not all are impossible tags to draw. There are plenty of B&C animals that come out of general or easy to draw areas for residents every year. Just because there isnt a special season for every weapon out there and you cant hunt the red desert or other hard to draw over rated areas all the time doesnt meen there isnt great hunting to be had every year. I honestly believe if I had more time, I could kill an 78" + antelope, a 310" + bull and a 160"+ deer every year with the chance of harvesting something better on occasion. What more could you really ask for. I LOVE Wyoming just the way it is, except I wish there were fewer people!

+1 Wyo

Wyoming is a great state to hunt and there is always a good harvest yearly.

mulecreek----I think it is 6 months to be a new resident so you should be legal and safe as a ressy in Wyo if you do not get stuck in Utardville for 3 more months-------

Robb

It obvious that those of you that think everything is good with the high country Wyoming deer hunt are either taking prozac, or you never have experenced good high country deer hunting. (hopefully the latter) The lack of quality is the reason so many residents have quit deer hunting and young people dont get into it, I have already given up on Wyoming making any positive changes, so many people don't know what their missing, the generations have passed. I would like to see the state start managing deer on a herd by herd basis, like Colorado does. It made a world of difference in Colorado once they finially broke down and started really managing deer, Ill bet the residents in that state would never go back. Idaho basicly manages deer the same way as Wyoming does, and its really too bad, that state used to have some great hunting also.

Piper:

I think herd management and the drawing process are two separate issues. I think the current LE drawing process is second to none! The herd management...now that is a different story. I live in the east half of the state and through hard work have found a couple of great areas for deer hunting. That being said, I would like to see the early high country muley hunts made a LE. The potential is incredible.

Wyo is pretty good, I guess...
Too many words by too many voices is what puts the jeapordy on one particular way of keeping it fair and, for the most part, not ridiculuosly political, unless there is a big landowner involved in an issue....
Get the drift?...

Rump

Utah400elk,

You hit the nail on the head. The point of this post was to demonstrate that too many of the complaints about hunting in the west revolve around our personal satisfaction of our last hunt. I agree with Piper and nontypical, the state should look at herd management changes in western wyo. I don't claim to have the answer, but there is no shortage of options. Changing opening dates, limiting tags, etc., all have merit. I didn't get to Wyo until 1997 so I can't say much about herd differences since the 80's. I can say that I certainly see more bucks now than i did in the late 90's. I think this has more to do with me getting better as a hunter than anything. I had no idea what I was doing when i started hunting big game. My dad was a bird hunter so I had a big learning curve. I didn't get a chance to hunt deer this year but I will say that I saw more bucks during the elk hunt this year than I have in the last 10 years.

The problem I have with this rediculous petition that is making the rounds and far too many complaints that seem to crop up on MM is that they are not for the benefit of the game herds but rather for a short term gain of a faction of hunters. Look at all the various seasons, weapon choices, point schemes, tag lotteries, game management groups, etc, that Utah has and ask yourself if it appears hunting has gotten better in Utah. These changes don't make hunting better.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom