I knew it

Wow! He must of really liked the horses, and definitely didn't weigh out risk vs reward. Looks like he will be sentenced February 21.

Well i am sour with this guy because well before his retirement ran into him on the mountain. forest ranger truck/trailer/horses/saddles and etc.... Just simply asked him on the trail if he is hunting or being a ranger. I asked cause he had his daughter which also shot a buck. It was clearly a hunting trip

I was younger at the time. Wasn't sure if it was legal of him to do that but i personally believe its wrong

Plus the there is several other stories to tell but not mine to share

People often talk about government waste, but as a federal employee it has been my observation that the federal government runs a tight ship when it comes to the handling of property and funds. This does not surprise me all that much. It sounds like this guy dug himself into a deep hole by lying and trying to cover things up.

A 5 day federal trial over a horse?
Also, how do you retire at 54?
Must be a “special” horse. Just sayin…mh
Had to take a hit to his retirement as his MRA is 57 years. He could have fallen under LEO status possibly, but not likely. That's a 20 year retirement.

Had to take a hit to his retirement as his MRA is 57 years. He could have fallen under LEO status possibly, but not likely. That's a 20 year retirement.

Well I do know he runs some horse training program now so im sure that brings in a income

Firefighters and LEO have mandatory retirement age of 57 and you can retire with 20 years at 50 years old or retire before 50 with 25 years.

Well i am sour with this guy because well before his retirement ran into him on the mountain. forest ranger truck/trailer/horses/saddles and etc.... Just simply asked him on the trail if he is hunting or being a ranger. I asked cause he had his daughter which also shot a buck. It was clearly a hunting trip

I was younger at the time. Wasn't sure if it was legal of him to do that but i personally believe its wrong

Plus the there is several other stories to tell but not mine to share
Sounds like he had a tendency to use government property for personal use. Good for you for calling him out on it.

"followed by a more significant, 45-day suspension in 2019. There was little detail about the 2019 suspension provided at trial, but it apparently stemmed from an allegation that Ostrom had misused government property."

"As for the other property he was alleged to have kept, Ostrom said he didn’t have it or, in the case of the ammo, hadn’t realized he needed to return it."

"they seized a mare they believed to be Roany, plus other pieces of government property: over 10,000 rounds of ammunition, Forest Service saddle pads and blankets, horse equipment with federal logos, two trailers with government plates and two former Forest Service mules."

WTF!?!?. First of all, how do you think that you don't need to return 10,000 rounds of government issued ammo. Secondly, what do you need 10,000 rounds of ammo for? Are the back woods crawling with that may people that need to be shot?

Story says Ostrom didn't like his second boss. Probably because he held Ostrom accountable and called Ostrom out on things that were wrong.:unsure:

Will be interesting to see what the judge comes up with. My guess is 6 months unsupervised probation and a small fine

Secondly, what do you need 10,000 rounds of ammo for?

Screenshot_20231214_202005_Chrome.jpg

And What Did the Government Spend For That Probation & Small Fine?
Well he was found guilty so the judge should be looking at those guilty counts to come up with his sentence. But I think am no legal expert I still think the judge will go light. Come February we will see

This A-hole is definitely a sociopath as lately he's been pretty active on social media actin' like nothings wrong. Hopefully Ostrom will be put in a cell with someone who he's already reamed up the azz. Payback time.

I wonder if the Fed's will take in a review of all the bogus tickets this azzhole has written and exonerate/compensate his 'victims'?

And What Did the Government Spend For That Probation & Small Fine?
It was time and money well spent in my opinion. Let’s say some of that ammo was used to kill or injure somebody. Government gonna tell the survivors it wasn‘t worth the time and effort to recover 10,000 rounds of ammo stolen by a federal employee? That’s just not going to fly.

Guess I Could'of Asked This:

How Many Years Did They Let This BS Go On Knowingly Knowing What He's Been Doing Forever?

It was time and money well spent in my opinion. Let’s say some of that ammo was used to kill or injure somebody. Government gonna tell the survivors it wasn‘t worth the time and effort to recover 10,000 rounds of ammo stolen by a federal employee? That’s just not going to fly.

How Many Years Did They Let This BS Go On Knowingly Knowing What He's Been Doing Forever?

You read the article? If I recall back in the mid or late 90's he had enclosed trailers on his proptery. As far as being a not so good forest ranger has been since day one. Heard mutiple stories but have no proof cause it's all 2nd hand info.

Will be interesting. I see the judge is retiring. Not sure when her final day is as a judge.

Great question. It scares me to think about all the BS this guy pulled. Anybody that knowingly allowed this should be held accountable, but it is not clear if there was anyone else that knowingly allowed this to happen. It sounds like he was busted because his supervisor and perhaps others called him out. So good on them.

the 2 to 3 previous FS supervisors knew it. It took the courage of the current one to nail his ass plus I think Forest Ranger Travis Haworth put enough pressure on his superiors to take action against Ostrom. Not sooo different from the Game and Fish that will look the other way on a disgraced game warden, then allow him to retire with fully benny's vs. getting canned. The same warden now has the Game and Fish knee deep in a a multi million dollar lawsuit and guess what, the State of Wyoming is covering his attorney bills and will pay out any damages

You read the article? If I recall back in the mid or late 90's he had enclosed trailers on his proptery. As far as being a not so good forest ranger has been since day one. Heard mutiple stories but have no proof cause it's all 2nd hand info.

Will be interesting. I see the judge is retiring. Not sure when her final day is as a judge.
Most federal district judges don’t retire outright. They become senior judges that just hear limited cases. Unfortunately, Judge Malloy in Montana does that despite his retirement. This judge will likely handle the sentencing in this case. Just sayin…mh

Full retirement for Federal LEOS is 25 years, no age requirement. You can start at 22 and retire at 47!

I’m glad the US Attorney’s Office is prosecuting these cases and not drug cases!

Full retirement for Federal LEOS is 25 years, no age requirement. You can start at 22 and retire at 47!

I’m glad the US Attorney’s Office is prosecuting these cases and not drug cases!
Pretty sure they can go out with full retirement with 20 years. This clown was over 20 years of service and over age 50, was 3 years from mandatory retirement (57).

Most federal district judges don’t retire outright. They become senior judges that just hear limited cases. Unfortunately, Judge Malloy in Montana does that despite his retirement. This judge will likely handle the sentencing in this case. Just sayin…mh
David
I know we have talked hunt'n and fish'n a lot, but weren't you a judge in your previous life?
I would put a lot of credit in what your thoughts are on this case.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom