I need a bow

J

Jake_Sorensen

I posted this in another forum but nobody answered me so I'll post it here. Ok here is the deal I'm interested in getting started in bow hunting, but I need a bow, I don't know anything about good bows or bad bows I don't know where to look and I don't want to get ripped off. Here is the other part, I just got married a few months ago and my wife doesen't really want me to bow hunt for some reason or another, I don't know the womans thinking, cause she doesen't have any problems with my rifle or muzzleloader hunting. okay so here is what I want and I need some suggestions, I need a cheap(price) but good bow (new or used) like I said I just got married an money is tight I just want a cheap bow and if I like bow hunting I will get a better one, I looked on ebay and there were some cheap bows for sale I just don't know what is good and not and what to look for in a bow and what kind of accessories I will need, so if any of you know of a good place to go to get a cheap decent bow or if anyone is saleing theirs please let me know, and let me know what else to look for and what all I will need. Thanks!

Jake

Jake,

If you're looking for a forgiving "finger" bow, lemme know. I just picked up a Reflex Caribou but gotta sell it (target panic is getting real bad).

Hank in Colorado

Okay now I'm starting to feel really dumb what different type of bows are there? what exactly is a "finger" bow, an how much are you looking to sale it for?

When I say "finger bow", I just mean that it's long (@ 45" or so). Won't pinch when you draw using fingers as opposed to a release. Like I said, it's very forgiving. Price is somewhat negotiable since I'm getting out of the game. Everything goes with it (arrows, sights, quiver, broadheads, extras). It all has to go. Give me a call this evening (after 4pm mountain time) and we can talk about it if you like. (719) 591-6424

Hank

Jake, I think it is essential for a new archer such as yourself to find a proshop in your area. Utilizing a proshop will allow you to try different makes and models of bows, and they will ensure that it gets set up properly, and you start out shooting with the proper form. Where are you from? Maybe someone can recommend a shop in your area.

Jake, I agree with Bowhunterm... find a bow shop in your area and they can dial you in. Most manufactures make a entry level packages.. I started on a PSE and now shoot Bowtech.. I was like you did not want to break the bank wanted to see if I would like it... I LOVE IT.... you see more game better quality and the challege of getting within in 40 yards is awsome.. not to mention when you get a deer or elk @ 15 to 20 yards... what a rush.... you will be hooked....

Find a bow that your interested in and then come back here with all the details (Make, year, and the different settings ie... draw lengths and poundage)There are a lot of guys/gals on this forum that are very knowledgeable when it comes to archery and they are all really good at sharing their knowledge.
Hoyt, Matthews, PSE, and AR are all great bows.

4_Plesur

Jake if I'm not mistaken your from UT right? If I were you I would go to Sportsman's archery at 9352 S 670 W in Sandy. I started bowhunting in '98, they have helped me a ton. Personally I would stay away from Sportsman's Warehouse. Go and get measured on your draw length and all that jazz before you start lookinf for a new or used bow. You need to know what you're looking for. If you need someone to hunt with let me know. I'm around your age and all of my friends muzzleload, as well as I, but none of them bowhunt and I'm doing dedicated hunter so I can do both. I shot a deer this year with my smokepole, which was freakin awesome, but there is nothing like smakin one with a bow. I've only killed one with my both and he was kind of a smaller buck. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks for the advice from everyone and Joemama just answered my question that I was going to ask if sportsmans warehouse, was a good place to get a bow at or not(my brother inlaw just started bow hunting and likes it and he had got his bow at sportsmans warehouse and suggested I go there), cause I went and looked there last night and found a bow I wanted that was in my price range (A PSE that was $200) So Today I stopped at Galyans to see what they had and was looking at a Browning (I don't remember which one I think it was) and a PSE Deer Hunter, when somebody else came up to look at the bows and saw and me looking at the Browning and told me it was to small for me and that I should get the PSE Nova, so I looked at it and I like how it felt and everything, is this a decent bow? I probably won't get it from Galyans but this one seemed nice and I liked it and it was in my price range also. Hey Joemama I might need some people go bow hunting with and I'm going to do the dedicated hunter program so I can do rifle and bow to. Does anyone know if Sportmans Archery has PSE bows? And are the PSE's any good cause they pretty low priced it seemed.

Thanks

Jake

Oh ya I forgot to ask what is a good weight for Deer, Elk and possibly bear?

Not that Sportsman's Warehouse is a bad place but Sportsman's Archery, for me, has been way more service oriented. I feel that they no there stuf better than SW. The Nova is a good bow, and yes SA does sell PSE. An old aquaitence works there and only shoots PSE's. I personally shoot a Hoyt and I love it. I also like the hoyt because they are from UT and it doesn't hurt to support locals.

As for Bow wieght a lot of that depends on weight of arrow and broadhead, also length plays a factor. I'm personally shooting to light for elk, or at least that is my ethical thought. SA will help you with all of that. I'm shooting light and fast but feel that I need to change the diameter and thickness of arrow so I can start chasing elk with my crazy sticks.

thanks for the info I will stop at sportsmans on my way home. what other places are good around salt lake to take a peak at?

ANother good place is in Provo called Jake's archery, they claim to have the largest selection of bows east of the Mississippi. I don't know if thats true. I know how to get there but don't know the exact directions.

Hey if you are serious about bowhunting , save up and buy a good one.I would go for a matthews or parker. I'm a cheapie also, but learned . I now use a parker and very happy.

Jakes Archery in Orem has always been very helpful. I got my PSE there and two of my buddies both bought PSE bows the year before me. Last year they both shot elk with them. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom