I need a cape!

canyoncrosser

I shot a good bull in 2015 and love my mount but it was lost to moths just now. We even sprayed it when it came home to me!
Anyways the hair is now slipping and it's gonna be toast. It was a large bodied 350 type bull with a Sept cape and I'm hoping to find another to redo this mount as it's one of my favorites.

Hope someone can help...

I would first check with the Taxidermist that did your mount. He might get one in that the hunter just wants a euro mount. If not, find a taxidermist in the area you killed him to see if they have any capes, or you might get lucky on here

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Are you looking for a tanned cape, fresh salted, fresh frozen? Where are you located?

Are you looking to purchase, or hoping someone might have one there willing part with?

I'm sure I could find one for you, not sure I can find a free one. Just shoot me a pm with some details and I'll see what I can find.

Ive got one in the freezer wet tanned ready to mount! It's of a late bull 1st of Nov.
37205hornkiller.jpg

My son has a tanned and frozen cape he might part with. PM me with an offer and I will check with him. It's an early September cape off an old bull.

LAST EDITED ON May-06-18 AT 11:02PM (MST)[p]I'm in California, im looking for a cape my taxidermist can put on immediately, im willing to pay market value. Since I'm not a taxidermist my biggest concern would be him vouching for the cape quality and it's size relative to the form he is on already since he's a busy guy as well I'm hoping to spearhead this search so I can get him back on the wall ASAP and get the moths away from my other mounts

I do not have a cape,but have a friend that might . I'll ask him. I would love to see your bull if it's not to much trouble?

I've got a frozen cape off of a 2017 September Utah bull that I am willing to part with. Make me an offer and I'll see if we can come to terms. I can send you field pictures of the bull too.

Unfortunately I don't have a cape for you.

I would like to hear more about this moth situation though. Was the mount in a cabin, garage, or storage? What exactly led to this? I'm just trying to avoid this happening to my own mounts.

Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-18 AT 01:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-07-18 AT 01:12?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-07-18 AT 01:10?PM (MST)

As far as I am concerned everyone needs to know about this moth situation! I live in Fresno California and have had a very good taxidermist for all my years of hunting.
In 2016 When my bull was finished, He had given me back two whitetails That he had sprayed with a repellent that sort of smelled like Pine-Sol. He told me stories of several big hunters with large collections in our area that had lost mounts due to these moths.
So my office smells a little bit like Pine-Sol now and if I hadn't have seen one bug on the wall and put a desk under the bull with white paper on it I wouldn't have noticed the hair than hair that had fallen off the elk.
If I touch the bulls cape hair comes off in my hand and I'm very lucky that so far it has not gotten to any other animals .
I have a spray bottle now of this stuff that kills them but I am going to have to mitigate them over a 15 day period With three spray sessions to kill the larva and adults.

I don't know if it's regional but this can destroy your room if you were not paying attention! I don't know how to post pics but if someone wants to post them for me give me the email address and I'll send you a photo.
As a side note he said my bull had a 38 inch cape which is on the large end I'm told.

I have two capes. Both came from 350 bulls. Both end of September. Tanned and ready to mount, one real light colored open country bull, one darker big timber bull. Light bull has very large bases.
PM for details or Pictures.

You should take a couple of insect specimens to your local extension entomologist. It would be very interesting to hear exactly what they are.

Hasbean

LAST EDITED ON May-11-18 AT 01:06PM (MST)[p]This is the moth I have seen on taxidermy work. They are called webbing clothes moth. They are very hard to eliminate because the little suckers lay eggs where you can't see them. When they hatch, the larvae do the damage. I have found an insecticide called Triazicide, that kills them, doesn't stain and leaves no lingering odor. You must use a respirator when spraying a mount. Once the mount is sprayed, I have seen no further issues.

The moths are about 1/4" long.

canyoncrosser your mount must have been truly infested with them with the damage you are experiencing. Didn't you notice them flying around?

66385webbingclothesmoth.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-11-18 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]4 or 5 is the total I have seen since this all has began. Again I don't have any patches of skin showing on my mout, in fact you would never know it was wrong. But if I touch the mount hair will come off, especially in the mane and lower area.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom