I need a new scope

K

krkrueger

LAST EDITED ON May-12-08 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]I know the question has been asked a lot, but I need a new scope for my 8400 Kimber Montana 300 WM. I going on my first elk hunt in Wyoming this year.

I would like feedback on what power and if I should go with 42mm, 44mm, 50mm or 56mm. Also if you have seen some work better/worse in differnt types of weather.

I would like to stay under a $1000.

Any and all feedback would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

Forget the two larger sizes, I would go with and have the 42mm scopes.
Can't go wrong with either of these great scopes:
ZEISS, LEUPOLD, NIKON (MONARCH). The best way is to go to a store that carries them all, and SEE WHICH ONE IS BEST SUITED TO YOUR EYES.

Good luck,
Brian

I personally really like the Leupold VX series. My last 3 scopes have been VXIII's in 3.5-10. I have no experience with others since I have been so happy with my Leupold's.
Have fun choosing!

Nikon Monarch "X" 4x14 50mm Illum B&C $1029.00
ITS THE HOTTEST THING OUT THEIR...And I can't find one cheaper
went to Cabelas Reno to buy...what a disappoitment! every other scope spot was empty and did not even stock that one!
Will look on line later then just end up dishing it out to Cabelas any way!
rack

Another vote for the Leupold VXIII. I have this in 4.5x14 in 42 mm, with the B&C Reticle. It is some of the best money I have spent, and one of my best pieces of gear I have ever owned.

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

$1000.00?????Geeze thats alot to play with . I want a new scope for my Parker Hale .270 but was more along the line of $300.00.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-08 AT 02:32PM (MST)[p]If it were me, i'd get a night force! CANNOT BE BEAT! I have one and love it! No guess work! Easy to sight in, check out there web site. They also have luminated crosshairs if you want it. LEGAL to use during any big game hunt!www.nightforceoptics.com

BUILT FOR PROFESSIONALS
SO YOU CAN SHOOT LIKE ONE

Military & law enforcement
Long-range hunting

483751382c16e97e.jpg

5.5-22 x 50 NXS
Originally developed for the U.S. military?s extreme long range shooting and hard target interdiction, both 5.5-22 Nightforce models provide a broad magnification range, four inches of eye relief and 100 MOA of elevation travel. These characteristics have proven highly appropriate for the .50 BMG, allowing shooters to accurately reach to 2000 yards and beyond. It retains a slim profile and is easily adaptable to a wide range of mounting systems. The superb resolution at high magnification also opens an entirely new world of extended range for the accomplished marksman.

?I purchased a Nightforce
5.5-22 x 56 in 2001. I used it to put 12,500 shots through two .50 BMGs.
I fired another 4000 shots with it on an AR10. Then, I mounted it on a 14.5/114mm Russian (570 gr. of powder propelling a 1000 gr. bullet at 3300 fps) and fired 970 rounds. Most scopes break within one to ten shots on the Russian?not the Nightforce.

Then I used it for another 47 rounds through a 25mm Hotchkiss, 3000 through a Barrett M90, and 6000 rounds from a Savage M250.

?After six years and all this punishment, the zero settings on the 5.5-22 have never changed and it still works perfectly.

?Nightforce is the best I have ever used.?

?Kent A. Lomont
Manufacturer and dealer of
machine guns and
destructive devices

Below: the .50 BMG (top) compared to the 14.5/114 Russian.

5.5-22 x 56 NXS
The ultimate long range scope. Its 56mm objective lens provides maximum clarity and resolution across the entire magnification range. The most advanced field tactical scopes ever produced, the wide magnification factor of our 5.5-22 series allows precision accuracy at the longest ranges, yet at 5.5 power remains highly effective for shots at close ranges. Nightforce was the first company committed to perfecting extreme magnification variable power scopes. Our years of experience perfecting long-range optics is evident in every scope we build.

Military & law enforcement
Long-range hunting

SPECIFICATIONS

5.5-22x50 NXS
5.5-22x56 NXS

Magnification:
5.5-22x
5.5-22x

Objective Diameter:
50mm
56mm

Exit Pupil Diameter:
9.1mm @ 5.5x
2.36mm @ 22x
10.2mm @ 5.5x
2.5mm @ 22x

Field Of View:
17.5ft @ 5.5x 4.7ft @ 22x
17.5ft @ 5.5x 4.7ft @ 22x

Eye Relief:
3.7in (95mm)
3.9in (99mm)

Internal Adjustment Range:
100moa elev. 60moa wind.
100moa elev. 60moa wind.

Click Value:
.250moa
.250moa

Tube Diameter:
30mm (1.18in)
30mm (1.18in)

Ocular Diameter:
36mm
36mm

Mounting Length:
6.6in
6.6in.

Weight:
31oz
32oz

Overall Length:
15.1in
15.2in

Reticles:
All NP Reticles, CH-1, CH-2, CH-3, MLR, Mil-Dot

All NP Reticles, CH-1, CH-2, CH-3, MLR, Mil-Dot

LAST EDITED ON May-23-08 AT 06:04PM (MST)[p]It would come down to 1 of 2 scopes for me. If I wanted to keep the gun as light as possible (which I probably would) I'd go with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold VXIII and never look back. Otherwise I'd stick a 3-9x 40 Zeiss Conquest on there. I own both and feel that the Conquest line has a slight optical edge over the VXIII's, but they do come with a little bit more weight too, and have a slightly oversize objective bell that can be hard to mount low to your rifle. Take the $500 or $600 you save and put it into other gear to help with the hunt (pack, boots, binocs, spotter)

I agree with BQHIdaho and #####. Get a nightforce. Anybody pushing any other scope must not be familiar with a nightforce scope.

You paid all that money for a gun that weigh's under 6lbs, to do what, put a 2lb scope on it. I hear nothing but great things about the Night Force scopes, but what do you want it for. Your gun may be capable of 1000 yard shooting, but if that isn't your goal I'd look for something a little more in line with the rifle. I happen to have chosen a Zeiss Conquest and really think the optics are spectacular. If you like longer shots they have a 4.5x14 44m and it weighs in at 17oz, which is about 1/2 of the nightforce, with likely no "practical" advantages on your gun up to 6-800 yards.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-08 AT 05:47PM (MST)[p]First I would like to thank everyone that replied.

I bought a Leupold VX-L 4.5 - 14 x 50 B&C. I got to shoot it over the weekend and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks again,
Kyle

Excellent choice with the brand. Leupold makes one of the toughest scopes on the market. Better than the high dollar brands in my opinion.

Great optics at a reasonable price. I would have gone with the x40 or x42 for weight/scabbard fit, but the extra range is always nice.

Dave
www.DukatsJournal.com

All are good scopes, but the next time you pull your gun from the safe to go sight it in for hunting season or accidentally fall and bump your scope and you have to re-sight in your gun think of a Nightforce. Yeah, you spend a little more but well worth it. The strength and integrety of the internal parts in these scopes are simply unparalled. Some of the larger models are heavy, but stay tuned I hear they are coming out with some new smaller/lighter models. Next time you have a chance look at a nightforce next to one of these other scopes. You will notice a big difference in overall quality just by a side by side comparison.

Leupolds are tried and proven with years of use by serious hunters all over the world. A great value compared to optics which cost much more but have not been shown to be better. They are all I have ever bought since my first one in 1980.

Man, you guys are into Nightforce. I'm sure they are good scopes but are obviously for long range applications only given their size and weight.They certainly don't look like something I would want to carry in the mountains.

But to each his own I guess....

Long range only.. no! I havent shot a muley from farther than 200 yards, but I have shot an elk at 600 yards. When the game is spooky and thats all the closer you can get, I guess I will be the one going home with my elk and not you. Thank you very much, I will carry the extra weight in the mountains so I can make clear, accurate, deadly shots! Go ahead and drop that presious leupold... it will be off, i bet you! Drop a nightforce, it will be dead on, everytime!!

Yep,you da man! As for me, I'll just carry less weight and try to get a little closer than 600 yards. (Heck, I can't shoot that good anyway.)

I think if you ever looked threw a nightforce you would see the diff. they are no dought the best scope on the market.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-08 AT 07:55AM (MST)[p]For you Nightforce freaks. Look at a Schmidt and Bender. Then get back to me. For Leupold bashers please observe the video below. It's posted by a gentleman I know on another forum. In it, you'll find great "advice" on how treat your Leupolds, use turrets, barrel break in, and how you ABSOLUTELY need a heavy barrel to shoot further than a 100 yards. It will be interesting to see by your responses if you "get it." I'll give you a couple guesses at to what the scope is.

edited to include link

not night force freaks??? We just think there the best. If you like leupold,,, buy a leupold,, i really dont care what you buy. a guy ask for advice and we told him what we like and what we thought.
Brian

Buy Schmidt & Bender Zenith - Nothing compares...Makes Top of the Line American Scopes look like Tasco. Only thing that comes close is the Swarovski Z6. I have 4 rifles - 22-250, 25.06, .270, &.375 H&H and they all have S&B'S. To good of a scope to not have.

After all, they were designed for shooting lions at Night!!!

>LAST EDITED ON May-23-08
>AT 02:32?PM (MST)

>
>If it were me, i'd get
>a night force! CANNOT BE
>BEAT! I have one and
>love it! No guess work!
>Easy to sight in, check
>out there web site. They
>also have luminated crosshairs if
>you want it. LEGAL to
>use during any big game
>hunt!www.nightforceoptics.com

Schmidt and Bender makes NF look like Tasco.

Schmidt and Bender are the best European... Nightforce is the best American Made around!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom