I need your help

joesikora

Long Time Member
Hello to my MM family I need help!
Ive notice that I missing a lot of shots now days. I noticed my dominant eye is off center and I have a problem with looking down the barrel and seeing the length of the barrel and the bead. this is on my Browning Gold hunter. I know they make shims but which do I need?
My family and I are going to see Gator in SD this fall to shot some Ditch Parrots and I don’t want to let him down and I don’t like to look foolish

Thanks guys

Joe

Were you at one time "good" with this specific weapon and you are no longer, or is this a new weapon that you don't seem as good as when you used to shoot other weapons?

Last edited:
Hi Tri Ive always had a problem with shooting a little high but I usually could kill 15 doves with 1 1/2 to 2 boxes of shells and around here that’s pretty fair
Joe

In my experience, if you're a deadeye with a shotgun, you get your limit before the sun is up and you have to go home...

I'm sorry I'm not experienced enough with your actual question about shims. Also, I don't think I've ever really thought of the bead as an aid. I just use the rail, I think. I wish you good luck.!

When I used to hunt pheasant and quail I had a 20 ga Browning auto. I never looked at the barrel or bead, I just looked at the bird. As soon as the gun hit my shoulder I'd pull the trigger, I'd miss 1 or 2 birds per season. Shot 50 in 1979, the last season I hunted.

Had a Mossberg 500 12 ga before the 20 and I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn shooting the same way, I missed 10 pheasants in a row one opening day with that gun. Only thing I could figure was the rise on the back of that 20s receiver was lined up with my eyes since I leave my head up slightly when I shoot a shotgun. With the 12 I was shooting over everything. Whenever I try to aim down the barrel of any shotgun at a flying bird I can't hit anything.

When I bought that 20 and got rid of the 12 I went from missing virtually everything to killing virtually everything.

Most of the instinctive bow hunters I know shoot the same way, they look at a spot on the animal, draw, and shoot as they reach full draw. If everything fits right, the arrow goes to the point they're looking at.

I don’t understand the question. I think you are talking about an adjustable comb.

Ideally a shotgun shooter “sees” the muzzle in the center of his field of vision - kinda between both eyes as opposed to favoring the right side for a right handed shooter.

The center bead is only to confirm the gun was mounted correctly, and ordinarily you are looking for a “figure 8” with stacked beads.

An adjustable comb is used to fine tune the alignment of the barrel with the shooters face, as we are all built differently.

You will shoot much better if you can try not to look at the beads. Let the force be with you.

Not sure if this helps, but I know guys that shoot a lot of skeet and trap who have guns that cost more than some peoples cars. They all talk about getting the shotgun fitted to them. Most go to really good gunsmiths that specialize in this. Maybe someone at your local range can point you in the right direction.

Joe you need to go to a local trap or skeet range and talk to some of the shooters or coaches there. take your shotgun with you so they can make recommendations on what it needs to fit you, if anything.
RELH

RELH, as I said above I do feel my shooting has changed with age and eyesight LOL!
I live near Olin Brass and they have Nilo Farms which is Olin spelt backwards LOL but they do have shooting pros trap and sporting clays etc. I think it’s time to admit I’m aging LOL!

I know I going off subject here but what the hell I’m not starting a new post for my gun and shooting questions

since we all have a shortage of ammo is it time to start reloading pistol rounds etc or is it just not cost efficient

I seen 500 rods of 22 LR go for $260 in an online auction house
I have I think 3) 500 rd boxes and I guarantee didn’t pay near that for them

I know I going off subject here but what the hell I’m not starting a new post for my gun and shooting questions

since we all have a shortage of ammo is it time to start reloading pistol rounds etc or is it just not cost efficient

I seen 500 rods of 22 LR go for $260 in an online auction house
I have I think 3) 500 rd boxes and I guarantee didn’t pay near that for them
So you’re the a hole with all the .22 rounds! And you come here peacocking? Wow ?

hey guys has anyone ever shot a English stock gun
and was it good or bad in your opinion
Again, not sure what you are talking about. My trap gun is a custom fitted english walnut stock but that doesn’t have much to do with things.

If you are talking about the grip, I prefer a pistol grip over straight.

RELH, as I said above I do feel my shooting has changed with age and eyesight LOL!
I live near Olin Brass and they have Nilo Farms which is Olin spelt backwards LOL but they do have shooting pros trap and sporting clays etc. I think it’s time to admit I’m aging LOL!
This doesn't sound like a stock problem, it sounds like an eyesight issue. Go with what Homer said.

Find a gun fitter in your area to fit the stock to your needs, then QUIT looking at the beads and look at the target!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom