I really, really, really can't judge Barbarys....

5yearcoueshunter

Just got back from opening weekend. Almost didn't go because of the weather forecast, but decided to give it one hard day on Saturday. Went to a new area I hadn't been before and started walking at daylight. By 2:30, had walked about 5-6 miles and did see about 3 sheep a mile off crest a hill, but that was it. Wind was really howling on some of the ridges so I sat down on one of the wind protected slopes and glassed for an hour. Didn't see anything, so I decided to ease my way back the 3 miles to the truck. I had only walked probably 200 yards when I looked back and saw a sheep running on the ridge I was just sitting on! Quickly got my glasses on it and I figured it was probably a 22 - 24 inch Ram. I would be plenty happy with that! The sheep was moving pretty good, but only about 175 yards. My shot was good and the sheep dropped! Right after that, about 10 more sheep came over the hill and ran by. They all looked to be ewes and small animals. I made my way over to my sheep. Even after first glancing at the horns, I thought I accurately judged. It wasn't till after I looked at the belly that I saw it was a Ewe! lol I had a good laugh, but was still very happy with my sheep. I've always felt any public land Barb is a trophy. She turned out to have 20.5 inch horns, which I'm pretty sure is fairly long for a Ewe? After admiring and taking a few pics, the work began. This was my 3rd public land sheep, but the first one I would actually have to pack out! I got very fortunate on my first 2 sheep that they were not too far from a road, so I was able to get them out whole. I finally got the pleasure of packing out a sheep 3 miles in steep canyons, sharp rocks and catclaw brush that wouldn't let me go, half the time in the dark. Fun stuff, but wouldn't trade the experience for the world. Definitely a good day!

100_1518_zps239641b8.jpg
[/URL]

100_1520_zpsa7f3d194.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks,
Travis

Congrats! I killed a 21" ewe before I had ever seen a ram. It looked big to me at the time, although since then I've come to realize that rams are way bigger in body & horn than ewes.

Hard to judge if they are solo, though, unless you've seen quite a few sheep.

Congrats on the sheep I'm sure she will be good eating. They sure don't give u a lot of time to make decisions when they're on the move. Packing them out sure can be tough but looking back when u get to the truck makes it all worth it. I just got back and can't wait til next February if I'm lucky enough to draw again.

Congrats on your barb...again. Any Barb on public land is a good one. Thanks again for taking the time out of your pack out to take my pictures ;)

Aim small... miss small!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dmaxarchr, you're right about the good eating. Had my first steak last night and it's excellent!

Savilo,
It was my pleasure and congrats again on your sheep! No clue you were a fellow MM member. I guess I'll have to start asking people that when I meet them now. haha Sent you a PM.

Travis

>Thanks for the comments guys.
>
>Dmaxarchr, you're right about the good
>eating. Had my first
>steak last night and it's
>excellent!
>
>Savilo,
>It was my pleasure and congrats
>again on your sheep!
>No clue you were a
>fellow MM member. I
>guess I'll have to start
>asking people that when I
>meet them now. haha
> Sent you a
>PM.
>
>Travis

Travis,
I don't post much but lurk the shadows of a few hunting sites, lol. Thanks again and PM sent your way.

Aim small... miss small!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom