I wanna play!

Tristate

Long Time Member
It's been hot. Not seeing lots of deer and your preseason scouting turned up a nice buck you think would go 185 in this area but you haven't seen him since the season opened. Suddenly you find this fella in a little corner all by himself. There's 2 days left to hunt.

What do you think he scores? How old do you think he is? What you gonna do?

20231126_103918.jpg
20231126_104325.jpg
20231126_103949.jpg

great buck! I’m curious in your opinion when is peak rut for mule deer in Texas?

I think he has the look of an older buck, probably around 170”. I’m shooting because I like deer meat.

Hard to say on age. I'd guess 4. And 160's. I think I would hesitate too long. So he would likely live another day if I was behind the trigger.

I've added it up a few times and I'm getting 148-155. Score is not my game though and I think he's cool. I'd shoot him and be super happy.-----SS

G1s average 1"
G2s average 14"
G3s average 5"
G4s average 6.5
MBs average 21"
Mass=32"
Spread Credit=21"

Tell me where I'm wrong? Are the MBs 23"?

Last edited:
Hey Sparks!

Please Quit With The LOW-BALLING!

Did You Not Borrow BEAVIS'S MM Measuring Tape?

I've added it up a few times and I'm getting 148-155. Score is not my game though and I think he's cool. I'd shoot him and be super happy.-----SS

G1s average 1"
G2s average 14"
G3s average 5"
G4s average 6.5
MBs average 21"
Mass=32"
Spread Credit=21"

Tell me where I'm wrong? Are the MBs 23"?

Well folks that old buck is still alive. At least no hunters have killed him. He ended up slipping us when we tried for him.

He's 8+ on age. He's gonna score over 175 but won't break 180. Dam fine buck to kill but an understandable pass for someone determined to hold out for 180.

Thanks for playing.

I'm thinking his is closer to 160" and don't think he would gross over 170". If you have a lot of experience with measuring bucks from this area or have his previous sheds, your estimate would be better than mine.

I would have shot him with 3 of the 4 tags I had this year on the 1st day of the hunt. For most of the tags I get, I'm just looking for a mature 5+ year old buck and I think he would meet that requirement.

I've had tags that I'll have a certain goal and would be ok going home with tag soup. If I had a firm goal of 180"+ or was looking for a specific buck, I wouldn't have a problem passing on him.

BOOM!

OK. 160. 4 1/2. But I'm horrible with guessing score and age.

Oooops. I answered out of order.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom